Weighted clothing is a great way to build your strength without spending hours and hours in the gym. Something as simple as wearing a weighted vest or ankle weights while going for a walk or in your day to day life is a great way to build your strength.
Resistance training is arguably the best way to increase your athletic ability. Through exercises such as weight lifting and dumbbell workouts you can rapidly boost your bodies abilities. Cue weighted clothing, giving you the ability to partake in resistance training from just about anywhere. Also excellent for enhancing or to level up your body weight workouts.
There are many weighted clothing options so in the following post I will explore the different choices you have. Perhaps the best thing to do is to work out what your goals are, where you need the extra weight and what needs to be done to achieve them.
Best Weighted Clothing Options Available Online
The most popular way to add resistance to your workouts, weighted vests are commonly used by armed forces during training. Suitable for those wanting to increase their resistance while walking, jogging, running, sprinting, body weight exercises and just about anything you can imagine.
There are many different styles to choose from and consider. Some of the designs offer the ability to add or remove weights to the vest and others have set amounts of weight inbuilt. The weights can be spread across the front and back or concentrated in one area.
If you are starting out or unsure of what to purchase then an adjustable vest is the best way to go. This allows you to slowly build up your strength and add weight when you are ready.
Although there are many models the following are the three best weighted vests.
Cross 101 Adjustable Weighted Vest, 40 lbs (Camouflage) With Phone Pocket & Water bottle holder
$59.99 in stock
- Weights Included. 10 x 4lbs Iron Ore weights
- Weights are adjustable in 4lbs Increments. Max weight is 40lbs
- One piece design with belt attached onto the vest for easy setup
- 13-Inch in width, One size fits all
- Manufacture warranty included
The Cross 101 Adjustable weighted vest is a best seller. Suitable for a range of applications including leg workouts, push ups, squat jumps, walking and anything else you can think of!
- 10 x 4lbs Iron Ore weights included
- Adjustable in 4 pound increments
- Maximum weight of 40 pounds
- One size
- Manufacturers warranty
- One piece design – ease of use
- Sand bag weights
- 13″ W x 15″ L
Compact, this weight vest measures 15 inches in length from the collarbone down and 13 inches wide. This means you can wear it under your clothes if you don’t want it to be so obvious.
Adjustable in 4 pound increments this is great for those building strength. Being able to increase and decrease your weight is excellent especially when changing to different exercises. For example, your weight capacity for squats and lunges will differ from your weight capacity for push ups.
One size fits all, this vest has straps which allow you to tighten them as needed. The shoulder and neck area, is not adjustable so for some smaller users particularly female you may find this part is too big. There is no concern with using it though as the velcro straps around the waist easily tighten.
The only thing you will need to consider is that the shoulders don’t have padding, if you are using this at maximum capacity you may want to consider purchasing the padded version.
A one piece design really makes using this vest very simple. There are weight compartments in both the front and back of the vest. The weights themselves are actually sand bags, this is surprisingly good as the bags mold to your body easily. Each weight compartment pocket has a velcro top cover to keep it secure.
Overall the Cross 101 Adjustable weighted vest presents excellent value for money, it is a top seller and is adjustable in four pound increments.
RUNFast 12lbs-140lbs Weighted Vest (With Shoulder Pads, 100lbs)
$239.99 in stock
- Every items comes with weights included.
- Weights can be removed in all models.
- One size fits Most, manufacture warranty included.
- 12LBS-140LBS weight options available.
- Shoulder pads options also available
The RunFast Adjustable Weighted Vest can be purchased from 40 pound right through to 140 pounds of adjustable weight. The vest pictured is the 100 pound option.
- Weight options from 20 pounds to 140 pounds
- Velcro straps to secure to body
- One size fits most
- One year manufacturers warranty
Adjustable weight choices are:
- 20 pounds
- 40 pounds
- 50 pounds
- 60 pounds
- 80 pounds
- 100 pounds
- 120 pounds
- 140 pounds
Whichever weighted option you purchase includes the weights to make it that capacity. For example, the 60 pound weight vest includes the weights up to 60 pounds.
