There are many yoga mats on the market that are excellent additions to your practice. Some are made with travelers in mind, with a lightweight design and carrying straps. Others are made to be a staple at home or gym, with a more substantial design. There are many different materials available for yoga mats, with some being made out of natural fibers and others being man-made. We prioritized eco-friendly mats with durability. Many of the mats on our list are also part of companies donating to charitable causes.
When polled, yogis put Manduka and Jade Yoga on the top of their favorite mat brands. These both would have some of the best yoga mats. Manduka came in first, with Jade yoga in a respectable second. Manduka seems to be one of the favorite mats stocked in the yoga studios as well. Here is more about these two brands.
Best Yoga Mats Available
Manduka eKO Yoga and Pilates Mat
$74.00 in stock
3 used from $ 65.80
- The comfortably cushioned 71" x 26" eKO yoga mat has a natural rubber grip that catches you if you start to slip.
- With its eco-friendly construction, this biodegradable, non-Amazon harvested natural tree rubber mat supports both your practice and our planet.
- Made without non-toxic foaming agents and non-AZO dyes.
- All post-industrial scrap is thoughtfully collected and utilized in the production of other materials creating a zero waste manufacturing process.
Yogis and yoga studios almost universally put the Manduka eKO mat on the top of their lists. It is in a modest price range and has more than eight colors to choose from in earthy tones like sage, reef, and thunder. Also, it’s made from all natural rubber made from sustainably harvested resources, not in the Amazon.
- Many colors to choose from
- Non slip material
The dimensions of the mat are 71” x 26,” and it weighs about 7 pounds.. It’s a medium thickness mat with a slip-resistant design that will be able to stay in place.
You’ll get brownie points for bringing “the Manduka” to your first yoga class.
This mat is made to be a travel mat, with yogis on-the-go in mind. The “Eko” part is the fact it is made from nontoxic materials, and rubber from natural rubber trees. The mat is biodegradable,
- Respected yoga brand with more than 20 years in the business
- 99% latex free
- All natural rubber can wear
- Some people like thicker mats for floor work
The Manduka is the yoga mat to bring to your daily yoga class because it is durable and flexible. Keep it clean with all natural cleaning products.
Jade Harmony Yoga Mat
- Nature's Best Yoga Mat
- Great Grip - open cell natural rubber provides optimum grip
- Comfortable - natural rubber has more resilience and cushion
- Made in the US with natural rubber, a renewable resource and contains no synthetic plastics.
- Through its partnership with Trees for the Future, JadeYoga plants a Tree with every mat sold.
Jade Yoga mats are also well recognized as a quality yoga mat. These mats are also made out of recycled rubber. One altruistic bonus is for every mat planted, the company plants a tree through Trees for the Future.
- All natural
- Well known brand
- Give back to charity
This mat is lightweight, and it is excellent for daily yoga practice.
The dimensions of the Jade Harmony mat are 3/16″ thick x 24″ wide and 4.3-4.5lbs.
It is naturally not slippery and provides a reliable, open-cell surface for your yoga routine. Jade Harmony mats are made in the US.
- More than 10 colors, available in hues like “Sedona” or “raspberry.”
- Made in the US
- Natural rubber might not be the best material for hot yoga
- Heavier than similarly sized mats
The Jade Harmony mat is ideal for yogis who want inner and outer “harmony” by using a sustainable, all-natural mat.
Those are the top two mats. The next three mats are more expensive, less well known, but might still wow you and your classmates. Some of the top of the line yoga mats can cost well over $100, and they are as beautiful as a work of art to look at during practice. Here are two of the pricier mats that are as pretty as they are durable.
Liforme Yoga Mat
- ✅ REVOLUTIONARY GRIP - Benefit from the ground-breaking Liforme "GripForMe" material that gives unparalleled warrior-like grip whilst practising. We believe this premium non-slip mat to be the grippiest Yoga mat currently available (it even stays grippy when 'sweaty-wet'), making it essential equipment for any Yogi.
- ✅ ALIGNMENT - Practice Yoga with the aid of the unique and original "AlignForMe" system that has been intelligently designed to guide and align Yogis of all shapes and sizes. The Yoga Mat is made to our exacting standards and is a great way to improve technique; working as a navigational tool for Yoga asana practice, providing you with the best foundation for your workout.
- ✅ TRULY PLANET FRIENDLY - Made using the most 'body kind' and eco-friendly materials and processes. Our mats are PVC free, biodegradable in 1-5 years in normal landfill conditions and made using high quality non-toxic materials that keep the mat clean and hygienic.
