Cycling is a low impact sport on the body compared to other exercises and provides a very challenging workout. Indoor spin classes are hugely popular and these days the option to have one in your home is easier and cheaper than you probably think!
Give then dangers associated with cycling outdoors it’s no surprise more people are turning to the safer, indoor version to workout. According to Crash Stats, the amount of cyclist fatalities is on the rise year on year, with 2018 being the worst on record since 1990 (1).
There is a huge range of indoor bikes available and it can feel a bit overwhelming when looking for the right one. In the following article, we cover the key information needed to make an educated and well-informed purchase as well as detailed reviews of the best spin bikes on the market.
If you are looking for some beginner spin bike workouts you will find them here.
11 Best Spin Bikes in 2022
Before we jump into it, let’s take a quick look at the difference between a spin bike and stationary bike.
Firstly, spin bikes are much more solid and this is due to a heavy weighted flywheel. The flywheel is also how you adjust the resistance and challenge yourself through a workout.
Essentially, the flywheel and the type of resistance is designed to closely mimic that of riding outdoors.Through the flywheel the user creates the momentum that can be resisted. It is this momentum that is the challenging part of the workout.
The other big difference is the shape of the bike. A spin bike is generally designed to be very similar to a road bike. If we consider a stationary exercise bike you will notice users sit very upright whereas on a spin bike the user leans forward and toward the handles. Although you can also stand up and include the upper body in your workout.
Advantages of Spin Bikes
- The fixed flywheel can work to improve your pedaling technique.
- Generally better built that other, stationary bikes
- Easy to adjust making it easier to tailor the bike to your height.
- Gives the user the ability to climb and sprint more easily
- Ability to isolate muscle groups
With that out of the way, let’s jump into the reviews!
Haven’t heard of Stryde? They offer on-demand spin bike classes from the best cycling studios in the country all from the comfort of your home. The spin bike itself is engineered to perfection with a few key features that make it stand out from the rest.
- Incredibly sturdy, solid frame
- Suitable for users up to 350pounds
- Magnetic resistance
- 21.5” 1080 HD touchscreen tablet
- Comfortable, cushioned seat
This bike itself is made from welded steel and finished with a matte paint- it’s sturdy and can withstand a hammering from intense cycling workouts. Speaking of which, the 22-inch android tablet is big enough and bright enough to see even in the middle of the day when sunlight might be beaming into your home.
The boutique cycling classes are a hit and the Stryde team are continually adding new and exciting classes to suit everyone. Although the subscription is a monthly fee, we think it’s well worth it especially considering its a fraction of the price of going to a studio class.
There are other exciting features that show up on the tablet through the classes including RPM and resistance as well as calories burned – this is an excellent way to see your hard work.
This spin bike is covered by a limited 1 year warranty for all components and a 5 year warranty on the frame. If you choose to assemble it yourself, the whole process shouldn’t take any longer than 1 hour.
- Excellent value
- Easy to assemble
- Great Warranty
- Hundreds of on-demand cycle classes
- Only sold through the Stryde official store – click here
- Monthly subscription for class access
Overall, we think Stryde is the new industry standard for spin bikes and in-home cycling classes. They offer an exceptional bike that’s designed to last and can handle a high user weight. It also comes with a solid warranty for a risk free purchase. Check out our full Stryde review here.
Sunny Health and Fitness Evolution Pro
1 used from $401.05
- 20 KG FLYWHEEL: 20 kg heavy-duty flywheel ensures stability to avoid jolting while riding; Emergency push-down brake stops the wheel immediately for safety;
- MAGNETIC RESISTANCE SYSTEM: Magnetic resistance is more technologically advanced than the strap resistance mechanism; When increasing the pedal resistance, the magnets move closer to the flywheel, creating tension; Magnetic resistance is virtually no maintenance and the tension any cyclist wants;
- BELT DRIVE: Belt Drive mechanism is smooth pedaling and silent; This system is low maintenance, doesn't require oil, and lasts longer and is lighter than a chain drive;
- 150 KG MAX USER WEIGHT: Heavy Duty and High Durability steel frame construction with up to 150 kg weight capacity;
- FULL ADJUSTABLE SEAT: Move your seat fore/aft and up/down to properly fit your bike; The bike padded seat is completely adjustable for multiple bike riders in your home! Inseam: Min 73 cm / Max 99 cm
This spin bike from Sunny Health & Fitness is designed using premium materials for durability.
