If exercise bikes and treadmills have a disadvantage, it is that they only work your legs. You could buy a rowing machine instead, but rowing can be hard on your back, as well as your butt! Ellipticals allow you to work your legs and arms at the same time, which is a huge advantage. But which one should you get?
In our Sole e95 Elliptical review, we’ll help you decide if this is the right home workout machine for you.
Ellipticals are reported to burn more calories than bikes and treadmills, and they are low impact too. This means they are much easier on your joints. That’s good news if you have bothersome ankles, knees, or hips, or you are overweight.
Do you want a low impact workout that works every muscle in your body, but you can also do in the comfort of your own home? An elliptical could be just what you are looking for.
Sole e95 Elliptical Review
- Features. Max User Capacity- 400 lbs.. Features: Tablet/Phone, USB Device Charging.
- Program Listed-10. Pulse Grips and Chest Strap Compatible. Heart Rate Monitor.
- Chest Strap Included. Cooling Fans. Sound System.
- Water Bottle Holder Included. Flywheel Weight (lbs) 27 lbs.. Pedal Size-Not Listed.
- Maximum Stride Length- Adjustable 20"-22". Incline Power Adjustable 1-20 Adjustable 10 Positions. Pedals Cushioned.
The Sole e95 Elliptical is one of the best machines in its class. It’s close to professional-grade and would not look out of place in a commercial gym. It’s loaded with useful features, and the main ones are:
- Electromagnetic resistance with a 30-pound flywheel – some ellipticals rely on friction brakes for resistance. This makes them noisy and also means there are more parts to wear out. The combination of EMG braking and a hefty flywheel means the Sole e95 Elliptical is all very quiet in use. It has a very smooth leg and arm action, and won’t need much maintenance.
- Adjustable stride length – with 20” to 22” stride length, the Sole e95 Elliptical can accommodate most users in comfort.
- Large, grippy pedals – with plenty of space for your feet, you’ll have no problem finding and maintaining a comfortable stance during your workout. You’ve also got space to move your feet forward and back to keep your feet free from aches and pains. The pedals are padded and articulated, so your feet stay flat and comfortable throughout your workout.
- Adjustable incline – pump up the intensity of your workout by increasing the incline. The incline range of the Sole e95 Elliptical goes from 0 to 20, which should be enough for even the most advanced exercisers. The steeper the incline, the higher you’re your steps will be, and the more your legs and butt will have to work.
- Ten built-in workout programs – not sure what workout to do? Just select one of the ten customizable programs installed on the computer.
- Bluetooth connectivity – connect your smart devices, headphones, and heart rate monitor directly to the Sole e95 Elliptical without having to rely on messy cables. There is also a built-in USB charging port to keep your devices fully powered. The Bluetooth feature also means you can link the Sole e95 Elliptical to third-party fitness apps such as Strava, iHealth, and MyFitnessPal. This is useful if you want a more detailed overview of your workout.
- Speakers – do you prefer to exercise without headphones? The Sole e95 Elliptical has two Bluetooth-powered speakers.
- Heat rate strap – sold as extra with many workout machines, the Sole e95 Elliptical comes complete with a wireless heart rate monitor strap.
- Built-in heart rate monitor grips – located on the arm levers as well as the stationary front handles, you can keep track of your heart rate even if you don’t want to wear a heart rate strap.
- Integrated tablet/book/magazine holder – don’t get bored while you work out. Use the integrated media rack to hold whatever you need to make your workouts more entertaining and enjoyable.
- Transport wheels – just tip and roll your Sole e95 Elliptical into your preferred workout location.
- Twin water-bottle holders – don’t get dehydrated during your workout. Place a water bottle in either (or both) holders, so you have hydrating fluids within easy each.
- 9” LCD computer workout display – access the built-in workouts and see your workout performance on this clear, backlit, LCD screen.
Ellipticals are generally not as big as treadmills but take up more space than most exercise bikes. Here are the Sole e95 Elliptical’s dimensions and other important specifications:
- Height – 58”
- Width – 32”
- Length – 83”
- Weight – 205 lbs.
- User capacity – 400 lbs.
The computer on the Sole e95 Elliptical is easy to use. It has all the features you’d expect from such a functional workout machine. The 9″ LCD display is bright, clear, and easy to read. The functions on the computer include:
- Resistance level
- Calories burned
- Heart rate
If the Sole e95 Elliptical has a weakness, it is that the computer only offers ten programs. While each one is customizable, this is a little disappointing as even budget ellipticals can match this number. The programs are manual/quick start, cardio, fat burn, hill climb, interval, and strength. Two further programs use heart rate data from the wireless chest strap to help you maintain a constant level of exertion. The final two programs are defined by the user.
Unfortunately, you cannot increase the number of programs as there is no way to update the Sole e95 Elliptical’s software. If you want more workout variation, you’ll have to create more of your own workouts.
Ease of Use
One of the great things about ellipticals is that they are so easy to use. With nothing to adjust, you just get on and start exercising. The computer is equally easy to use, and you’ll have no problem finding and selecting an appropriate workout program in seconds.
The movement itself is equally easy – both to learn and on your body. With rowers, the next-best full-body workout, you’ll need to learn how to row correctly if you want to get the best results from your workout and avoid injury. Ellipticals are much more instant. Just get on and go!
The Sole e95 Elliptical requires some assembly. While this isn’t an unusually large or difficult job, it could take you a couple of hours and will go more smoothly if you work with a partner. Because of the size of the Sole e95 Elliptical, make sure you assemble it in the room you are going to use it in. It probably won’t fit through a standard doorway once you’ve put it together. However, the transport wheels do mean you’ll be able to reposition it easily.
This machine is built to last and backed by one of the most comprehensive warranties around. The Sole e95 Elliptical’s warranty covers:
- Frame: Lifetime
- Parts: 5 Years
- Electronics: 5 Years
- Labor: 2 Years
Sole Fitness also provides in-home servicing for all repairs.
For all-round fitness and fat burning, ellipticals are very hard to beat. They’re low impact, so they’re easy on your joints and also work virtually every muscle in your body. This means a workout on an elliptical provides you with a lot of bang for your buck.
However, some ellipticals are definitely better than others. A poor quality elliptical won’t provide an enjoyable or effective workout. You probably won’t even want to use it much, and it’ll just end up gathering dust or up for sale on eBay!
The Sole e95 Elliptical is a joy to use. Comparable to a professional gym machine, it delivers a great workout and will continue doing so for years to come. Backed by a very comprehensive warranty, you can buy with confidence knowing your machine will work faithfully for many years to come.
The Sole e95 Elliptical is not the cheapest workout machine on the market, but it is one of the best. More than ten built-in workout programs would have been useful but, because you can create your own, this is nothing more than a very minor inconvenience. Still not convinced? We’ve also reviewed the best ellipticals available!
Check out our ratings for the Sole E95 Elliptical - a great option for a solid home workout.