If you are looking for a high-quality spinning bike designed especially for home use, the Diamondback Fitness 510ic could be a great choice.
Diamondback is an American company with a long history of manufacturing road and mountain bikes and was formed back in 1977.
In 2007, they branched out into fitness, and the Diamondback Fitness 510ic is their entry-level spinning bike. But is it right for you? Let’s investigate!
DiamondBack Fitness 510ic Bike Review
Diamondback Fitness 510Ic Indoor Cycle
$749.99 in stock
- Electronic Display provides computer controlled resistance in consistent increments
- Fore/aft seat and handlebar adjustments and a 300 pound weight capacity
- Quiet Heavy Duty 31 Pound Flywheel and steel-crafted components
- 16 levels of resistance insuring a challenge, and 14 workout programs consisting of 8 preset programs and 4 heart rate controlled programs
- Ultra-sensitive contact heart rate sensors
If you are in the market for a spinning bike, you may find yourself baffled by the vast number of models and manufacturers to choose from. Spin bikes can also vary enormously in price. However, what really separates a poor spinning bike from an average spinning bike and a great one is the features on offer.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic is loaded with features, many of which are typically only found on higher-priced commercial bikes. Those key features include:
- On-board cycling computer – conveniently positioned on the handlebars, the computer provides real-time performance feedback as you exercise.
- Computer-controlled magnetic resistance – cheaper spinning bikes use felt friction brakes for resistance. These can be hard to adjust, often provide uneven peddling, and need frequent servicing. Magnetic resistance is much smoother, can be precisely adjusted, and with no friction is almost silent in use.
- 16 levels of resistance – with so many resistance levels available, all at the push of a button, the Diamondback Fitness 510ic is suitable for all users, from unfit beginners to advanced exercisers.
- 32 lb. flywheel – a large, heavy flywheel makes for a much more realistic cycling experience. You’ll really feel like you are rolling along a road when using this spinning bike.
- Heart rate sensors – make sure your heart rate is at the correct level during your workout by grabbing and holding the handlebar-located heart rate sensors.
- Workout programs – the Diamondback Fitness 510ic offers 12 pre-set programs to makes your workouts as enjoyable and productive as possible. Four heart rate-controlled programs match the intensity of your workout to your current fitness level.
- Multi-position handlebars – with several different hand positions available, every user should be able to find a comfortable riding position, even for long workouts.
Dimensions and Specifications
Spinning bikes don’t take a lot of space. This makes them ideal for home use. Because they are so compact, you can use a spinning bike in even the smallest space, such as a spare bedroom or a clear corner in your garage. In contrast, treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, and cross trainers take up much more space.
The dimensions of the Diamondback Fitness 510ic when assembled are:
- 42 x 23 x 46 inches
- Weight – 104 pounds
- User capacity – 300 pounds
- User height – 5’3” to 6’5”
Because of the on-board computer, the Diamondback Fitness 510ic must be plugged into an electrical outlet using the supplied adapter. This should be considered when deciding where to position your spinning bike.
Spin bike design
A lot of thought has gone into the design of the Diamondback Fitness 510ic spinning bike. With over 40 years of bicycle manufacturing experience to call on, Diamondback has made a spinning bike that is clearly built to last.
It’s built on a heavy-duty steel frame, which will not bend or flex during use. This ensures that all of your pedaling energy is directed into the 32-pound flywheel for a smoother, more effective workout. The frame is powder-coated instead of merely painted, which means it’ll look good for many years to come and is protected from corrosion.
The seat and handlebars are adjustable for height as well as forward and aft positioning. This allows users to create the perfect riding position for comfortable training. All adjustments can be made quickly, easily, and without needing tools. This means the bike is easy to adjust for multiple users. The handlebars and seat are padded and ergonomically designed for comfort.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic has a belt drive system, which means it is not only very quiet in use, it won’t require any maintenance either. The crank, drive belt, and flywheel are all enclosed in a plastic sweat-proof casing to protect them from corrosion, wear, and tear.
The pedals are fitted with toe cages and straps for a smoother peddling action. They can be removed and replaced with SPD pedals (not supplied) if you prefer to wear clipless cycling shoes.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic spinning bike’s fitness console/computer might not be the most advanced available. Still, it’s not exactly a basic unit, either. It has all the features that most exercisers need and is also the hub that controls your workouts. The functions and features of the computer include:
- Elapsed time
- Revolutions per minute (RPM)
- Calories burned
- Power – displayed in watts
- Heart rate
- Resistance level/gear
The console also offers all the different workout programs, including eight pre-programmed hill/interval programs, four heart rate-controlled programs, one manual program, and one custom program. You can also use the computer to set performance goals such as distance, calories, or time.
Ease of Use
Like all spinning bikes, the Diamondback Fitness 510ic is very easy to use. Once the saddle and handlebars are adjusted, it’s merely a matter of getting on the bike and starting pedaling.
All of the computer functions are very easy to access, and for a simple workout, you can always use the quick start manual function.
Changing the resistance is as easy as pressing a button. With 16 pre-programmed resistance levels, you’ll have no problem selecting the right gear and customizing your workout to suit your current fitness levels and needs.
The magnetic braking system means that the Diamondback Fitness 510ic is all but silent in use. There is also a back-up mechanical friction brake if you should need to stop in a hurry.
As far as maintenance goes, all you need to do is wipe your bike down at the end of your workout to prevent corrosion. Other than that, the Diamondback Fitness 510ic should be virtually maintenance-free.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic is close to perfect but, being picky, it would benefit from a telemetric link so that users can use a chest strap for hands-free heart rate monitoring. Also, the computer has no Bluetooth connectivity, so workout stats cannot be exported or downloaded. The bike itself is also quite heavy, which makes it stable but also means it’s not easy to move. It’s fitted with wheels so it can be tilted and rolled, but you may need help carrying it upstairs.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic requires some assembly on delivery, but not as much as many other bikes. The braking and drive system are already assembled and housed within their protective plastic case. The only parts that require any real assembly are the handlebars, saddle, pedals, and computer console. Tools are provided in the box, as are assembly instructions. Most users report that putting the Diamondback Fitness 510ic together takes no more than 30-45 minutes.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic is a high-quality product and is backed with a comprehensive warranty. The frame and braking system are covered by a lifetime warranty, parts and electronics have a three-year warranty, and wearable items are covered for 90 days. It’s good to know that, in the unlikely event of a breakdown, you are protected.
The Diamondback Fitness 510ic is a heavy-duty spinning bike that should last for years. It’s built by a company known for making top-quality bikes, and their 40 plus years of manufacturing experience is evident in every aspect of this machine. It has all the features you’ll need for effective, comfortable workouts, whether you are a beginner or an established exerciser. Its heavyweight design means it feels very stable and solid, even during intense workouts or when standing up and out of the saddle.
The electromagnetic braking system is very easy to use, and the on-board performance monitor is easy to read and use. With over a dozen pre-programmed workouts to try, you should have no problem staying motivated during your workouts.
This workout bike is not the cheapest available, but you do get a lot for your money. Backed by a very comprehensive warranty, you can purchase with confidence. The Diamondback Fitness 510ic is an excellent spinning bike, and while it might be lacking a few useful features, such as heart rate telemetry, it still has everything you need for a great at-home workout.
The Diamondback Fitness 510 Indoor Cycle boasts a range of features that make this a great purchase!