Another great thing is that there are empty pockets, meaning separate weights can be purchased and used with the vest if needed.
One size fits most with this vest and there is the option for with or without shoulder pads. I highly recommend shoulder pads if you are getting a vest over 40 pounds.
Versatile this vest has a two band wrap around strap system that can be adjusted for different body types and users. The torso straps are wide but taper in nicely. Although they are velcro straps they are all high quality.
Made from ballistic nylon, this vest is strong and dries well of any sweat. The product includes a one year manufacturers warranty.
Overall the RunFast Adjustable Weighted Vest is a solid purchase for those wanting an adjustable weight vest up to 140 pounds. Well made, this vest is durable and designed to last, included is a one year manufacturers warranty should anything go wrong.
Harbinger HumanX 20-Pound Weight Vest, One Size, Black/Green
- 20LB Weight Vest adjustable in 1LB increments 1 through 20LBS
- Patent pending FLEX weight design contours to body while exercising
- Exclusive compact design fits securely for max mobility
- One size fully adjustable belt for customized fit
- Hand wash cold lay flat to dry
The Harbinger HumanX is an adjustable weighted vest up to 20 pounds making it an ideal walking vest, running vest and for additional body weight exercises.
- 20LB Weight Vest
- Adjustable in 1LB increments
- FLEX weight design contours to body while exercising
- Compact and comfortable fit
- One size fully adjustable belt for customized fit
- Hand wash cold lay flat to dry
This vest has a tough, abrasion resistant outer shell which is resistant to wear and tear. The extra wide and fully adjustable neoprene belt provides an excellent range of tension options.
Dual padding under the shoulders and chest makes for ultimate comfort. The weights are in 1 pound increments up to 20 pounds which truly does make this an ideal weighted vest for a beginner or someone new to resistance training. Great for building strength and confidence as needed.
One of the desirable features of this vest is that you can wash it easily after removing the weights! This is a one size fits all vest and the velcro straps also make it very easy to find a snug and comfortable fit to your body.
Adjusting the weight is also a simple and straightforward process with the neoprene pockets on the interior of the vest.
Overall the Harbinger HumanX is a great option for those new to resistant training and looking to step up their strength.
A weighted shirt is somewhat of a new product to hit the market. The best way to explain it as an under armor style compression shirt that has weight built into it.
Although expensive they offer excellent mobility and flexibility while using them, the weights mold to the body comfortably. For very specific training regimes, weighted shirts are very beneficial. There really is only one contender for the best weighted shirt so let’s take a look.
TITIN® Force Full Weighted Shirt System
- Full set comes with Compression Cover Shirt, Pocket Shirt (14 pockets), and a Full Set of Gel Weights
- Full Set Weighs 8 pounds, but feels like 20 due to dynamic loading
- Shirts are made from Antimicrobial yarn and wicks 2x faster than Under Armour compression shirts
- Gels stay pliable at all temperatures so they can be heated or cooled for pre or post workout recovery. Creates a mobile ice bath or heating pad
- Reinforced zipper on the back enables full range of motion and no restriction during ANY workout.
The Titin Force Full Weighted Shirt system offers an additional 8 pounds of weight to enhance training sessions. Well suited to very specific training regimes in particular high school or college athletes.
- Only weight compression apparel
- Gels can be heated or frozen to treat muscles
- Made from moisture wicking material
- Available in black or white
- Gels come with a lifetime warranty
- Shirts are designed to last 8+ years
The biggest difference between this weighted shirt and a weighted vest is that the weights are snuggly fit to your body as opposed to bouncing around. This offers excellent mobility for the user as well as flexibility making it fantastic for athletes.
The gels packs can be heated or frozen and remain in that states for 30-45 minutes. There are 14 pockets that account for 8 pounds of weight.
Made from antimicrobial yarn this wicks moisture twice as fast as Under Armour compression garments. This is great for keeping odor and germs away!
There is also a reinforced zipper on the back which allows for a full range of motion without any restriction.
