A home workout should equally be as productive as the gym sessions. But, for you to gain all the benefits of a gym setup, you need several pieces of equipment. This does not mean you cannot reach your fitness goals without certain machines. But, for long-term and sustainable results, there is a need for the equipment. One of these is a leg press. How do you choose the right one for your home workout?
A leg-press comes in handy to develop the strength of the thigh muscles. With heavyweights, you can progress to managing a massive load for effective leg exercises. There are different styles of machines. Some are integrated into full-body while some come as single-function ones. The selection depends on your overall fitness needs and the suitability for your personal gym.
When it comes to gaining muscle in the legs the leg press is a relatively safe and secure method to use. They can rapidly help develop your quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteal muscles as well as the calves.
Through foot placement, different muscles can be activated and worked. By walking your feet up you will work the hamstrings and gluteal muscles more. If you walk the feet down your quadriceps will be working more.
Best Squat Machines
1. BodyCraft F660
- Extra removable pads allow for Donkey squat by pressing with lower lumbar. This eliminates the spinal compression associated with heavy weights on your shoulders. Another unique exercise provided is a Donkey Calf, for complete calf development.
- Fully adjustable foot plate / back pad.
- Adjustable shoulder pads allow for a wide range of user heights. This also allows us to make the machine smaller than most.
- 1000 pound weight capacity!
- Dimensions: 79" Long X 39" Wide X 50" Tall
The BodyCraft F660 has been designed to endure the toughest workouts. Built with heavy gauge steel and industrial grade linear bearings this machine is sturdy.
- Adjustable shoulder pads
- Adjustable upper and lower footplates
- Footplates fold all the way out for hacks
- Includes Calf block for standing calves
- Heavy-duty 1,000 lb.
- Industrial grade bearings
- Relatively compact housing
A great feature of the BodyCraft F660 is the footprint – 39 by 79 by 50 inches (W x H x D).
The industrial-grade materials used with this machine make it stand out above the rest, it can be used for commercial purposes and also for the home gym.
The adjustability of this machine makes it possible for all users and one can complete a variety of workouts, calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes through the adjustment of foot platform.
- Fully adjustable
- Industrial grade bearings
- 11 gauge steel frame
- 1,000lb load
The BodyCraft F660 comes with great customer feedback, we are yet to hear of any negatives associated with it. If your budget allows, you won’t be disappointed with this purchase.
2. Powerline by Body-Solid
Powerline by Body-Solid
1 used from $435.00
- Vertical leg press that effectively isolates your lower body muscles
- Dual-adjustable 1/2-inch locking pins; 3 starting and stopping positions
- Extra-thick back pad and contoured head and neck pad
- Durable alloy steel frame with tough powder-coated finish
- 400-pound capacity; weights, adapter sleeves, and collars not included
If you are looking for a vertical leg press machine for a more challenging workout, then this Powerline one will deliver that. It is built to provide the right support and still challenge you to work out your leg muscles.
- 3 diameter weight posts
- Steel and nylon construction
- Dual adjustable locking pins
- Max user weight: 400lbs
It is made of a heavy-duty steel frame and nylon bushings for smooth operation. It works well to isolate the lower leg muscles by providing a more challenging workout as you push up.
The vertical design provides support for your hips and back for a comfortable position as you work out. Also, the design makes it useful in tight spaces for workout and storage. The machine has the desirable cushioning to ensure you are comfortable all through. It has a thick back pad and a contoured head and neck pad to get you in proper position before you press. The comfort encourages a better workout and motivates you to work out even longer.
Some of the outstanding features of this leg press machine are the dual adjustable half inch locking pins, three stopping and starting points and a diamond plate steel press for non-slip control as you exercise. The 1” standard plate allows you to take on a challenging workout and advance as you get used to pressing. With the 400lbs maximum capacity, you can structure different strength workouts to suit your needs.
- Space-saving design
- Solid steel construction
- Encourages worthy strength training exercises
- Easy to assemble
- Squeaks a little with a heavy load
This Powerline is ideal for home workouts. It has the solid construction needed for progressive presses and is well-finished to last a long time. It is recommended for its compact size and the stability while working out.
