A lot of people take omega-three fatty acids for their anti-inflammatory effects. They’re good for heart health and can help reduce joint pain too. Also known as EFAs, these fats are usually extracted from fish and also cod livers. A lot of people call this type of supplement fish oil.
Omega XL is a premium dietary supplement that’s rich in EFAs but, instead of being sourced from fish, the oils come from green-lipped mussels from New Zealand.
This, according to the manufacturer, makes Omega XL much purer and more effective. It’s also got less of a fishy aftertaste than supplements made from fish oil.
Omega XL is sold in 60s, 120s, and 300s, and are manufactured by OmegaXL. Each two-capsule serving provides 300mg of a variety of healthy oils, plus vitamin E. The capsules are made from gelatin, which means this product is not suitable for vegetarians or vegans as gelatin is an animal by-product.
- XL BENEFITS BEYOND OMEGA-3s - The ultimate joint health and mobility support supplement. OmegaXL goes beyond standard omega-3 supplements that mainly contain just EPA and DHA. It is a concentrated source of green-lipped mussel oil packed with a powerful combination of healthy fatty acids and lipid mediators. Backed by over 35 years of clinical research, this high-potency blend promotes joint, muscle, immune and respiratory health.
- MUSSELS FOR YOUR JOINTS - Our one-of-a-kind proprietary formula helps to relieve occasional exercise-related joint and muscle soreness by providing omega-3 fatty acids in a more absorbable free fatty acid form than standard fish oils. Don’t let minor aches hold you back from living a healthy active life. OmegaXL is a drug-free, natural dietary supplement that when taken daily, has been shown to promote joint health and improved mobility.
- MORE THAN A FISH OIL - OmegaXL contains the oil extract from green-lipped mussels, not fish. The green-lipped mussels are exclusively sourced from and sustainably farmed in the pristine water of New Zealand. The oil extract contains over 30 free fatty acids, including EPA and DHA.
- GET THE BENEFITS, WITHOUT THE FISHY AFTERTASTE - OmegaXL is provided in a convenient, small and easy-to-swallow soft gel with no fishy aftertaste or burps. This product is free of gluten, allergenic levels of shellfish protein, artificial ingredients, milk, yeast, and corn.
- COMMITTED TO WELLNESS - Founded in 2003 Great HealthWorks is dedicated to delivering quality health and wellness products to our consumers. Our mission is to make meaningful differences in peoples lives by offering natural, science-based solutions. TIP: During the summer or in warmer climates, keep your supplements in the refrigerator or a cool, dry place to maintain their original soft gel form.
Omega XL Ingredients
According to the manufacturer, Omega XL is made from only the finest natural ingredients. Scientifically formulated, this product contains 22 times more EFAs than a standard fish oil supplement. As such, a little goes a long way, and the capsules are much smaller than traditional fish oil pills.
The main ingredients in Omega XL and the benefits are:
Green-lipped mussel oil – harvested from New Zealand mussels, this substance is a renowned anti-inflammatory agent that is traditionally used to reduce joint pain and swelling. In addition, it’s also been used as a treatment for asthma, exercise-induced muscle soreness, and attention deficit disorder. It’s also been used as a cancer treatment, although it’s most common use is in the treatment of osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
The active substance in green-lipped mussel oil is something called PCSO-524. This oil contains 30 different fatty acids, very few of which are found in regular fish oils.
Extra virgin olive oil – extra-virgin olive oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids. Like green-lipped mussel oil, it’s also anti-inflammatory and is closely linked to improved cardiovascular health. Extra virgin olive oil is a big part of the Mediterranean diet, considered by many doctors to be the healthiest diet around.
D-alpha tocopherol – another name for vitamin E, this is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means it’s only found and utilized in the presence of fats and oils. Vitamin E has a wide range of functions and effects, including prevention of free radical damage, longer cell life, protection against pollutants, maintenance of eyesight, the production of hormones, and the secretion of the bile acids necessary for the digestion of fats.
Gelatin and glycerin – these substances are inert and are what the capsules are made of. Gelatin is made from animal bones and skins, usually bovine, while glycerin is made from vegetable oil.
Purified water – although listed in the ingredients list, Omega XL only contains minuscule amounts of purified water. However, the fact that is a) is listed at all and b) is purified means this product contains no harmful additives, heavy metals, or other unwanted and potentially harmful substances.
Benefits of using Omega XL
Omega XL is mainly recommended as a joint pain remedy. The active ingredient, green-lipped mussel oil, is a proven anti-inflammatory, which means it helps reduce swelling and redness, both of which are a source of pain. Unlike non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, green-lipped mussel oil has very few side effects or interactions, and that means it’s safe for most people to use.
As well as being suitable for joint pain, Omega XL could be beneficial for any condition caused or made worse by inflammation, including:
- Coronary heart disease
- Some cancers
- Alzheimer’s disease
Because green-lipped mussel has no significant side effects or interactions, it can be used alongside other types of treatment, such as corticosteroids and NSAIDs.
Is it Certified?
Omega XL has been manufactured and studied for over 30 years. In one study, a cohort of 50 people reported an 89% reduction in joint pain. In another study, 91% of participants reported an increase in quality of life. Studies have also shown that Omega XL can have a positive effect on lung and respiratory function, making it useful for asthmatics as well as those with joint pain.
Taken in small amounts, Omega XL should be safe for most users. However, in rare cases, it could cause the following side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Intestinal gas
Because it’s made from shellfish, Omega XL is not suitable for anyone with a shellfish allergy. Nor is it suitable for vegetarians or vegans. It should NOT be taken by during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Currently, no known interaction with other supplements or medications has been reported.
If in doubt, consult your medical practitioner before using this supplement.
Who should and shouldn’t be using Omega XL?
Omega XL is suitable for anyone over the age of 14 years of age who has joint pain or suffers from illnesses caused or that result in inflammation. It’s a natural product, so it should not cause unwanted side effects or interact with any other medications. It is, however, quite expensive, so users will need to financially commit to using this product for 3-6 months or so for it to work its magic. This is not a quick-fix medication like NSAIDs can be.
Because of this, most users should consider buying a 300-capsule supply, which is enough to last 150 days.
Painful inflammatory conditions are all too common. Some, like joint pain, are caused by wear and tear. Others are caused by stress, diet, and pollutants. Inflammation can affect every cell in your body, causing systemic inflammation, a leading cause of pain and illness.
If you scratch your skin, within minutes, you’ll see a red, swollen line appear on the affected area. This is inflammation and is actually part of the repair and healing process. It signifies an increase in blood flow and an influx of white, infection-fighting blood cells. This inflammation will soon pass, and everything will quickly go back to normal.
In chronic inflammation, the redness and swelling can last months, if not years. The cells are bombarded by white blood cells, causing an auto-immune reaction in which the body attacks itself. NSAIDs help reduce the symptom of inflammation, but not the cause.
Omega XL is formulated to stop inflammation at its source and, because it’s a natural product, it’s safe for long-term use, unlike NSAIDs, which can be very harmful if used for too long or in large amounts.
Visit the Fitness Equipment Reviews homepage for more expert reviews.
Choosing the best fish oil supplement should be easy with our detailed review and ratings.