- Material: Steel
- Max user weight: 330 pounds
- Magnetic resistance system
- 44-pound flywheel
This frame of this spin bike is made with a high-quality, heavy-duty steel. This sturdy construction allows suitability for people up to 330 pounds. Also, the materials ensures it is designed to last. With the 44 pound flywheel, this spin bike ensures you are stable and avoids jolting as you ride.
The bike operates on a magnetic resistance system. As you increase the pedal resistance, the magnets move closer to the flywheel which creates tension. This system makes the bike useful for regular exercise and typically needs no maintenance. The belt drive mechanism offers smooth pedaling and ensures you exercise silently. This means you can use the spin bike in virtually any room of your house.
More on the design, the bike has an adjustable seat to suit individual needs. Adjusting the resistance is relatively easy making it great for structured workout routines. When you increase the resistance you create a more challenging workout. For beginners, you can start on low resistance and build it up as you get used to the bike.
- Quiet operation
- Easily-adjustable resistance
- Suitable for beginners
- Simple to put together
- Solid construction
- Slight clicking sounds when starting
This spin bike by Sunny Health & Fitness is a suitable idea for someone looking to set up a home gym. It is recommended for its solid structure ease of use and easily-adjustable features. The bike is ideal for beginners as well as seasoned trainers.
Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle Bundle
- Bundle includes: Free shipping (continental U.S. only), Media Tray, Stretch Pads, floor mat, and M Connect Display.
- Made in the USA from domestic and globally sourced materials: The M3i is the ONLY indoor bike built in the U.S., ensuring the highest quality control standards
- M Connect – The M Series Connected Computer connects seamlessly to your favorite fitness apps!
- Durability and Beauty: Simple, elegant design makes the M3i extremely durable, virtually maintenance-free, and a stunning showpiece for your home or gym
- Industry’s First V-Shape Frame: Enables M3i to mimic different road-bike frames by allowing seat and handlebars to be raised in conjunction to accommodate riders of all sizes, from 4’10”–7’ tall
The Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle bike is a high-end spin bike with a high price tag to match. If you have the budget for this bike then it will not disappoint. Top of the line, this spin bike is built for comfort and to last – it is durable, sturdy and very low maintenance.
- Made in the United States
- Low maintenance
- Very quiet and smooth machine
- Magnetic resistance
- 4-way handlebar adjustments
- Seat adjustments
- Connect your computer to the Keiser app to track data
The Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle is a stylish and simplistic V-shaped design that makes it suitable for all types of body shapes and sizes. The interesting thing about this bike is the flywheel is located at the back of the bike instead of the front.
For use in group classes and also from your own home, the positioning of the flywheel is here to prevent any corrosion from sweat.
Smart computer display shows all the key information you need about your workout. Information includes RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), power and energy (Watts and Kilocalories), heart rate, elapsed time, gear and trip distance. Another great feature of the display is that it is backlit and automatically turns on when the lighting is low within the room.
If the smart computer isn’t enough there is also Bluetooth wireless with an open API for tablet and smartphone connectivity.
Dimensions of the bike are Height 45” (1143mm), Width 26” (660mm) and Length 49” (1245mm). The total weight is 85lbs (38.56kg) which is quite light and easy to move around. There are also transport wheels on the base to assist with moving.
The magnetic resistance makes this bike the best of the best. It is incredibly smooth and incredibly quiet, it’s wear and tear-free. A single belt drive train makes this low-maintenance and very reliable.
Four-way adjustable handlebars and an adjustable seat make it easy to find the right positioning for your body. Keiser has also, re-designed their bike pedal with stronger bearings, cage integrated design, ramped barbs for simple and secure foot placement as well as curvature to reduce the load on the riders foot.