3. TDS Hip Sled
TDS Hip Sled
- 4-WAY Hip Sled to use as LEG PRESS, HACK SQUAT, FORWARD THRUST, CALF RAISE
- 4 Wheels - each rated 750 lbs., 4 Side Thrust wheels for Stability , Specially designed heavy duty Side Frames, 2" Sq. Steel Tube Construction, Thick Stitched Shoulder Pads, Deluxe Stitched Contoured Padding, Solid Steel Deck Plate - EZ to Adjust, Bars can hold Up to 1000 lbs.,
- 1000 lb capacity. Sizes: 37"W X 80"D X 52"H - Weighs 300 lbs.
- Olympic Plates are not included. Redesigned with heavier base and longer Plate Holders. Deluxe padding Carriage mounted on 8-750lb rated rollers for long life. 2" x 4" Steel Tube Construction. Thick Stitched Shoulder Pads. Deluxe Stitched Contoured Padding. Solid Steel Deck Plate - EZ to Adjust.
The TDS is built with ease of use in mind. You can switch between different exercises in a snap and leg presses are supplemented by a wide footpad and a wide backrest.
- 8 wheels for flawless movement
- Wide deck plates
- 1000 lb capacity
- Thick stitched shoulder pads
- Steel tube construction
- Can be used for leg presses, hack squats, forward thrust, calf raise
This machine allows you to be four different exercises all without having to switch to a different spot in your gym. It’s made with steel tubing to keep it lightweight enough to adjust its position in your room if you have to store it between exercise sessions. The plate is also fairly large and gives you plenty of space to brace your feet during leg presses.
The padding on the back of the seat isn’t the greatest we’ve seen and it could use a little more support once you start getting into the higher weight classes. But overall, it’s still a solid leg exercise machine that can handle practically anything you throw at it.
- Can be easily adjusted
- Very good construction
- Wheel movement is super smooth
- Comfortable with lots of space for feet
- Very expensive
- Back padding could be softer
We like the TDS 4 overall. It’s an ideal choice for a home gym and especially if you need to move it from place to place (like if your gym is in a garage).
4. Powertec Compact
- Build Strength and Increase Stamina: Are you looking for a solid, durable sled to bring your lower body training to the next level? We've got you covered. With over 700 lb weight capacity, our signature leg press machine is the ultimate gym equipment for home.
- High Versatility to Target Muscles: This innovative home gym machine is exactly what you need in your leg and glutes workout equipment. It will isolate different groups of muscles and allow for more effective, localized exercises.
- Ultra Smooth and Precise Movement: Our modern leg press machines for home gym feature 8 nylon, sealed bearing wheels that provide a comfortable and quiet ride. The original design of Powertec's strength training equipment allows for a more precise and efficient motion.
- Comfort and Safety for your Back: The soft seat and adjustable headrest pad of our gym equipment provide you with a more comfortable ride. A flexible angle foot plate and hand grips lock the weight machines in place reducing pressure on the lower back.
- Ideal for Home Gyms and Garage: This leg machine is small and compact and perfectly designed to fit your garage gym or home training room. The design of the carriage and footprint allow for a full calf raise for most users.
An ideal leg press machine should provide a high load for unlimited exercises. The Powertec press is a great example and works efficiently to ensure you get the most out of it.
- 700lbs load
- Safety levers
- Compact, smooth and quiet
- Sealed bearing wheels
The Powertec integrates a carriage system that allows smooth operation for effective weight training. It has a sturdy construction to ensure it delivers to its promise and last a long time. Each part is carefully hinged and bolted to provide a solid structure. Additionally, the materials are of high quality to withstand regular use and retain functionality.
It has a high-tensile strength footplate. This is driven by a roller system that works with bearing-driven nylon reinforced wheels. These maximize on motions while stabilizing your resistance for effective presses. Also, the bearing motion together with the sturdy wheels enhances the stability and smoothness for a hassle-free experience during exercise.
It has a maximum load of 700lbs. This feature makes it suitable for everyone without a limitation of the weights to choose. It has safety levers on each side of the reclining bench. These add to the stability as you press and also enhance the safety with a higher load.