Another great feature is that the shirts are designed to last 8+ years and the gel packs come with a lifetime warranty.
Overall the Titin Force Full Weighted Shirt is an excellent option if you have the budget and the need for a weighted shirt. The best aspect is arguably the ability to use the weight packs as frozen and heat packs for muscle recovery.
Wanting to work the lower body a little more than usual? Then weighted shorts are the answer! Excellent for working the quads, hamstrings, hip flexors and knees this is a great way to build lower body strength.
Available in a range of materials and styles these shorts need to be well fitted as they will become annoying if not.
The TITIN Force Weighted Compression SHORTS System (2X-Large)
- TITIN is the world's ONLY weighted compression apparel
- Helps improve speed, endurance, strength, vertical leap
- The gels can be heated or frozen and stay hot or frozen for 30-45 minutes, while staying pliable and flexible at all temperatures
- In joint study w/Under Armour TITIN increased lactate intake by 25%, vertical by 13%, endurance by 11%, top end speed by 3% and strength/agility
- The gels have a lifetime warranty and the shirts will last 8-10 years of consistent use
Titin Force Weighted shorts offer an additional 4.5 pounds of weight to your legs. Due to dynamic loading the force felt is the equivalent of a 35 pound weight vest.
- Compression style shorts
- 4.5 pounds of extra weight
- Gel weights can also be frozen and heated for muscle recovery
- Anti-microbial and moisture wicking
The weight is concentrated on the hamstrings, thighs and glutes which can help with posture, explosiveness and strength.
Moisture wicking and anti-microbial this shirt is odor and bacteria resistant. The gel weights can also be frozen and heated for muscle recovery purposes, the same as the Titin shirt can. Gel placement has been strategically positioned so no joints will be affected by the hot and cold gels.
The shorts use as belt-like system to stay intact and can be worn as compression under garments and even out wear without the gel weights.
One of the most important things is that the shorts do not impede on your natural movement so there is no stress and abuse on the body joints.
Available in 2 XL and 3 XL these shorts will last over 8 years with consistent use and the gel weights have a lifetime warranty.
If you are looking to purchase quality weighted shorts then the Titin Force Weighted Shorts, although expensive are the best quality available.
A little more workout specific, weighted gloves can provide strengthening into your wrists and forearms. They are most commonly used by walkers, boxers, martial arts trainers, aerobic exercises, swimming and MMX training.
Gloves have the weights on the back of the hands which keep your palms free for grabbing things, holding things and punching things.
They fit just as a normal glove does and are secured via a velcro strap that generally wraps around the wrist or back over itself.
There are a few different options for weighted gloves so let’s take a look at the top two products.
Nayoya Weighted Gloves
$19.47 in stock
- Left and right hand weighted gloves weight 1 pound each. They are easy to put on and take off while securing the gloves with an adjustable closure. These gloves have the perfect weight to add extra intensity to workouts without making you feel weighed down
- Adds resistance to your workouts and helps with hand speed, coordination as well as increased endurance. Strengthens and tones your arms and shoulders. You will feel the added intensity because your arms and shoulders will be getting a tremendous workout. Provides cushion and comfort
- Extremely comfortable without weighing you down during your routine of choice. Made of neoprene with a well balanced construction to cushion your hands. The weighted gloves stay fastened and do not slip while in use.
- Improves cardio and conditioning. Great for boxing, kickboxing, treadmill routines, brisk walks, and other cardiovascular activities. When traveling, these weighted gloves can easily be packed in your gym bag, carry on or luggage without worrying about extra weight or space. While in use they stay tight against your hands, so there's no moving around while throwing punches
- One size fits all. Recommended by therapists for post stroke therapy to help strengthen the weaker side that was affected by the stroke
The Nayoya Weighted Gloves offer 1 pound of weight on each hand, positioned on the back. Just enough weight to enhance your workout but not so much that it becomes a struggle.
- 1 pound per glove
- Easy to take on off
- Easily secure via a velcro strap
- Weight is on the back of the hand keeping your palms free
- Made from neoprene
- Comfortable to wear
The pair includes a glove for both the left and right hand, they are very easy to take on and off and secured with a velcro, adjustable closure tab.
