Starting the journey to your fitness goals does not have to dig deep into your pockets. With a single investment in a multi-functional piece of gym equipment, you can kick-start your fitness journey. A weight bench is one of the essential equipment to help you tone up and maintain your desired strength. It comes in handy for all your presses, rows, step-ups, etc. And, with the simple features of a weight bench, you can be sure of a seamless process setting it up.
One of the questions to ask yourself while finding the best weight bench is the kind of design that suits you well. There are hard, flat options as well as flexible and adjustable benches. The selection depends on your level and intensity of workout you intend to do. On this note, this article talks about some of the best available in the market; hopefully, you have an easy time picking a favorite.
Types of Weight Benches
There are essentially three main weight benches you can choose from for your home gym.
They are the flat weight bench, adjustable weight bench and the olympic weight bench, each with their own pros and cons.
Flat Weight Bench
The most basic and most affordable weight bench on the market. As the name suggests this is a completely flat weight bench which cannot be adjusted.
Some do offer great storage solutions underneath for dumbbells and some collapse down to slide easily under furniture.
Adjustable Weight Bench
The most common choice for weight benches due to the versatility and wide range of workout options. These can incline and some decline meaning you can work the whole body.
Due to the adjustability these machines are designed to withstand quite a lot of weight.
Olympic Weight Bench
The final type we will look at are the olympic weight benches. There are two main types – adjustable and fixed and like the previous benches the adjustable benches are much more popular.
The catch with the olympic weight bench is that they are only compatible with olympic barbells but if that’s what your workouts comprise of then they are perfect.
Best Weight Bench
Gymenist Exercise Bench
1 used from $ 92.99
- We included a free cushion for the back that you can move up and down the back of the bench to put it where its most conformable for you
- Folding Exercise Bench: Great compact traveling bench and great for home storage
- Positions: Use if for military & bench press, sit ups, this bench can be adjusted to all positions from incline, flat & decline for sit up
- Seat: the seat can also be adjusted to three different positions, For decline to make sit ups you can make the seat to a great potions (see picture)
- NO ASSEMBLY NEEDED: The bench comes fully assembled, just take it out of the box and it's ready to use
When starting with a weight bench, one of the concerns is how comfortable you get when stretching out. This weight bench from Gymenist comes with a cushion to help you set up the most comfortable position as you start.
- Style: Folding
- Total weight capacity: 500 pounds
- Set-up dimensions: 14.5” seat and 31.5” back
- Positions: 3
This is one weightlifting bench that suits beginners. With the cushion provided for the back, you can get the most comfortable position to start your weight training. You can move the pillow up and down for the right back support to ensure you have proper posture before engaging in weights. This feature makes it a suitable exercise bench for first-time users and hence great for family use.
The weight bench is ideal for small spaces; thanks to its folding design. It folds to a compact size which makes it suitable for traveling. Also, it saves on storage space and therefore works well with limited space areas around the home. The bench has an adjustability feature to ensure you get different workout options. It can adjust to incline, flat and decline and works well for sit-ups and presses.
The construction of this bench stands out from the rest. It is built to withstand the irregular weights and still maintain the solid structure. Even with the adjustability feature, the bench retains the strength and stability to suit different exercises. This bench comes ready to use, and you do not need to assemble any piece.
- Quality construction
- Well-padded for support and comfort
- Easy to change positions
- Folds well for storage
- Ideal for traveling
- Wobbles a little when changing positions
This weight bench is recommended for its sturdy construction and its weight-bearing ability. It works well for starters as well as experienced bodybuilders; thanks to its solid structure.
Powerline PFID125X Flat Incline Decline Folding Bench
- Multi-bench for performing dumbbell workouts
- 7 total adjustment positions for versatility
- Supports chest presses, shoulder presses, crunches, and more
- Positions include flat, incline, decline, and near vertical
- Bottom transport wheels for easy mobility
The right home gym bench should provide you with various options to suit your custom workouts. This bench from Body- Solid Powerline is an ideal choice; thanks to its versatility.