- ✅ BALANCE - The mat is longer, wider and thicker, giving Yogis the space they crave, with perfect balance between firm stability and comfortable cushioning whilst staying lightweight - 72.8" long x 26.8" wide and 0.16" thick.
- ✅ BAG INCLUDED - Carry and protect your mat with the Liforme Yoga mat bag.
Another mat that yogis say is among the best– if not THE best– is the Liforme mat. This eye-catching mat has a built-in “alignment” function that helps you visualize balancing both sides of your body during practice. The lines and solid form make it a mat that you will probably get a few compliments and questions on. It stands out in a subtle way.
- Big design
- Guidelines for postural alignment
- Great for hot yoga
- Extra cushioning & support
This is probably the best yoga mat for hot yoga. The guidelines and Gripforme design make staying in place in a comfortable asana achievable.
It is available in 4 vibrant colors like black, light blue, and pink. The dimensions are longer, wider and thicker than most yoga mats.
The Liforme is 72.8″ long x 26.8″ wide and 4mm (0.16″) thick. It weighs 8.4 pounds and includes its own carrying bag. These large dimensions give you plenty of space to stretch out during class.
- Eco-friendly design
- Made for yogis by yogis
- More expensive
- Heavy mat, not ideal for travel
There is extra cushioning and support with the thick material, which makes the Liforme mat good for floor exercises.
Cork Yoga Mat by Scoria
- Non-toxic & 100% plant-based, made with natural cork and backed with natural tree rubber
- Smooth surface (The cork is soft)
- Guaranteed SWEAT grip (no need to use yoga towels)
- Naturally antimicrobial resisting bad smells, and making it easy to clean (No need to spray the mat with sanitizer after every class)
The Scoria mat is made out of cork, and it features a beautiful design. When using this yoga mat, you will feel at one in the elements, with an awesome water and mountain design.
- Unique design
- Made out of natural substances
Cork is a sustainable alternative to rubber mats, and the earthy texture will be an attractive feature in your yoga practice. The company was founded by an art school graduate and yogi, Yara Kamal.
Scoria is a Canadian brand. The mats are biodegradable, and the natural cork surface is naturally antimicrobial. It is a cork and rubber blend. Bonded with nontoxic, water-safe adhesives. The inks used are nontoxic and water based.
This mat is also a good pick for people who are interested in helping charities or the less fortunate. For every mat that is purchased, 10 plant-based meals are donated through their partner organization, Feeding Children Everywhere.
- Every purchase contributes to charity
- Sustainable manufacturing saves resource
- Not machine washable
- Brown color
The Scoria mat is a blend of cork and natural rubber fibers. This is ideal for a children’s yoga class or for nurturing your inner child.
These next two mats are more budget friendly. They would be good for using outside or for keeping a spare mat around to share.
Shantihi Yoga Mat
- 🙏 HYGIENIC AND WATERPROOF : Practice on your own clean and fresh yoga mat instead of sharing studio mats. This mat's waterproof surface repels sweat, germs and dirt, keeping bacteria and that dreaded stinky stale sweat smell at bay. Washes easily, just spray and wipe clean.
- 🙏 ECO FRIENDLY, PVC FREE AND ODORLESS : A little bit pricier but much better for you and the environment. TPE is the latest technological improvement to the traditional yoga mat. This material is non-toxic, free from PVC, phthalates, silicone and other harmful chemicals. Unlike rubber mats, TPE eco mats have no strong rubber smell and is safe for those allergic to latex.
- 🙏 SLIP RESISTANT, DURABLE AND TEAR RESISTANT : Tired of your cheaper PVC and NBR foam yoga mats disintegrating? This dense anti-tear TPE mat is designed to withstand any vigorous workouts, home exercises, Pilates, Bikram or Ashtanga yoga. Being reversible, you can use different high-traction slip resistant textures on both sides, lengthening your mat's lifespan. Saves you money in the long run.
- 🙏 LUXURIOUS COMFORT, LIGHTWEIGHT AND TRAVEL FRIENDLY : Love your thick Manduka, Jade or Lululemon yoga mat but finding it heavy to carry? At 5mm thick, our portable and lightweight yoga mat provides the perfect balance of cushioning and portability without compromising your balance. Great for yin yoga, travels or when you are on the go.
- 🙏 100% YOGI SATISFACTION GUARANTEE : Designed in New Zealand with love. If you are for any reason unhappy with your Shantihi TPE Eco Yoga Mat, we will provide a 100% money back guarantee. Please enjoy our FREE bonus "10 Best Restorative Yoga Poses to Relieve Stress" eBook with your purchase.