Made from neoprene the design is comfortable and offers cushioning on the hands. The gloves are a one size fits all design although with the adjustable closure tab this is not a problem.
Due to the compact size these gloves fit just about anywhere so no need to worry too much about extra weight and space.
Weighted gloves are great for boxing, kickboxing, walking and running to name a few but also provide a workout to your arms and shoulders.
Overall the Nayoya Weighted Gloves are a great booster to your workout with an additional 1 pound of weight per hand. Affordable, comfortable and made to last these weighted gloves are a great purchase.
Weighted sleeves can be uses on either the forearms or the calves. Leg sleeves or calve sleeves offer extra resistance to the lower legs during walks, running, calisthenics and martial arts type training.
Arm sleeves are a great way to improve your arm strength and speed, typically used to improve arm mechanics for athletes such as baseball players, golfers, martial artists and sprinted. They offer a gentle amount of weight without over loading and injuring the shoulder and elbow joints.
Sleeves a generally made from a thin, expandable fabric that offers a snug fit. It is also favorable to choose an anti-bacterial fabric to avoid any skin irritations.
There are many different designs and weights range from 1pound to 6 pounds. Securing the sleeves is fairly simple, they are tight fitting but they can also have velcro straps to further secure them.
Body Togs for Legs - Large - Weighted Sleeves
- Will fit calf circumference of 16.5 - 18.5 inches.
- Burn more calories
- Tone muscles
- Unique no show design
- Make every move count.
Body Togs for Legs are weighted leg sleeves that are designed for everyday wear. The company was started in 2005 by a certified bariatric physician to help his patients burn calories, lose weight, tone muscle and improve their overall health.
- Each sleeve has a weight of 2.5 pounds
- Burns calories
- Tones muscles
- Available in 4 different sizes
Developed by a US board certified obesity medicine specialist these leg sleeves are going to help you achieve your goals whether that be weight lose or muscle toning. Utilizing the science of non-exercise activity thermogensis (NEAT) these can improve your overall health.
The leg sleeves are designed to fit comfortably and snugly around the calves with a low-profile design. This means you can wear them under clothes and they are not obvious.
Made from a lycra and spandex blend they are flexible and more with your body allowing for freedom of movement.
Each leg sleeve has a weight of 2.5 pounds offering a total weight of 5 pounds. Available in the following sizes:
- Small – calf circumference of 10.5 – 12.5 inches
- Medium – calf circumference of 12.5 – 16.5 inches
- Large – calf circumference of 16.5 – 18.5 inches
- X-large – calf circumference of 18.5 + inches
BodyTogs leg sleeves are a comfortable and snug fit, the low profile design makes it possible to wear under your clothes for everyday use.
SPRI Perfect Fit Arm Weights, 3 lbs
$19.99 in stock
3 used from $ 17.47
- Pair of wearable weights that adjust from 1-1.5Lbs
- Slim-fit design conforms to body and can even be hidden under clothes
- Add resistance to multiple workout activities
- Lightweight, breathable Nylon sleeve
- Adjustable closure for a secure fit
The Spri Arm Weights are unique, slim-fitting nylon sleeves that are comfortable to wear and conform to the body without limiting mobility and movement.
- Weighted arm sleeves
- Slim-fit design
- Breathable nylon sleeve
- Adjustable closure for a secure fit
Low-profile, the sleeves can easily be disguised under clothing for everyday wear. Included are removable weight segments to adjust the weight from 1 to 1.5 pounds per arm.
Featuring velcro tabs at each end this allows the user to secure the weighted sleeve firmly in place. The sleeves are breathable which makes it possible to comfortably use for extended periods of time.
Great for adding a little extra resistance to your walks, runs and training sessions. The sizing runs quite small with these sleeves so be sure to check your sizing requirements before purchasing.
The Spri Arm Weights are a great way to add resistance training to your everyday activities. Low profile, these can be worn under clothing without being obvious.