- Style: Folding
- Total weight capacity: 500lbs
- Set-up dimensions: 18” x 57” x 16”
- Positions: 7
It is probably the best workout bench you can get out there. It features seven comfortable and safe adjustment positions for flat, incline and decline workouts. This feature makes it suitable for people that like to structure personal workouts depending on the level of strength they are working towards. Therefore, it is an ideal home gym bench for different user needs.
The bench is suitable for different workouts including sit-ups, presses, and rows. You can use it alone or add press racks to customize many exercises. The back pad declines to -18 degrees which provide you with a variety of elevated positions for structured workouts. More to this, the structure is built for stability and balance to ensure you have the right posture while working out.
For convenience, the weight bench allows folding in an easy process. The front leg folds under for a compact size bench. This feature makes it suitable for tight spaces. Also, it has built-in wheels which allow transportation for easy mobility when needed. The bench comes fully assembled for easy set-up and a hassle-free experience starting the workouts.
- Ideal for home workouts
- Works well with moderate to heavy use
- Stable when changing positions
- Folds up easily
- Great space saver for home gyms
- Narrow backrest
The Body- Solid Powerline weight bench is suitable for light to heavy home workouts. It has a sturdy construction, and the fact that it changes to multiple positions is a plus.
Fitness Reality X-Class Light Commercial Multi-Workout Abdominal/Hyper Back Extension Bench
- 650 lbs of real weight capacity. User height range of 5' to 6'4 inch
- 1 flat and 3 decline bench adjustments and 14 thigh support cushion height adjustments
- Sweat and moisture resistant double stitched vinyl bench covering
- 1 2 inches round soft and slip resistant push up and dip handle bars
- 36 inches long with 8-12 inches wide tapered bench with 2 1/2 inches thick medium Density foam. 24 inches length front and rear stabilizers make the bench extremely stable
Many people overlook the maintenance requirements of gym equipment. The Fitness Reality workout bench is designed to give you a hassle-free experience while ensuring the covering remains as good as new with regular use.
- Style: Not folding
- Total weight capacity: 650lbs
- Dimensions: 64” x 28.8” x 35”
- Positions: 4
When choosing the best workout bench for home use, one of the factors you should consider is the suitability to everyone that intends to use it. This particular weight bench allows different people to use it with a total weight capacity of 650lbs. Also, it suits a height range of 5’ to 6.4’ which works well for tall people.
The weight bench has unique adjusting positions that include one flat position and three decline positions. The different decline positions allow you to get the right posture while ensuring you are comfortable. Also, this feature makes it a suitable exercise bench for everyone with different strengths when it comes to bench workouts. And, with the round soft and slip-resistant handlebars, you can get the right grip for structured exercises.
The bench has sweat and moisture-resistant vinyl bench covering which ensures it lasts in the right condition. The bench has 4″ thick roller pads to suit different user heights. It is suitable for knee raises, back extensions, single dumbbell rows, sit-ups, and crunches. The bench is equipped with wheels to allow room-to-room transportation.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Suitable for multiple bench exercises
- Easy to assemble
- Durable cover
- Works well for beginners
- Does not fold- not ideal for tight spaces
If you are setting up a home gym and not worried about saving space, then this workout bench is an ideal choice. It is stable and functions well to allow multiple exercises.
Marcy Flat Utility Weight Lifting Bench
- Multi purpose utility flat bench
- Comfortable, high density foam and boxed upholstery
- Durable powder coated finish
- Increases strength, tones body, and flattens abs
- Rectangular 14 gauge tubing
If you are looking to get a simple workout bench for home exercises, a flat one can be a good start. This flat weight bench from Marcy is designed to kick-start your strength training to help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Style: flat bench
- Total weight capacity: 300lbs
- Dimensions: 43.4” x 15.1” x 5”
- Positions: Not applicable
This flat weight bench is made of high-density foam and a heavy duty frame to last a long time. It has a powder-coated finish to promote the durability of the structure. The flat bench works well with free weight and exercise bands to enhance the intensity of your workouts. Since it has to bear the weight, the frame is made of 14-gauge steel tubing which is known for strength and stability.