The Shantihi yoga mat comes with a free ebook and a carrying bag. It is available at a low price point that is ideal for beginning yogis, or for buying a mat that might get more wear and tear, such as one you use in an outdoor yoga practice. “Shantihi” means “peace” in Sanskrit.
- Waterproof surface
- Comes with bonuses
The mat has a waterproof surface. It is made from a material that is PVC free, nontoxic, and without silicone or phthalates.
It is made to be made out of a substance that is non-tear, durable and non-slip. It is also a lightweight mat that is ideal for travel. It is designed in New Zealand and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
The ebook included has ten restorative yoga poses that you will probably be excited to try out on your brand new mat.
This mat is available in three colors: blue, purple and black.
- Durable, non tear materials
- Great for travel
- Not all natural
- Limited color options
The Shantihi mat is ideal for people who want to travel with their mat, and to strengthen their practice with more knowledge.
Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat
$35.60 in stock
- Extra Thick (1/4", 6.2mm thickness)
- Extra Long - Measures 84 " x 24 " x 1/4"
- Textured, non-slip surface
- Extremely durable and Completely latex free
- Individually wrapped
The Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat gives you plenty of room to stretch out. It is extra thick, at 6.8 mm and extra long.
- Latex free design
- Suited to taller people
- Machine washable
The mat measures 84 ” x 24 ” x ¼”. It has a textured, nonslip surface so you can have a solid grip during your yoga practice.
The mat is latex-free. You can wash it in the washing machine or use a gentle cleaner on it. This mat is a no-frills yoga mat with bigger dimensions.
The low price means you can use it at the beach or every day without worrying about tearing it or getting it dirty.
- Bigger size
- Synthetic materials
- limited color choices
The Yoga Direct mat is perfect for someone who wants a simple gym mat.
Yoloha Cork Yoga Mat Chakras Nomad Cork Travel Yoga Mat
- ॐ VERSATILE AND LIGHT: The Nomad Cork Yoga Mat is our extra light and ultra versatile yoga mat. With superior cushioning you get the ideal balance of comfort and support. At 4.5 mm thick, the luxuriously dense foam base is free of PVC's and a premium layer of sustainable cork provides a non-slip and antimicrobial surface that's easy to care for and maintain.
- ॐ THE PERFECT TRAVEL MAT: No matter where your practice takes you, the Nomad Cork Yoga Mat is easy to take with you. Weighing just 2.5 lbs, the Underwater Bliss Nomad Cork Yoga Mat is lightweight and easily portable. From your local studio or to the beach, a mindful hike or on your next big adventure the Nomad is ready to go with you.
- ॐ WORKS FOR MOST PRACTICES: The Nomad offers great comfort and support for most practices. The Nomad features high-quality, eco-friendly cork which provides a superior non-slip surface. Whether it's Restorative or Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Yin or Iyengar, the Nomad Cork Yoga Mat is truly perfect for most practices. For practices with very heavy perspiration where sweat "pools" on your mat we recommend our Native or Original Yoga Mats.
- ॐ NON-TOXIC: The Nomad Cork Yoga Mat features natural, antimicrobial properties that make this highly sustainable material very easy to clean. Non-toxic and eco-friendly foam backing provide enough cushion for comfort without inhibiting balance. Our mats are body-kind with no latex, PVC's or harsh chemicals which make them easy to keep fresh and its closed cell will not trap odors.
- ॐ SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are a small family business that firmly believes and stands by all of our handmade yoga products. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you can return for a full refund or exchange within 30 days. No questions asked.
The Yoloho Yoga mat is a cork and rubber composite mat. It has 9 different designs available, including vibrant mandalas or a plain print.
- Sustainable, eco-friendly cork designed
- Artistic prints
- Great for travel
The company participates in local charities by giving back thousands of mats through the Empowered Minds program. Another charity they benefit is the Holistic Minds program.
A small family business makes it, and it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The cork surface is naturally antimicrobial. The Yoloho Yoga Mat is nontoxic and made without PVCs, latex or harsh chemicals.
There are also kid-sized mats available with whimsical prints with nature themes.
It’s a great travel mat and only weighs 2.5 lbs. The dimensions are 72″ x 24″, 4.5 mm thick. The unique harvesting process of the cork make it sustainable, and the harvesting of it provides more than 100,000 fair wage jobs.
- One of a kind mat.
- Antimicrobial, natural mat.