- Straightforward assembly
- Easy to operate
- A high load
- Smooth bearings
- The weight horns have a rough texture
The Powertec is a suitable choice for home workouts. It has a solid construction and has a good balance during all routines. It is recommended for its easy assembly and smooth bearings.
- Quick Flip-and-Lock Mechanism for Changing Exercises
- Flip and Lock Pads, Diamond Plate Foot Platform
- Quad Track Roller System Operates Smoothly and Distributes Weight Evenly
- Capacity of 1,000 lbs
- Exclusive Lifetime, In-Home Warranty Provides 100% Coverage for Everything Forever
The Body Solid is very popular and has many great features making it so. While it would be ok for gym or commercial use it is predominantly used at home.
- Roller system uses a quad track system
- Three safety lock positions available
- Maximum 1,000 pounds.
- Plate load system is easy to access
- Foot-plate platform has an extra heavy gauge
- Adjustable back pads
- Mainframe made from 11 gauge steel for durability
- Back and shoulder pads made from DuraFirm material
The DuraFirm material is comfortable to use – it is 10cm thick and double stitched.
The frame of the Body Solid is extra heavy-duty with 2″x 4″ and an 11gauge steel frame. The frame has been designed to minimize torsional flex.
The dimensions are 210L x 88W x 142H which is pretty large but this is a solid piece of equipment. Designed to be set up and more or less stay in one position.
- Comfortable to use
- Well built
- 3 safety locks
- Quad roller systems
- Difficult to assemble
As an entry-level piece of equipment the Body Solid is a popular choice. If you are looking for something that you find in the gyms then I would suggest a different machine. If you are looking for a basic leg press that you can use with ease then this is a good choice.
6. TDS Premier
- Mounted on heavy duty eight rollers. - Finished in SILVER GREY
- Extra wide steel deck foot plate.
- Deluxe 3" thick stitched padding.
- Heavy duty safety stoppers.
- Great to delvelop Quadriceps, strengthen Hamstrings, Glutes and Calf Raise
The Premier Vertical is heavy-duty and built to handle standard and Olympic sized plates. While a vertical leg press isn’t for everyone, read on to see if you find it suitable for your needs.
- Sturdy design
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Mounted on 8 heavy-duty rollers
- Relatively easy to put together~2hrs
- Small footprint
- Extra-wide steel deck footplate
- 3″ thick stitched padding
Near commercial quality, the backrest is well padded and comfortable to use. Smooth to use- just don’t over-tighten the bolts as it can become sticky and a bit jerky.
The safety catches and the weight carriage works well together to provide a smooth yet stable leg workout.
- 1000 lb load limit
- Heavy-duty, sturdy design
- Extra-wide foot-plate
- Assembly instructions are a bit vague
If you want a vertical leg press, the Premier Vertical is it. With a lifetime warranty, the buyer has peace of mind with any issues that may come up.
7. Powerline by Body-Solid
Powerline by Body-Solid Home Gym
- MULTI FUNCTIONAL: The Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press P2LPX complete gym from Body-Solid is a comprehensive home workout machine for total-body training with an added leg press
- SIX STATIONS: This fitness equipment provides six workout stations, including multi-press arms, lat pull-down ab crunch, functional pulleys, leg extension/leg curl and seated row
- WEIGHT STACK: The home gym comes with a standard 160-pound alloy weight stack
- ADJUSTABLE: Ideal for a total body workout in small compact spaces, and features a single adjustable seat with a two-way adjustable back pad
- DIMENSIONS: Measures 71 by 66 by 83 inches (L x W x H) and weighs 483. 5 pounds. Ships in 7 boxes
As much as building leg muscle strength is essential, it is crucial to focus on total body strength. This home gym from Powerline is ideal for unlimited exercise at the comfort of your house.
- 210lbs stack
- Multiple functions
- Steel construction
- Fixed pulleys
It’s multi-functional and will help you reach your fitness goals not only for your legs but for the entire body. The design allows different sizes of users and works well by providing different motions. It is engineered for total body workouts and gives you the freedom to structure workouts based on your needs.