One of the qualities that stand out with this flat weight bench is its suitability for use in tight spaces. As much as it does not fold like the adjustable counterparts, this bench takes up limited space without worrying about setting up extra storage for convenience. Also, since it does not have moving parts, you can store it in any available area.
The bench is stable enough to withstand body weight with additional exercise accessories. The steel structure is durable and helps to support different exercises on regular use. It comes with a set of instructions on how to assemble, and this takes a few minutes. Also, it is lightweight which makes it ideal for easy transportation from one room to another.
- Sturdy structure
- Suitable for regular home workouts
- Easy to assemble
- Adequate size for different exercises
- High-quality padding
- Not ideal for heavy people
This flat weight bench is recommended for light to moderate bench exercise within a weight limit of 300lbs. It has a stable structure and is ideal for home use.
FLYBIRD Adjustable Bench
- ✅【ADJUSTABLE BENCH】 This Utility Adjustable Bench is Designed with 7 Back Position Adjustment & 3 Seat Position Adjustment and fits any User for Full Body Workout.
- ✅【STOWABLE BENCH】Utility Foldable Workout Bench is Easy To Carry & NO ASSEMBLY NEEDED and Can Stand by Relying on A Wall to Save Space or Stored Under the Bed.
- ✅【SAFE & HIGH QUALITY BENCH】Our Adjustable Bench Support 500-pound load capacity. Built with heavy-duty commercial quality steel the weight bench is very sturdy and durable.
- ✅【SOFT DENSE FOAM PADDING】This Weight Bench Features a soft leather which is filled with dense foam padding so it is comfortable to do any exercises.
- ✅【BUY WITH CONFIDENCE】 In FLYBIRD, Please Feel Free to Buy our Foldable Bench. Order today and get a 1 year warranty on the frame, 30 days warranty on the pads.
The quality of the padding on the bench seat and back is one of the factors to consider. Based on weights bench reviews, this particular one from Flybird is designed to offer the comfort while ensuring you work out effectively and safely.
- Style: Folding
- Total weight capacity: 500lbs
- Dimensions: 49.2” x 15.7” x 5”
- Positions: 10
This weight bench is designed to provide you with various positions for effective exercise. It adjusts to 7 back positions and three seat positions to ensure you get the right one depending on the type of training you choose. This feature provides you with a variety of choices when it comes to target area workouts as well as full body exercises.
The bench is foldable and can be transported from one room to the other. It does not require assembly which makes it an ideal piece for home workouts. After folding, this bench has a compact size to store it against a wall or under the bed to save storage space. It is built with high-quality commercial-grade steel to ensure it lasts a long time with regular use.
As you work out, it is essential to ensure you are comfortable to get the most out of your workout. This bench has soft, dense foam padding to ensure you are comfortable as you switch positions and work out. It is easy to start, and you can change the positions with minimal effort. That makes it suitable for both beginners and experienced people.
- Sturdy steel construction
- Comfortable for multiple exercises
- Compact size saves storage space
- Adequate size
- Not suitable for tall people
This weight bench is recommended for its quality construction and stable structure. It is ideal for light to heavy exercises and works well for home workouts.
Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench
$125.00 in stock
1 used from $ 116.25
- Thickly padded bench with durable stitched vinyl upholstery
- Bench adjusts to 4 levels
- Adjustable, split thigh support
- Heavy-duty 2" steel frame construction
- Easy-to-reach extended hand grips
The right exercise bench should provide you with a comfortable surface that you can safely exercise. This bench from Stamina is designed to get you the best experience structuring your workouts for desirable results.
- Style: Folding
- Total weight capacity: Not stated
- Dimensions: 36” x 17” x 7”
- Positions: 4
This bench has thick padding with durable stitched vinyl upholstery to ensure it lasts a long time. It ensures you are comfortable to get the right posture as you work out. The surface is easy to clean and does not soak sweat to keep you comfortable. The bench has adjustable thigh support, so it works for people of different heights.