- Not machine washable
The Yoloha Mat is perfect for someone who wants to show off their creative side.
yogitoes Yoga Mat Towel
- Sustainable, soft, hygienic, and absorbent
- Lightweight and great for travel
- Patented skidless technology using 100% silicone nubs to grip the towel in place on your mat, floor, or carpet
- Made using recycled bottles requiring 66% less energy to produce
- All dyes are free of AZO, lead, and heavy-metals
The Yogitoes mat is super soft and available in different beautiful prints. It is made out of recycled water bottles, so it uses 66% less energy to produce than traditional water bottles. The bottom of the towel has silicon nubs on it, and it has patented skid less technology.
- Lightweight towel mat
- Many Patterns to choose from
- Designed to go on top of a mat
The dyes used on the mat are free from azo, lead, and heavy metals. The dimensions are 1.25 lbs.; 68” x 24′. The Yogi Toes mat is available in 19 different prints with different nature and spiritual themes.
The Yogi Toes Mat can be used on its own, or as a cover for a traditional mat.
- Easy to travel with
- Beautiful design
- Very thin
- Might need to use it on top of another mat.
The yogi toes mat is excellent for hot yoga as it absorbs all of the sweat during practice.
Sol Living Premium Extra Thick Non-Slip Yoga Mat
$17.97 in stock
1 used from $ 13.35
- DURABLE AND NONSLIP YOGA MATS- Each yoga pad measures 24" W x 72" L x 5 mm thick. Featuring an extra thick, smooth surface this travel fitness mat provides an excellent foundation for your pilates and yoga workout. It makes it a great exercise non slip mat for all your yoga needs whether it is hot yoga, vinyasa or everyday yoga, this yoga pad is perfect. This yoga workout mat offers better traction and slip-free movement so your hand and body stay in place while doing more complex poses.
- WIDE AND THICK YOGA MAT FOR ALL YOUR YOGA Amazon Prime available. Who needs heavy fitness equipment for a healthy lifestyle when you can have a home workout mat? Yoga mats thick, beautiful and colorful making it the best yoga mat for you which are both stylish and practical. These wide and thick exercise yoga mats are a great workout mat that comes in four bright patterns, ranging from solid-colored yoga mats to printed yoga mats, for personalized style.
- ECO-FRIENDLY TRAVEL FITNESS MAT - Made of 6P Free and latex free materials, this thick extra long yoga mat is for ideal health & fitness. These thick yoga mats are both practical and sustainable and a nice exercise no slip mat. Ideal for home yoga studio or as home workout mat. Add other yoga accessories like a yoga strap, yoga cushion, yoga socks, yoga bag or a yoga block for a great yoga equipment kit or your pilates and yoga workout kit for a better workout.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN AND CLEAN YOGA PAD- Featuring a thick extra long yoga mat with a slick surface, this yoga mat is easy to clean and maintain. Gently spot clean when needed. Then, store away in a yoga mat bag when not being used. Add a mat strap to make it a travel fitness mat which is a necessity for home yoga or studio yoga and a great basic to have for any yogi
- WORRY FREE AND MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Try these exercise mats risk-free. This mat and all our products are made from best quality materials, and your satisfaction is important to us. We stand by the quality of our product; if for any reason you have an issue with your purchase, we will gladly help to resolve it.
The Sol Living mat is a great all-around mat that is available in 4 different colors. It features a beautiful chakra design on the bottom of the mat that makes it stand out from the other mats in the studio.
- Environmentally friendly
- 4 vibrant colors
The dimensions are 24” W x 72” L x 5 mm thick. There are four colors available including green, grey, purple and teal so you can choose one to represent your personal style.
These mats are described at 6P free, which means it has no phthalates. It is also BPA free.
It is a yoga mat that is easy to clean and maintain. It also comes with a money back guarantee. It is a lightweight and portable mat that is made to be versatile and to cover a wide range of needs.
- Not all natural
- traditional mat, no extras
This is a great mat to take your yoga practice to the next level.
The Sol Living mat is made in Taiwan. It is made to be soft and cushiony. The mats are durable and built to last a long time.
Yogasana Yoga Mat
- ✔️ EDUCATION IS EMPOWERING - When you purchase of our cotton yoga mats, you help give back to a child's education. We provide pencils, pens, paper, and other school supplies to help the education of the children of our workers in India.
- ✔️ NON SLIP MAT - Tired of slipping on your mat? When plastic/rubber mats slip - our cotton mats grip! Our premium cotton eco mats provide superior grip. The more you sweat - the more your grip!