It has low, mid and high pulleys which give you the opportunity to enjoy a variety of exercises. The leg press is integrated into this multi-gym and is useful with any weights that you choose. It has comfortable pads on the back pad and headrest for comfort as you work out. One of its greatest features is that it also incorporates arm presses which are essential for building muscle strength.
It has a 160lb stack included. For more resistance and strength training, you can add to 210lbs for an effective workout. It has an intricate design and might need quite some time to put together. But, with the instruction manual, you can follow the step-by-step guide to install each part. It is versatile, and you can use it to reach your goals.
- Solid construction
- Multiple exercises
- Suitable for beginners
- Highly flexible
- Tedious to assemble
This gym by Powerline is ideal for people looking for multiple-function equipment. Although it can be a challenge to put together, it is highly functional and practical for different routines.
- Body-Solid In-Home , Everything is Covered Forever
- 160 Pound Weight Stack, upgradable to 210 Pounds
- Press Arm, High Pulley, Mid Pulley, Low Pulley, Leg Developer
- Includes Let Bar, Low Row Bar, Abdominal Harness
- Optional Leg Press Available
If you need a machine that provides essential exercise, then this one from Fitness Factory is an ideal option. It has integrated mini-machines which work for total body exercises.
- 160lbs weight included
- Padded back pads
- Steel construction
It includes an ergonomic press arm, an upper, mid and a lower pulley. It also includes a fully functional leg press for your leg muscles strength-building exercises. With this machine, you can work out every muscle of your body or choose to focus on the individual parts. It is highly effective for multiple uses and suits people looking for a multiple function machine.
Made of steel, it has a quality finish to prolong the lifespan of the frame. It has a broad base, and that adds on to the stability of the machine for multiple exercises. The back pads, headrests, and footrests are cushioned to ensure you are comfortable in any of the exercise your choice. The handlebars work well with arm exercises to ensure you have the balance.
It has stable feet with anti-slip pads. These ensure the machine has a soft landing on the ground and prevent damage on the floor surface. This feature gives it an upper hand for use at home regardless of the kind of floors you have. It comes with 160lbs stack of iron plates for lifting exercises.
- Solid and sturdy construction
- Smooth operation
- Multiple functions
- Takes time to install
This multi-gym is an ideal choice for basic exercise. It works in multiple modes and has an efficient leg press. It is recommended for its robust and high-quality construction.
9. Titan Machine
- LEG PRESS: The Leg Press isolates the lower body, targeting quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and caves. By changing your foot position on the platform, you will engage different muscles groups.
- HACK SQUAT: The Hack Squat isolates the quads while reducing lower back strain. Gradually increase your intensity with the guidance of the machine’s smooth carriage.
- LOCK-OUT POSITIONS: Three lockout positions are under the athletes’ control throughout either Leg Press or Hack Squat movements. To perform either exercise fold in the handrails and when you are done with your set fold them out to lock the carriage bar in place.
- COMFORTABLE PADDING: The Leg Press and Hack Squat Machine features thick, comfortable padding that will reduce strain and stress on your muscles as you lift weights. The comfortable pads support the lower back and shoulder areas.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: High-quality steel construction makes this a solid and stable piece of fitness equipment. The diamond plated footplate offers plenty of grip and the powder-coated paint will leave a longer-lasting finish.
The Titan Machine is built to last and has been designed with versatility in mind. Its excellent positioning and sturdy frame mean you can perform monstrous like presses without having to worry about breaking anything.
- 40”x7’ footprint dimensions
- 875-pound limit
- 53” high
- Can fit any plates
- Adjustable for athletes of any size
- 2-in-1 machine for leg presses and hack-squats
- High quality steel construction
- Includes safety handrails
This machine can be used for both standard leg presses and for four different varieties of hack-squats. We are a big fan of machines that allow you to tackle different exercise routines without having to switch machines. The durable construction means that it’ll stand the test of time and continue functioning even if you use it week after week.
The asking retail is a bit high and the machine requires quite a lot of room to set up properly. This is an ideal machine for use in the garage or in your own personal gym.
- Very durable
- Lets you complete a whole leg workout with fewer machines
- Adjustability makes it easy to use no matter your size
- Quite pricy
- Hard to fit in a small area
Overall, we think the Titan Machine is a great pick if you’ve already got the room for this beast of a machine.
