Some home gym machines are simplistic and don’t include many workout stations. As a result, they may be poor substitutes for an actual gym membership since you won’t be able to reliably hit most staple exercises.
But the Marcy Smith cage system MD-9010g isn’t like that at all. In fact, it’s the exact opposite; it’s been built from the ground-up to include so many possible exercise stations that you’ll never need a gym membership again. In our Marcy Diamond Home Gym review, we’ll examine its key features and specifications so you can learn it’ll be a good pick for your exercise routine.
Marcy MD-9010G Smith Cage Home Gym Review
Marcy Smith Cage Workout Machine
$999.99 in stock
2 used from $910.79
- All-steel construction – This home gym system is made with heavy-duty steel frame reinforced with durable powder coated finish. It utilizes sturdy aircraft cable With a tensile strength of 2, 000 lb. That’s guaranteed to withstand intense long-lasting use
- Multi-functional press arms – this versatile weight system home gym is designed with dual Action press arms. The press arms allow you to perform a variety of arm and chest exercises to develop your biceps, triceps, pectorals, and other muscle groups!
- Dual-action leg developer – featuring a dual-function leg developer with six oversize rocker pads and a row/curl bar, This unit comes with a pivot point that facilitates proper body form during workouts, allowing maximum effect on targeted muscle groups
- Olympic free-weight rack – engage in intense weightlifting or strength training right in the comfort of your home! It includes 6 weight plate pegs that are built into the frame, letting you organize weights/barbells on the machine for easy accessibility
- All-in-one workout station –This complete training system features an innovative structure that combines arm and leg stations for strengthening different muscle groups and executing comprehensive workouts, limiting the need to switch between gym equipment
The MD-9010g is quite a massive machine and you’ll need plenty of room in your indoor space or garage to use it effectively. Keep in mind that the below specifications are the minimum space necessary to set it up, not to enjoy to its full potential.
The Marcy Smith machine features dimensions that measure in at 95” x 70” x 85”. However, you want to give yourself at least an extra couple of feet of room in both the length and width dimensions to properly move around the gym machine and adjust its equipment.
The MD-9010g weighs 400 pounds once it’s fully assembled, meaning it’ll be difficult to move or adjust once it’s been set up. In fact, we’d recommend having someone else handy when you receive the machine after ordering it since carrying its various parts in the boxes can be difficult alone.
The frame is made from 14-gauge steel tubing and can support up to 600 pounds of total weight.
Since the MD-9010g combines three different types of strength building machines into a single design, you’ll be able to perform over 100 quality exercises that are replicable in a standard gym. This versatility makes it an excellent choice for serious fitness enthusiasts.
Frame and Accessories
The MD-9010g’s frame is made from heavy-duty tubular steel that is built to last for a long time to come and will withstand years of regular use provided you maintain the frame properly. It has an industrial finish on the twin frames on either side of the main seat which will make it look like it fits in at any regular exercise club.
The frame will maintain balance due to its overall weight and the presence of flat metallic feet that prevents the machine from slipping or sliding across smooth surfaces such as the concrete of a garage. These feet are durable by themselves, and you shouldn’t need to spend time maintaining them. They can have holes drilled in them if you want to bolt the machine to your floor.
There are six Olympic weight plate storage pegs. These allow you to store your various equipment pieces or weights. There’s also a dual-function leg developer, a low pulley with a footrest, a free weight squat rack and a Marcy Olympic-weight bench. Basically, if there’s an exercise you want to tackle, the MD-9010g that will allow you to do it.
The MD-9010g has several adjustable catches and safety stoppers to improve your safety during your workout. The adjustable catches and stoppers are great for beginners but are just as important for experienced bodybuilders that want to push the limits of their endurance and efficiently grow your muscle groups.
What about the bench and seat? The MD-9010g’s bench can be set up in either a flat or inclined orientation depending on the exercise you want to perform. You can sit on it back or front and even combine it with the included footplate to perform seated rows that are just as effective as ones you’d accomplish at the gym.
The seat can easily be adjusted up to several inches to accommodate people of different sizes, and it includes several inches of foam padding. The padding doesn’t depress very quickly and has a vinyl cover that will increase its durability under stress and sweat.
There’s an included Smith bar, as well, which is arguably one of the standout features of the set. The Smith bar is positioned on a gliding rail that prevents it from tipping over and causing an accident. When combined with the aforementioned stoppers and catches, the bar isn’t likely to cause you harm, even if you are learning how to work out properly.