- Magnetic resistance
- Easily adjustable
- Quiet and smooth machine
- High price
With glowing Amazon reviews, this bike is the top of the top. Although it comes with a high price tag if you are looking for quality and are not budget-restricted then this the Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle is the best choice.
Sole Fitness SB700
- The Sole SB700 is engineered for both the indoor and outdoor cyclist.
- The adjustable seat and handlebars move up and down as well as fore and aft, allowing a user to find just the right settings for a great workout. A heavy-duty 48 lb. chrome-plated flywheel and Kevlar braking design ensures a quiet and smooth ride.
- The integrated console displays RPM, time, KCal, distance and speed. It's also compatible with a wireless heart rate chest strap, helping users stay within heart rate training zones and work to get optimal results.
- New for this year, the SB900 now includes an Integrated tablet holder. This allows you to use your smart devices to watch shows or follow your workout routines.
- Our whisper quiet resistance gives users a smooth transition in between resistance levels, all while maintaining an extremely quiet workout. Allowing users to worry less about fitness equipment noise, and focusing more on reaching fitness goals.
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike has been designed with the serious athlete in mind. If your budget is mid-range then this spin bike is a great choice in terms of value for money.
- 48 lb. Flywheel
- Very smooth resistance
- Multi-seat and handlebar adjustments
- Seat is comfortable and ergonomically padded
- Blue, backlit LCD console displaying key information
- Wireless chest strap
- Brake pad resistance
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike is a consistent winner in terms of the value for money. The bike has been designed to cater for both indoor and outdoor cyclists.
Built to last this bike is durable, reliable and comfortable to use. The adjustments are easy to do so finding the right level of resistance is never too hard. The fully adjustable seats and handlebars can move both vertically and horizontally.
With a great LCD console included with the purchase information displayed includes RPM, time, KCal, distance, speed as well as the ability to pair it with a wireless heart rate monitor. The chest strap heart rate monitor needs to be purchased separately but for those who have strict heart zones to stay in this is ideal!
Once assembled the bike is 42 inches x 21 inches x 40 inches (LxWxH) and the overall weight is 140 pounds with a weight capacity of 300 pounds.
A big consideration for me is the comfort of the seat because who wants to make a workout even more challenging than it already is. The seat of the SB700 is gel which is certainly a lot nicer than a rigid foam alternate.
Kevlar braking has been used as the method of resistance which is extremely quiet and smooth. This along with the heavy-duty steel and aluminum frame make this bike virtually indestructible yet still lightweight enough to move around as needed.
The final feature worth mentioning is that the oversized foot pedals are actually ergonomically designed. How so? Well, the pedals slope inward at an angle of 2 degrees which reduces the impact on both your knees and ankles.
Check out the full Sole Fitness SB700 Review here!
- Small footprint
- Very smooth and quiet
- Low maintenance
- Great customer service
- Heavy-duty bike
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike also comes with a pretty solid warranty. A lifetime warranty for the frame, parts and electronics 3 years and 1 year on the labor. It is incredibly well made, sturdy and built to last.
Bladez Fitness Master GS
- Adjustable sport saddle seat features an ergonomic design for ongoing comfort during long workouts and an ergonomic racing design features adjustable fore/aft and up/down handlebars
- 45-pound, heavyweight flywheel provides a natural feel and consistent momentum featuring quiet belt drives ensures a smooth, silent workout.
- LED console is easy to read and provides motivational feedback allowing you to track and displays calories, distance, heart rate, RPM, speed, time, and watts.
- Aluminum pedals with toe baskets provide a secure platform for your feet and maximize the efficiency of your workout with club-style brake system with top-down leather pad resistance system and emergency brake.
- The oversized steel frame is reliable, strong, and stable which supports up to 300 pounds and includes transportation wheels for easy storage when the bike isn't in use.
The Bladez Fitness Indoor Cycle bike is a mid-range spin bike that presents a lot of value for money. This is a sturdy indoor spin bike that simulates a realistic riding experience.
- Vinyl Padded Foam Seat
- Durable steel frame
- Micro-adjustable seat
- Smooth to operate
- 44-pound flywheel
- Racing style handlebars
With a 44 pound flywheel this bike can handle a rigorous workout. This along with the felt pad resistance this offers a smooth and efficient riding experience.