Leg Press Machine Buyers Guide
Types of Leg Press Machines
This type of leg press machine requires you to utilize a different movement with a direct drive. This type is the easiest to use because the mechanism is parallel to the ground. Depending on the design of the machine, the weight could be at the front, underneath or behind the back pad. These leg press machines are suitable for starters and light leg exercises.
This type of leg press has a seat that inclines to 45 degrees, so you are slightly off the ground but not completely on the vertical position. The leg press has a weighted system that is controlled by an incline mechanism. When using this leg press machine, the knees form to a 90-degree angle to the torso. Then, you push the weight at an angle as you remain in a sitting position.
This leg presses have a unique design to maintain the right support for your hips and back. The weight is lifted upwards, and this makes them suitable for small spaces. This is because they take little floor spaces since the weight goes up vertically. Among the three types, these are the most effective with consistent exercise since they provide maximum resistance.
When starting, you should consider using little weight and build up as you progress. The first step is positioning the body by resting the head and back comfortably. Then, place your feet on the footplate and ensure the heels lay flat. The legs should form an angle of about 90 degrees for a safe position.
The knees should be in line with the feet; not bowed inward or outward. This is the position you should maintain when pressing to ensure safety. Your bottom should lay flat on the seat the entire time to ease of the pressure from the leg muscles when you push.
As you press, ensure you hold the assist handles provides. These will give you the right support during movement and help to keep the spine in proper alignment. Also, the handles help to keep the head in place as you press and add the balance to ensure the knees remain in line with the feet.
Key Features To Look For
Design and material
The material of the leg press machine frame should be sturdy to withstand the heavyweight and repeated motion. Steel works excellent and has the required strength. The frame should be polished for added durability. The design depends on the intensity of the workout you aim for as well as the space available.
The size of the leg press machine you choose depends on individual sizes. Tall people require bigger leg presses than short ones. But, the ones with a height adjustability feature work well for anyone. Also, the size you choose depends on the design you want and the space available.
Generally speaking the more weight you want the machine to handle the sturdier and larger it needs to be.
It is also important to think about the space or area you are going to dedicate to the equipment. Once it is assembled of course you can disassemble it and move it but that can become a tiresome task.
Ease of Assembly
Leg press machines, like other equipment, take time to assemble. However, this depends on the design of the machine and the availability of instructions and tools. Therefore it is crucial to confirm the availability of instruction manuals and other helpful resources on how to install.
This factor is geared towards the seat, back, and head pads. Ensure they are all padded and are of a reasonable size to ensure you are comfortable. Also, the footplates should be adequate to ensure you are comfortable as you press.
Ensure the leg press machine has moulded or polyurethane pads on the areas which are in contact with your body. Why polyurethane pads? This type of material does not get affected by contact and sweat which can cause a bad smell, then dry out and lead to cracking on some equipment.
What Muscles can be Targeted
Let us examine the muscles that a leg press will target. When pressing or extending the quadriceps or the muscle in the front of your thigh engage.
This includes the rectus femoris, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis and vastus intermedius.
When you bend your knees and contract the hamstrings begin to work and include your biceps femoris, semitendinosus, and semimembranosus.
In addition to the hamstrings the gluteal muscles which include the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus also assist in the bending of your knees.
Like every workout machine be sure you are familiar and trained in how to use it properly. Leg presses have a safety catch which means you can easily stop the machine from moving back if your legs fail.
For this reason, they can be much safer than say free squats if you don’t have the strength just yet.
The safety feature also allows you to push your legs to the limit with maximum weight until failure without having to worry yourself or potentially hurt yourself.
Another safety disclaimer. This is applicable to all our reviews, be sure to warm up adequately before lifting anything!
Choosing a functional home leg press machine takes much into consideration. The top factors to consider are the structure, size, and design. For long-term benefits, the leg press machine should have solid construction and a stable base. You could opt for home gym equipment with integrated leg press for additional exercise. The most important thing is to ensure they meet the minimum quality standards.
Leg press machines are a must have in your home gym and there are many to choose from! The products included in this post are all good so finding the right one for your needs is made easier.