More on the design, the bench has easy-to-reach extended grips. These allow you to catch your breath as you engage in hypertension exercises. The grips also come in handy for upper body strength training. The non-slip footrests ensure your feet remain in place as you work out. Also, the pivoting foam rollers work well to meet specific needs.
This weight lifting bench is convenient for use at home. It comes in a foldable design which transforms it into a compact size for easy storage. After folding, the bench can be stored in the closet, under the bed or against the wall. It works well with tight spaces which makes it the best workout bench for home use.
- Quality construction
- Padded surface for comfort
- Suitable for multiple home exercises
- Easy to fold and store
- The locking pins tend to fall out
This workout bench is suitable for light and moderate hypertension exercises as well as other upper body strength routines. It has a stable construction, and the surface is well-padded for comfort and safety.
Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
- 800 lbs weight capacity. Large walk in space providing easy side to side movement
- 2" x 2" square steel frame construction. Two 3 1/4" long chrome lock on safety bars. Two 23" long chrome dual mounted safety bars
- 19 adjustable height levels for the safety bars. Safety bars are Compatible with 7' Olympic bars
- Multi-position over head chin up/pull up grip bars. Olympic bar and weight plates not included
- Bench: smooth 12 position adjustable backrest by utilizing 2 position front leg adjustment. Can be folded for storage. Folded size: 51" L x 23.5" w x 9" H
The Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage is a squat rack and weight bench together in one.
- 800 pound weight capacity
- Large cage area
- 2″ x 2″ square steel frame
- 19 adjustable height levels
- Two chrome dual mounted safety bars
- Weight bench comes with 12 adjustable backrest positions
- User height up to 6’4″
- 1 year warranty
The Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage includes the Fitness Reality 810XLT Power Cage and with the 1000 Super Max 12 Position Weight Bench.
There are two sets of safety bars- 3 ¼ inches long chrome lock on safety bars and two 23 inches long chrome dual mounted safety bars.
The bench has an adjustable backrest to 12 different positions. You can adjust the bench to incline, flat and decline positions. decline to -20 degree and +80 degree incline angles.
The foam backrest is 1.75 inches thick and measures at 10 inches W x 33.5 inches L.
In addition the front leg can be adjusted to 2 positions.
The triangular support of the weight bench makes it very strong, able to withstand up to 800 pounds of weight.
- Weight bench is comfortable and fully adjustable
- Safety features
- Complete set
- Easy to assemble
- 1 year warranty
- Hardware pieces missing from some customer orders
The Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage is the ultimate combined workout equipment for your home gym. Although some customers have had issues with hardware not being included the quality of the power cage is excellent, especially for the price.
XMark Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Bench
- With a 1500 lb. weight capacity, the XMark Adjustable FID dumbbell bench offers unbeatable comfort and durability.
- From decline to military press position, this FID bench offers a 7 position adjustable back pad coupled with an ergonomically designed 3 position seat.
- Extra thick 3" Duracraft padding covered in sweat and tear resistant Duraguard vinyl and a foot hold down bar complete the package giving you the most sturdy and effective bench around.
- An added feature are the built-in transport wheels for quick storage as well as easy in and out under power cages, cable machines, etc.
The XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench is an extremely high weight capacity adjustable weight bench.
- A massive 1500 pound weight capacity
- 7 adjustable positions from decline to military press position
- Ergonomically designed 3 positioned seat
- Comfortable, 3″ Duracraft padding
- Sweat and tear resistance Duraguard vinyl cover on the seat
- Built in transport wheels for easy moving
- Available in grey or white frame
The XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench is an affordable weight bench that has a huge 1500pound weight capacity.
With 7 adjustable positions this bench can be used in decline right through to military press position. The seat is ergonomically designed and can be adjusted to 3 different positions too.
The weight bench takes about 45mins to assemble.
- Quality, sturdy equipment and pieces
- Comfortable, adjustable seat
- Transport wheels for ease of moving
- Padding too thick
There is a common complaint that the padding is too soft which is not good for heavy weight. If you are a heavy lifter then perhaps a less thick back rest is ideal.
For those who prefer the comfort then 3″ of padding is exceptionally comfortable! Overall the XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench is a popular, adjustable weight bench and very reasonably priced.