The belt drive system is very quiet which makes it ideal for households where you need to work out quietly. Although quiet this machine is very stable, the stability does, however, make it quite heavy.
Transport wheels make it easier to move around although realistically this bike is designed to be set up and remain in place. Assembled this spin bike has a footprint of 48″ L x 19.9″ W x 4.9″ H and a user weight capacity of 300 pounds.
The LCD display shows the key information about your cycling and it is also compatible with polar heart rate monitors – these need to be purchased separately.
Easy to adjust both the seat and handlebars, this makes the bike appealing for those who wish to share the machine with others in the household. Setting up a personal cycling session is easy!
- 44-pound flywheel
- Smooth & quiet to operate
- Difficult to assemble
Overall the Bladez Fitness Indoor Cycle bike offers great value for money in this price range for spin bikes.
- Features: inertia driven flywheel with a chrome rim weighs 44 lbs. Giving a smooth and consistent ride when pedaling. Chain driven mechanism simulates road bike exercise.
- Resistance: 2-in-1 easy dial tension adjustment and push down brake offers a progressive and challenging workout. Felt pad gives smooth and even resistance.
- Fully adjustable: the cushioned ergonomic seat and handlebars adjust forward/backward and up/down, allowing a closer proximity to the handlebar. Adjustability makes this cycle bike possible to comfortably exercise.
- Transpiration: transportation wheels provide for easy relocation.
- Multi position handlebars: combined pursuit bar and Aero bar design handlebars, it gives the rider numerous hand position variations.
The Sunny SF Indoor Bike offers a smooth and steady riding experience with each workout. Given the low price point, there are a few things lacking from the design but for a simple and straightforward cycling bike, this is a good start.
- Ability to stand and ride
- Cushioned, ergonomic seat and handles
- Easy to transport and store
- Stabilizing bars and feet
- 44” L x 20” W x 44.5” H
- Heavy-duty frame
- 265 lb weight limit
With a chain drive mechanism, this bike is fairly quiet and the 44-pound flywheel really allows for a solid workout.
Made from solid steel this spin bike has a heavy-duty frame although there is a weight limit of 265 pounds. In terms of storage and transport, there are durable plastic wheels that make it easy to move around.
The resistance of this spin bike is felt which is smooth but will wear down eventually. Tension levels can be adjusted fairly easily which still allows for a tough workout.
- Easy to transport via plastic wheels
- Quiet to use
- Comfortable seat
- Attractive price
- Not as high quality as
The Sunny SF Indoor Bike is an entry-level, budget-friendly indoor cycling bike. If you are budget restricted then this bike offers good value for money. For a complete analysis, refer to the SF-B1110s article.
- 【Unprecedented： 429.99→ 369.99！！！】【3D Virtual Riding & Convenience of Workout】This upgraded APP top Indoor cycling exercise bike offers personalized coaching through the free Qiber App, allows you to experience more fun, unconsciously you have completed today's fitness goals. You can also play with your friends, speed up and surpass and to be number 1, keep you motivated. You can enjoy the convenience of working out without leaving the comfort of home.
- 【35LBS Flywheel & Smooth and Quiet & Belt Drive System】49LBS inertia-enhanced precision balanced flywheel combined with the belt drive mechanism allows for smooth and quite workouts while the built in push down emergency brake will bring the bike to an immediate stop.
- 【Adjustable Resistance & Padded Seat & Handle Bar】With a convenient tension knob, you can increase or decrease resistance to choose the difficulty level that is suit for your fitness goals. Fully adjustable handle bar with HDI rubber to fit your arm length, provides different ways of exercising; 4 way seat adjustable wide leather padded seat, can easy move forward/back and up/down. With a simple twist of a knob, your workout can remain comfortable when riding for long periods of time.
- 【Sturdy Construction & Adjustable Non-slip Pedals & Portable & Easy to Move】Tubular steel construction and a wide base provide secure stability and lasting durability. Weight capacity: 380lbs. Fully adjustable non-slip pedals to fit your arm length, provides different ways of exercising. Wheels at the front of the unit allows the user to move their elliptical machine around with ease, from room to room, or store it away out of sight.