- ✔️ LARGE SIZE MAT - We weave our mats longer and wider 25" x 72". They perform well for both men and women. This mat works well for most styles of yoga, even Kundalini yoga.
- ✔️ INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE - Our yoga mats can be used outdoors for extended periods without affecting the guarantee. Our 4 lbs mats are light weight and easy to take to the studio or for travel.
- ✔️ SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Yogasana is the best VALUE in a yoga mat. They don't need to be replaced every year or two like rubber mats. That is why we offer a 15 YEAR warranty.
Yogasana mats are 100% cotton and are a great alternative to other yoga mats. They are specifically made for hot yoga, with a moisture-wicking surface designed to help you stay dry during your practice.
- Made out of cotton
- nonslip mat
- Available in 6 different colors
Another benefit of these unique yoga mats is that the proceeds go back to benefit charity. Some of the money spent on the mat is used to help the workers in India buy school supplies for children. While you’re learning yoga, someone else’s kid can have pens, pencils, paper, and notebooks.
The mats dimensions are 25” x 72”. It’s well suited to be used indoors for a variety of yoga styles and practices. It is also durable enough to be used outdoors. The Yogasana Yoga Mat is available in 6 different colors.
Another benefit of these mats is that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They also have a 15-year guarantee. These nonslip mats are made to be long lasting and high quality
- 15-year satisfaction guarantee
- proceeds give back to schoolchildren in India
- Higher price point
- Not antimicrobial so you would need to wash it regularly
The Yogasana mat is made for someone ready to invest long-term in their yoga practice.
Key Information for Choosing a Yoga Mat
When buying a yoga mat, there are a few key components to keep in mind. Not all yoga mats are the same, so knowing which factors to compare and contrast can help you choose the right one for you. You might already know what mat you want, or are thinking about buying a new one. Take into consideration your budget and what you’ll be using it for. That will help you to make the right decision and choose wisely when buying a brand new mat.
One factor to think about is the length. Is the mat long enough for you to comfortably stretch out on? Will it be long enough without your hands or feet sliding off? Try to find a mat that isn’t too long, but one that gives you a reasonable amount of space to work with. There are yoga mats that are super long, and that would be great on the beach, but it might not work in a cramped yoga studio.
Another key component to think about when buying a yoga mat is the thickness of it. A thick mat can be very comfortable for the hands and feet, and great when doing floor exercises. They are also often heavier than the thin mats. Thin mats are great for on the go and can sometimes be more durable. What thickness of mat do you want? When comparing the thickness of it, it is often given as a millimeter measurement.
The weight of a mat is another thing to think about when buying a mat. Some mats are incredibly light while others are heavier. Find one that you like the weight of, and you can feel comfortable carrying around. If you’re backpacking or traveling, you might like a lighter mat. Other people prefer the feeling of a heavy mat. It is up to you.
The grip of a mat is a critical factor. Be sure to get a mat with a surface that you like to touch. Some mats are smooth, and others have a textured surface. The thicker mats might have a surface you can press into, while the thinner mats might simply feel flat.
A mat that has a surface that doesn’t get slippery with sweat is the safest one to use. Also, make sure that it can hold the ground firmly. A mat that stays firm on the ground during a long yoga practice will help you to maintain your poise and balance during a class.
During a hot yoga class, it’s essential to have one that will be a good grip even if it is wet. The grip of a mat could probably be one of the top factors to consider.
All of the yoga mats we picked had excellent grip. Some yoga mat towels might be good for the beach, but lack the sturdiness you need for safe practice.
Finally, another factor to consider is the durability of the mat. You want a quality mat that won’t rub off with too much use. Are you comfortable with hand washing the mat, or do you prefer a mat that can be thrown in the washing machine? Buying a reliable mat that will last is a sound investment in your yoga practice.
This list of yoga mats highlights some of the quality mats available to buy online. Some of them are more well-known brands than others, and they are organized by features that you might find useful during your yoga practice. Whether you are someone who prioritizes earth-friendly products, or someone who wants the best technology available in mats to take to the gym, you can probably find a mat that is right for you.
Choosing a mat made with yogis in mind can benefit your practice in many ways. It’s a great addition to a serious yoga practicer’s collection, and it can give a quality foundation for many practices to come. Using a quality yoga mat is a big change and upgrade in a yoga practice. These mats are designed to be good for you, and some also are helpful to the community through charities and are environmentally friendly.
Choosing the best yoga mat can be a somewhat challenging task! We've tried to take the guesswork out of it for you and compiled a list of the top 10 mats available.