Cycling is one of the best workouts around. It’s a great way to tone your legs, burn calories, lose fat, and get fit. Unfortunately, it’s also highly weather-dependent, and cycling outdoors can be risky too. After all, you’ve got to share the road with other vehicles, and rain, snow, ice, and high winds can make riding outside both treacherous and uncomfortable.
With no weather, traffic, or poorly maintained roads to contend with, when you cycle indoors, you are free to focus on your workout. You can even listen to music or watch TV as you exercise.
There are lots of different types of bikes you can use for indoor exercise, but spinning bikes like the Keiser M3i are amongst the best.
Keiser M3i Review
Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle Bundle
- Bundle Includes: Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle, Floor Mat, Media Tray, Stretch Pads, Polar Heart Rate Monitor, M Series Assembly and Maintenance Kit and Gel Seat Cover!
- Industry’s First V-Shape Frame: Enables M3i to mimic different road-bike frames by allowing seat and handlebars to be raised in conjunction to accommodate riders of all sizes, from 4’10”–7’ tall
- Bluetooth-enabled Interactive Cycling: Riders can connect to the Keiser M Series app and train with real-time graphs for power and heart rate, cadence range dials, FTP zones and more for a limitless array of workouts
- Durability and Beauty: Simple, elegant design makes the M3i extremely durable, virtually maintenance-free, and a stunning showpiece for your home or gym
- Made in the USA: The M3i is the ONLY indoor bike built in the U.S., ensuring the highest quality control standards
Spinning bikes come in a variety of designs and prices, and some are definitely better than others! The Keiser M3i is loaded with useful features to make your workout as enjoyable, productive, and comfortable as possible. Those features include:
- Large, heavy flywheel for a smooth pedaling action
- Rear-mounted flywheel for lower maintenance
- Electromagnetic braking system for easy adjustment of the resistance level
- Adjustable for riders between 4’ 10” to 7’ tall
- Belt-driven for near-silent operation
- Dual-function pedals with both clips/straps and SPD clipless shoes
- Easy-access water bottle holder
- Easy to reach resistance adjuster
- Multi-position handlebars
- Ergonomic saddle
- Magnetic resistance
- Media stand for phone/tablet
- Built-in workout computer
- Bluetooth connectivity to link bike to Keiser M Series app and other workout apps
- Supplied with floor mat, heart rate monitor, assembly, and maintenance kit, gel seat cover, sweat towel, and stretch pads
Spinning bikes are compact and lightweight, making them easy to move and store when not in use. They don’t take up much room in use either, making them ideal for smaller workout spaces. The dimensions of the Keiser M3i are:
- Shipping weight – 113 pounds
- Bike weight – 85 pounds
- Size – 45 x 26 x 49 inches
To avoid damaging your floor, the bike should be used on the supplied mat. This will protect your floor both from the bike and from falling sweat too. The bike itself is fitted with transport wheels so it can be tipped and rolled for easy transport and storage.
Spin bike design
The Keiser M3i spinning bike features a large flywheel and unique V-shaped frame design. This cuts down on unwanted weight and makes for a much more comfortable, adjustable bike set up.
The rear-mounted flywheel and drive mechanism cover protect the working parts of the bike from falling sweat. This will significantly cut down on the need for maintenance.
The crank arms, which attach the pedals to the bike, are angled outwards, which means wider, non-cycling shoes can be worn without hitting the frame of the bike. This also puts less strain on your knees then straight crank arms.
The seat height, forward and aft position, and angle are fully adjustable to allow for a customizable set-up. The handlebars are also similarly adjustable. This will allow all users, irrespective of height or body shape, to achieve a comfortable riding position.
The Keiser M3i spinning bike comes supplied with a built-in workout computer. This is very useful and will add an extra dimension to all your workouts. The computer runs on two AA batteries and has a built-in backlight, which comes on automatically when required. The functions of the computer include:
- Revolutions per minute (RPM)
- Power, displayed in watts
- Elapsed time
- Current gear/resistance level (from 1-24)
- Odometer/trip distance
- Workout averages for RPM, heart rate(if wearing Polar HR chest strap), and power
- Low battery indicator
Ease of Use
Spinning bikes like the Keiser M3i offer several advantages over other types of exercise bikes. They are usually more adjustable and comfortable, provide an outdoor cycling experience indoors, deliver a great workout, and are very easy to use. That’s why they are the number one choice for studio cycling classes.
Changing resistance (gear) is as simple as moving a lever up or down, and spinning bikes are easy to adjust so that you can achieve the perfect riding position for comfort and performance. They have a racing bike profile too, which means they are ideal for short, hard workouts, and longer, more leisurely rides.
The Keiser M3i is designed to be virtually maintenance-free. Most of the critical parts are either sealed or located so that they are kept free from sweat and dust. Other than a few simple adjustments to keep it running smoothly, this bike should require minimal servicing.
On the downside, the M3i is supplied disassembled and requires putting together before use. This is fully detailed in the user manual.
As mentioned, the Keiser M3i requires assembly before use. All the tools for this task are supplied, as are the instructions for assembly. Before starting the assembly process, you should take an inventory of all the parts supplied to make sure you have everything you need. You’ll also need plenty of clear space in which to work. The entire process should take no more than an hour and will be quicker and easier if you have an assistant to help you.
Follow the step-by-step instructions laid out in the user manual, paying particular attention to using the correct-sized nut/bolt/washer for the part you are securing. The bike is built from the ground up, and you should soon start to see it take a more familiar form.
If you’re better at following a video as opposed to instructions, Keiser have put together the following assembly guide:
As you’d expect from a company like Keiser, this bike is made from high-quality materials and components. It should be hardwearing, providing many miles and years of faithful service.
However, it’s good to know that the Keiser M3i is made in the USA and is also backed by a comprehensive three-year warranty for the frame and other unwearable parts, and six months for all wearable components, such as the handlebars, saddle, pedal straps, and pedal cages.
Keiser makes great spinning bikes, and the M3i is amongst their best. Made from the highest quality materials and components, this bike is tough enough to withstand even the most intense workouts, which is why it is popular with group exercise studios and gyms. Its low maintenance design means you won’t have to waste time fixing or servicing this bike. In fact, if you are a home user, you may never need to service it at all.
The Keiser M3i comes complete with everything you need to set up your at-home spinning workout studio. The floor mat will protect the space beneath the bike, and you can use the sweat towel to mop up as you work out. The built-in computer allows you to keep track of all your workout metrics, while you’ll undoubtedly find the media shelf useful for your phone or tablet.
Because this bike features electromagnetic braking instead of a traditional friction brake, the Keiser M3i is all-but silent in use and allows for much more precise resistance control. With over 20 levels of resistance available, the M3i is suitable for all users – from beginners to the very advanced.
The Bluetooth connectivity also means you can link the M3i’s computer to several different bike training apps, including:
If there is a downside to the Keiser M3i spinning bike, it is that you’ll need to assemble it yourself. This is not a difficult thing to do, but it does mean you won’t be able to use the bike straight out the box. However, after an hour, you’ll be all set.
A premium spin bike that won't dissapoint. The Keiser M3i is the best in the business and it's easy to see why!