- 【Digital Monitor & Phone Bracket & Pulse Rate Grips】 Start planning and recording your fitness statistics by using the advanced LED digital monitor which keeps track time, distance, scan, speed, calories burned and target zone heart rate monitoring. And Phone Bracket for entertainment while exercise.Our exercise bike comes with FREE replacement parts for 12 months.
If you are thinking of getting a spin bike for your home gym, It is essential to ensure that it operates quietly. This one from Ancheer is ideal for use in any room at any time; thanks to the belt drive mechanism.
- Material: Steel
- Max user weight: Not stated
- Tension resistance
- Precision-balanced flywheel
This bike is suitable for beginners and operates smoothly from start to finish. It has a belt drive system that ensures smooth and silent workouts when pedaling. The built-in pushdown emergency brake stops the bike immediately. The bike has adjustable resistance strap pedals for comfort. These come in handy when spinning at high speeds.
Also, you can increase the intensity of your workout by switching to a higher resistance level. This feature helps to create structured exercises that go hand in hand with your fitness goals for effective workouts. The pedals are designed to keep your feet secure as you ride while enhancing your stability even at high speeds.
More on the design of the bike is the adjustable seat. It adjusts to four ways which make it easy to get into position. The handlebars are fully adjustable and have HDI rubber to ensure comfort. resistance is controlled via a twist knob on the frame which is easy to use. The bike has a digital monitor that shows time, distance, speed, calories, and scan.
For the full Anchor Exercise Bike Review click here.
- Operates smoothly and quietly
- High-quality construction
- Easy to assemble and start
- Multiple adjustability features
- Not suitable for tall people
This spin bike is a good choice for someone that needs an easy-to-operate bike for home workouts. It is ideal for beginners, and the resistance levels are easy to switch for structured exercises. The bike is recommended for its stable structure, ease of use and adjustability features.
Diamondback Fitness 510Ic Adjustable
- Electronic Display provides computer controlled resistance in consistent increments
- Fore/aft seat and handlebar adjustments and a 300 pound weight capacity
- Quiet Heavy Duty 31 Pound Flywheel and steel-crafted components
- 16 levels of resistance insuring a challenge, and 14 workout programs consisting of 8 preset programs and 4 heart rate controlled programs
- Ultra-sensitive contact heart rate sensors
The Diamondback Adjustable Indoor Cycle is a good looking bike, wouldn’t you agree? Loaded with many features this bike presents great value for money. With 16 resistance levels to choose from and adjust to this bike offers a very diverse range of workout options.
- Computer Controlled Resistance System
- Belt Drive
- 16 Levels of Resistance
- 14 Workout Programs
- Adjustable saddle and handlebars
- Heavy Duty Steel Frame
- 32-pound flywheel
- Pedal power energy LCD monitor
This bike has 14 built-in workout options giving you the ability to climb mountains, hills and any other terrain you can think of. In addition, there are four different cardiovascular programs to choose from, allowing you to watch and monitor your heart rates while working out.
A backlit LCD screen comes with this spin bike and covers all the essential information. Displayed information includes distance covered, calories burned, time, cadence and heart rate. The handlebars of this indoor bike have ultra-sensitive heart rate monitors.
The LCD console is a blue backlit which makes it easy to read in all different lighting conditions. Fairly wide it is easy to see all the information displayed without having to strain. The coolest part, however, is that the monitor is battery-free – your pedaling generates the energy to power and run the monitor!
Seat and handlebars are padded fairly thickly which makes it comfortable to use. This along with the seat and handle adjustability make it easy for a range of people to use.
Dimensions are 42″ x 23″ x 46″ and a weight of 126 pounds. The user maximum capacity is 300 pounds.
The flywheel has a weight of 31 pounds which isn’t as heavy as some of the other models in this review. The heavy-duty frame does provide the strength and stability if you are worried about the flywheel not being heavy enough.