Bowflex 3.1 Adjustable Bench
$159.00 in stock
2 used from $ 116.55
- Transform any space into a personal free weight fitness center
- Adjusts to four different positions for over 30 different exercises
- Comes with a removable leg hold-down brace for added decline position support
- Corrects posture and stabilizes positioning for a safe, muscle-building free-weight workout
- 15-Year warranty on frame, one-year warranty on upholstery
The Bowflex 3.1 Adjustable Bench is a great adjustable weight bench without the high price tag. It is an incredibly popular weight bench that comes with a massive 15 year warranty.
- Adjustable to four positions
- Removable leg hold down brace for decline support
- Space efficient
- 15-Year warranty on frame
- One-year warranty on upholstery
The Bowflex 3.1 Adjustable Bench has four adjustment levels, they are 90 degrees, 45 degrees , 0/flat, and -30degrees (decline).
The weight bench measures 56L x 26W x 20H inches but this bench cannot be folded away for easy storage.
- Sturdy, strong weight bench
- Easy to assemble
- 15 year frame warranty
- Realistically only 3 adjustable positions
If you are looking for a basic bench then the Bowflex 3.1 Adjustable Bench has glowing reviews for the craftsmanship and sturdiness.
If you prefer more adjustment angles then try a different weight bench. This is, however, a very well priced weight bench for the quality!
BodySolid GFID71 Heavy Duty FlD Bench
- Quick, easy, solid and secure six position ladder-style back pad adjustment
- Improved design with six position seat pad adjustment allows all size users to do bent knee sit-ups and ab crunches with proper lower back support and hip alignment
- Full 2.75 in. thick DuraFirm pads will never bottom out
- T-Bar leg hold down with oversize rollers for extra comfort and stability
- Expandable for leg developer (#GLDA3), preacher curl attachment (#GPCA1) and lat attachment (#GLRA81)
The BodySolid GFID71 Heavy Duty FlD Bench is a solid, well built, adjustable weight bench by a very reputable company.
- 1000 pound weight capacity
- 2″ x 3″ steel frame
- 6 position ladder style adjustable back rest
- 2.75inch thick DuraFirm pads
- T-Bar leg hold down with oversized rollers for comfort
- Optional attachments – preacher curl, leg developer and cable pulley
- Transport wheels
- Lifetime frame warranty
The BodySolid GFID71 Heavy Duty FlD Bench is one of the longest benches in this list and has quite a large footprint. It measures at 28″W x 70″L x 19″H which is great if you have a permanent area dedicated for it.
With a 2.75 inch thick back rest this weight bench is very comfortable to use. In addition the oversize foam rollers on the T-Bar are comfortable and well padded too.
- Well built, quality weight bench
- 1000 pound capacity
- Manufactured with high quality steel
- Due to length not appropriate for shorter people
- Difficult to assemble
This bench is one of the more expensive weight benches on the list and it is a very strong, sturdy, well built piece of equipment.
Body Solid are a very reputable fitness brand and the BodySolid GFID71 Heavy Duty FlD Bench is no exception.
Universal 5 Position Weight Bench
$110.36 out of stock
1 used from $ 85.95
- Adjustable bench offers five positions (-10, 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees) and dozens of exercises
- Challenges your entire core and upper body
- Contoured shape and five-inch foam rollers ensure safe and comfortable workout
- Stabilizer levelers provide stable base on almost any type of flooring
- Measures 17 by 25 by 51 inches (W x H x D); 250-pound maximum user weight; 430-pound maximum user weight and lift load
The Universal 5 Position Weight Bench is the best value for money budget weight bench to make the list! If you are happy with a basic, no fuss weight bench then read on for more information.
- Adjustable bench offers five positions
- Contoured shape and five-inch foam rollers
- Stabilizer levelers provide stable base on almost any type of flooring
- Relatively small footprint
The Universal 5 Position Weight Bench can be adjusted to -10, 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees meaning a wide variety of exercises can be performed.