Weighted Wrist/Ankle Weights
Wrist and ankle weights are interchangeable, so if you purchase ankle weights you can most definitely use them as wrist weights too. Easy to attach they are great for just about any application you can think of!
The majority of these weights are fixed via velcro straps which may not offer enough security for running or jogging, well at least not with the heavier weights. One also needs to take care if wanting to run with ankle weights on as knee injuries can result with additional weight if you were to ‘land’ in the wrong spot.
Nordic Track Ankle/Wrist Weights
$19.95 in stock
- ANKLE / WRIST WEIGHTS: With included Carry Bag - by Premium Fitness Equipment brand Nordic Lifting™
- COMFORTABLE & DURABLE: Designed for comfort and durability with reinforced stitching and neoprene padding
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE & SAFE: Easily switch from ankle to wrist with a large Velcro pad - The weights even have a reflective trim which provides safety for outdoor use
- A "MUST HAVE": For home workouts, walking, jogging, core training, Cross Training, aerobics, gym and many other fitness workouts
- INCLUDED: 2x Ankle / Wrist Weights, 1x Carry Bag, Instructions Manual - With 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty for Defects
Nordic Lifting Ankle/Wrist Weights are available in three different weights 1 pound, 2 pounds and 3 pounds as well as a convenient carry bag to store and transport them.
- Available in 1 pound, 2 pounds and 3 pounds weights
- Sand weighted
- Reflective trim for outdoor use
- Made from premium materials
- Comfortable and well padded
- Large velcro pad for adjustability
- One year manufacturers warranty
Comfortable and durable these weights have neoprene padding for comfort as well as reinforced stitching.
Fully adjustable via a large velcro pad, this allows for ease of switching between the ankles and wrists as well as between different users. One size fits most.
Sand weighted in either 1 pound, 2 pounds or 3 pounds they easily conform to the ankle/wrist and make it comfortable to use.
Highly rated the Nordic Lifting Ankle/Wrist Weights are a quality product manufactured by a reputable fitness brand. Included with the purchase is the two weights, carry bag, instruction manual and a one year manufacturers warranty against defects.
HEALTHYMODELLIFE Ankle Weights Set
$29.99 in stock
3 used from $ 26.39
- ★ WORN BY VICTORIA SECRET ANGELS - Our remarkable cuffs are padded above the competition, keeping you focused on your form, and toning those glutes to perfection. These are Best In Class! Go on, compare us. You'll find all others are ugly and poor quality.
- ★ THE NEXT LEVEL - Increase resistance, and you increase your fitness gains! Combining unbeatable comfort with an enduring design, we help you get from zero to hero faster by adding just the right amount of resistance for your home gym routines!
- ★ EVERYWHERE YOU ARE - Whether it's a brisk jog on your lunch break, or a mean Pilates session on Saturday, Healthy Model Life weights are up to the task and easy to take with you. So, when you need a little extra challenge, we're here to make sure you're getting healthier and stronger!
- ★ SNUG AS A BUG - You don't have to worry about flipping as our sure stay grip keeps our weights perfectly positioned on your ankles without you having to endure the constant adjustments that some of the "other guys" cuffs need.
- ★ GUARANTEED - Buying online can be scary sometimes. That's why we've made sure your buying experience with Healthy Model Life is as stress free as possible with a full LIFETIME REPLACEMENT OR REFUND GUARANTEE! It's up to you, but if you feel our product hasn't met your needs, just let us know, and we'll do whatever it takes to make it right!
The HealthyModelLife Ankle Weights are available in 1 pound, 5 pounds and 8 pounds offering a fairly higher weight range than most ankle weights.
- Available as 1 pound, 5 pounds and 8 pounds
- Extra padding for comfort
- Double stitching for durability
- Extra strong velcro
Designed with comfort and functionality in mind, these weights offer extra padding which means you can remain focussed on form.
For those wanting more weight range then this set is a great option. They are affordable and very durable meaning they are designed to last. Double stitching further enhances this.