What’s more, is the preacher curl pad included on the frame. Extend this curl pad and you can give your biceps the workout of their lives. Other stations included pectoral or deltoid station and a number of positions for crossover pulleys. All in all, there’s an almost uncountable number of different stations or frame inclusions that make the MD-9010g a home gym worth checking out.
The Marcy Diamond Elite comes with several accessories, including an ankle strap and lat bar. There’s also a chrome row handle that lets you perform rows just like you would at a typical gym, plus two single handles. There’s also an included shiver bar and triceps rope. Keep in mind that the weights for the triceps rope need to be purchased separately from the Marcy Smith manufacturing center or online store.
Assembly and Maintenance
Putting the MD-9010g together isn’t that complex but it will take about five hours. However, you’ll need a second pair of hands to bring its various boxes and equipment into your home due to its high weight. The included instructions are simple but comprehensive, so be prepared to spend a little while sitting amongst the parts.
You’ll need to supply your own tools for the assembly, as well. These include two adjustable wrenches and a Philips screwdriver.
Maintaining the Marcy Diamond Elite Smith machine isn’t too much trouble. We’d recommend using an oil to ensure that the moving parts of the machine continue working properly.
You should periodically investigate the nuts and bolts of the machine to make sure that everything is screwed in tightly. Don’t forget to grease the linear ball bearings as well, to increase its maneuverability and safe function.
Finally, it’s never a bad idea to wipe down the machine with a cloth and detergent to get rid of corrosive sweat or other moisture from its various surfaces.
The MD-9010g works with independent pulley functions. Each pulley operates with a separate motion system, meaning that each exercise can be executed with precision and a full range of motion. All in all, even many exercise club machines don’t reach the effectiveness of the MD-9010g when it comes to exercise quality.
The pulleys used by the MD-9010g vary in terms of weight ratios. Each pulley’s exact ratios can be found in the manual, but the most common are:
- Low pulley station: 10 pounds of weight plates, 20 pounds of resistance
- Pat pulldown station: 10 pounds of weight plates, 5 pounds of resistance
- Right and left crossovers: 10 pounds of weight plates, 5 pounds of resistance
What about the gliding press bar? By itself, the bar weighs an abnormal 25 pounds rather than the standard 45. It can support more than 300 pounds, but keep in mind the overall 400 total for the MD-9010g as a whole when stacking it with extra plates.
The curl station has a maximum weight limit of 100 pounds and the crossover station has a weight limit of 200 pounds.
The MD-9010g has a huge variety of exercises that you can perform with its frame and tools. The most notable of these include:
- Cable twist and regular crutches
- Seated or standing trunk rotations
- Triceps extensions and press downs
- Bicep curls
- Back presses and flies
- Kneeling, aerobic, and crossover rowing
- Chest presses, all kinds
- Incline and lateral just flies
- Pullovers with or without crunches
- Standing or regular leg curls
- Squats, twisting, jumping, regular
- Regular and reverse lunges
- Hip abductions and extensions
- Shoulder presses and extensions
- Upright rows
- Lateral arm pulls
- Front, lateral and lying front raises
- Many more…
The only major gaps we’ve seen in its functional exercise stations is a lack of a leg press and dip stations. However, dips can be replaced with triceps pushdowns, and you can use the gliding chest press bar to create leg presses of your own.
But we’d only recommend doing this if you have some experience working out as it’s a risky maneuver even with the safety measures in place.
Marcy does offer a two-year limited warranty on its various parts and frame. The warranty only applies to regular use and any damage that may arise from manufacturer problems.
Basically, if the frame or other parts encounter difficulties during regular use you may be eligible for replacement. But be prepared to back your claim up with evidence, as “regular use” is a bit of a nebulous term.
- The frame is incredibly sturdy
- There’s a huge variety of exercises possible with its stations
- The pulley movement is precise and smooth
- All major muscle groups are included
- Most equipment needed for various exercises are included
- Straightforward assemble
- Seats and handles are comparable
- Uses standard Olympic weight plates
- Doesn’t make a lot of noise
- Doesn’t slide easily
- Features several safety features, perfect for new users
- The weight plates aren’t included
- You have to purchase a separate bar for free squats or presses
- Needs lots of extra room for safe use
- Tools for assembly are not included
Overall, the Marcy MD-9010g is a phenomenal home gym machine that does a great job of bringing a bodybuilder’s favorite exercises home.
It’s one of the most intensive and inclusive home gym setups you can find on the market, so we’d recommend it for serious fitness enthusiasts or those who would otherwise spend lots of time at the gym. At the same time, it’s a great pick for beginners due to its safety features.
The MD 9010g home gym is an excellent option for the serious bodybuilder/exerciser!