The footprint measures in at 17W x 25H x 51L inches. The weigh bench as a maximum user weight and lift load of 430pound.
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy, well built weight bench
- Good adjustability
- Weight load low for some
The Universal 5 Position Weight Bench is a very sturdy weight bench that considering the price makes it excellent value for money.
For the heavy lifters this machine has a maximum capacity of 430 pounds which will be a bit low for some.
Key Features to Consider
Depending on your weight lifting goals should determine the weight capacity of the bench. The more weight one can handle the more sturdy and well built the weight bench will be.
Be sure to remember that the weight bench capacity includes the users weight as well as the amount of weight to be lifted.
Incline and Decline Settings
The incline settings allows you to complete a variety of exercises as does the decline. The more options the better but if you already have a well established workout routine and know what angles you need then finding one that suits is easy.
A standard decline angle is -10 degrees and you won’t find more than that. I find that good enough though! It then moves through to flat and depending on the model in increments to upright.
The choice between an incline bench and a declining one depends on your overall fitness goals. However, both seem to work similarly with a structured workout routine. When looking for either of these benches, the leading pointer would have to be how easy it is to change the positions. You want to have easy control of getting the incline or decline that works best and feels comfortable.
Benches that come with both options are recommended for starters and those looking to engage in full body workouts. With the full range bench, you can structure exercises depending on the intensity level you are comfortable with. As long as the bench has a highly functional mechanism to change positions, then you are good to go.
Weight bench for your Height
The taller you are the longer the bench will need to be to accommodate for your height. The opposite is true too, if you are short be sure to choose a smaller weight bench length.
For the tall folk out there the BodySolid GFID71 Heavy Duty FlD Bench has a massive 70″ long back rest.
The right weight bench for home use should have a stable structure. It is to ensure that it remains intact on the floor as you work out. For the adjustable weight benches, it should stay balanced as you switch positions. Flat weight benches should have well-balancing feet with non-slip attachments.
The stability of the weight bench is determined by the type of material used for the base. Steel frames are some of the best as far as a stable structure is concerned. When searching through weight bench reviews, this is undoubtedly the leading factor to consider. Stability translates to an easier time working out and effective exercises altogether.
Ease of Assembly and Storage
If you are intending on putting together a home gym, the space you have determines the type of equipment to get. After you are done with the workouts, you want to have storage solutions that will not compromise on your general house plan. Therefore, it is essential to go for the compact size benches or consider those that fold for more accessible storage.
The ease of assembly also impacts the convenience of the bench. One feature to look for when selecting an appropriate weight bench is the availability of assembly instructions. Additionally, these should be easy to follow to suit beginners and people with no experience setting up gym equipment. Benches that come fully assembled are suitable as long as they have simple set-up instructions to start exercise.
On the same note, the type of tools required to fix the bench to full function matter. Most benches come with guides of the kind of tools needed, while others require you to improvise as long as you follow the instructions. Overall, easy-to-follow instructions and the right tools will make the process manageable.
Cushioning and Comfort
As far as safety while working out is concerned, the back and seat cushioning of the bench is an essential factor to consider. You should check for the availability of foam padding on these surfaces and in proper density. That will guarantee that the bench protects you as you bounce front and back during a workout. Additionally, cushioning ensures you have less pressure exerted on your muscles as you exercise.
Cushioning goes hand in hand with comfort. The padding on the seat and back determines how comfortable you feel when using the bench. Other features to check for comfort are the quality of the handles, ease of adjustments and the design of the footrests. Also, the dimensions of the bench should be adequate to suit different heights for comfort.
A weight bench can help you kick-start your home workout especially if you are looking at long-term fitness goals. It is a simple yet effective piece to help you structure exercises. That feature makes it possible to structure workouts that work best for you and align with your fitness goals in the long run.
With the essential factors to consider in mind, you can select a suitable one for your home gym. If you intend to get a bench for family use and multiple exercises, then you ought to dig deeper into the quality and design to suit the purpose. Most importantly, you should ensure you get the quality that will serve you for an extended period.
Choosing the best weight bench is made much easier with these detailed reviews!