As the labelling goes these are targeted at women but many men have left positive reviews. The brand also promotes that these weights are used by Victoria Secret models.
Available as a one size fits all the weights come with a very large velcro patch which makes it easy to adjust to all different sizes as well as from ankle to wrist.
What’s more is that the HealthyModelLife Ankle Weights come with a lifetime replacement of refund guarantee.
If you are unable to carry weight on the shoulders due to injury then a weight belt is a great way around this. Available in a range of weights the resistance on your hips makes it more manageable than concentrated on the upper body.
Consider the weight you would like and be sure to check how the belt fastens around the waist. For the heavier types of belts you will need to ensure this is secure so it doesn’t slip off while in use.
Power Systems VersaFit Belt, Adjustable Weight Belt, 10 Pound, Black (90550)
$47.29 in stock
- Weighted exercise belt
- Adjustable Velcro closures ensure a secure fit for waist sizes 30 inch to 46 inch
- Quickly add or remove weight without taking belt off
- Includes: belt and 10 1-pound flexible weights
- Exercise training aid for speed, agility, strength, power, running, football, basketball, baseball, soccer and all other athletic, fitness, weight, or cross training
The Power Systems VersaFit Belt is a fully adjustable weight belt that includes 10 one pound weights allowing you to add to the belt as needed.
- Weighted exercise belt
- Adjustable Velcro closures Quickly add or remove weight without taking belt off
- 10 1-pound flexible weights
- Comfortable and durable
Adjustable weights of one pound can be added in increments making it great for building up your strength and adding to it as needed. The great thing is you don’t need to remove the belt to add the weights as they are all external pockets.
The velcro closure is adjustable and offers a secure fit for waist sizes 30inches to 46 inches which is a large variance.
Made from black nylon, there isn’t too much cushioning but it is comfortable to wear. In most cases this would be worn over clothing so there shouldn’t be a problem.
Overall in terms of a weighted belt system the Power Systems VersaFit Belt offers 10 pounds of weight in increments of 1 pound.
Wrapped around the shoe, these weights offer resistant that doesn’t need to be worn. How the weights attach to the shoes differs so the style should reflect what you are looking for. Some wrap the entire way around which may annoy some people.
If you have issues with ankle weights then shoe weights are a fantastic alternative.
NordicTrack 4 lb Pair Shoe Weights
- Two 2 lb. shoe weights
- Adjustable, hook and loop closure
- Easy-wrap, no-slip design
- Comfortable neoprene fabric
- Durable sole. One size fits most
The Nordic Track Shoe weights feature an easy wrap, no slip design that are a great replacement for ankle weights.
- Two 2 pound shoe weights
- Adjustable, hook and loop closure
- No-slip design
- Comfortable neoprene fabric
- Durable sole
- One size fits most
Ergonomically designed these shoe weights distribute weight evenly around your feet, are comfortable and will not slip!
Adjustable via the hook and loop closure, they come as a one size fits all. Made from neoprene fabric, this isn’t such a concern as your shoes act as a buffer for any discomfort.
They are easy to attach and easy to remove. Weighing 2 pounds each this provides an extra boost to your walks, runs and workout regimes. The only customer complaint is that they need to offer more weight options!
The Nordic Track Shoe weights offer great value for those wanting or needing to find an alternative to ankle weights. A quality brand offering a quality product.
Why Use Weighted Clothing?
If you’ve found your way to this article, chances are you already know the benefits! However, by adding weight to your body and thus providing resistance, muscle groups have the ability to work harder and become stronger.
While lifting weights is great there are many workouts that are body weight, agility movements or plyometric based which means you can’t really lug bug weights around. For these types of workouts it can be very beneficial to wear weighted clothing to further enhance and challenge yourself.
Ready to take your workouts or muscle strengthening to the next level? Weighted clothing provides you with the ability to do so. There are many different options available so in this post I have done my best to highlight the best brands for each muscle group.
Weighted clothing is a great way to enhance your workouts, complete rehabilitation exercises as well as for everyday wear to burn calories and tone the body.