- LCD monitor
- Pre-programmed workouts
- Ultra sensitive heart rate sensors
The Diamondback Adjustable Indoor Cycle is a heavy-duty indoor cycling bike that has 14 different pre-programmed workout programs. This along with the ultra-sensitive heart rate sensors make it easy to track and monitor your fitness levels.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro
- Start an in-home cardio workout with the SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike by Sunny Health & Fitness.
- Sturdy Flywheel: The 40-pound chrome flywheel is designed to maintain momentum smoothly as you cycle on the cardio machine. Heavy flywheels support speed, stability, and consistency across your workout.
- Resistance: Increase resistance or come to a complete stop in a flash with the friction resistance knob. Use the resistance knob to increase and decrease resistance applied to the flywheel.
- Adjustable Handlebars: Ergonomic handlebars are designed to accomillimeterodate multiple riding styles while cycling on this bike for home use. Easily adjust the 2-way multi-grip handlebars, based on your height.
- Fitting & Adjustments: Tailor your riding experience to your individual height. Use the four-way adjustable seat that can be fitted to your individual leg length.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike features all the basics that one needs in a home bike. Very easy to set up, it also has transportation wheels making it easy to move around the home.
- Adjustable seat and handlebars for comfort
- Chain drive mechanism
- Heavy-duty steel frame
- Adjustable resistance
- 40lb flywheel
- 3year warranty
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike has a solid, heavy-duty steel frame and crank meaning this model is built to last.
With a 40 pound flywheel this makes for a smooth ride. The design has been engineered for both speed and stability which really mimics outdoor riding.
Equipped with a felt braking system as the resistance, it is quiet and smooth although this is where the quality and price comes into it. Felt is the most affordable method of resistance but bear in mind that it will eventually wear and tear and need replacing.
The handlebars have an advanced ergonomic design which allows for multiple hand positions over the duration of your ride. They are multi-grip, padded and slip-free which make them comfortable and easy to use even when you start to sweat!
Bike dimensions are 20W x 46.5H by 48.5D inches and it has a total weight of 108 pounds. The maximum user weight capacity is 275 pounds.
With a fully adjustable seat you can set this to the right hight and proximity to the handlebars for your workout. As it is easy to adjust there is the ability for other people in your household to use it. As I discuss below setting the right height is important for your safety and workout!
- Fully adjustable bike
- 3-year warranty
- Small footprint
- Felt resistance is not the best
For a bike that has the features without the high price tag the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a good option. Included with your purchase is a 3 year warranty of the structural frame as well as a 90-day warranty on other parts and components.
This bike has a sturdy, steel frame and can be easily moved around the home. Sunny Health Fitness is a very reputable brand and this bike has great Amazon Reviews.
- FEATURES: This cycling bike offers a belt drive and 39 Ibs flywheel that provides a smooth and quiet ride. Keep track of your fitness with the easy to read LCD monitor. It alternately displays speed, calories, pulse and time.
- RIDE WITH COMFORT: Front and rear foot levelers provide stability to achieve a smooth and comfortable ride. Seat is fully adjustable as it moves Up, Down, Fore (forward), Aft (backward) and handlebars move up and down (Inseam Min 27.4/ Max 38.3 in). Toe caged pedals secures your foot placement. Max user weight is 300 Ibs.
- ADJUST AS YOUR FITNESS IMPROVES: Adjust the resistance and you will have the ability to simulate flat ground cycling and cycling up slight and steep inclines which will increase your heart rate and of course, burn more calories for every minute you exercise. Push down on the tension knob to brake and bring the bike to an immediate stop.
- READY, SET GO!: Reach your fitness goals with the meter that’s help you achieve them! Set the meter to countdown time, distance and calories. You’ll be able to meet your goals every time you ride the Premier Belt Drive Indoor Cycling Bike.
- SPACE EFFICIENT: If you are tight on space, just wheel it out using the transportation wheels and you are on your way to a healthier future.
The ICO14 Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike presents many great features without the high price. With a 40 pound flywheel this bike performs well and is quiet.
- Very sturdy, stable bike
- Adjustable seat and handlebars
- Toe caged pedals
- Adjustable resistance
- LCD monitor with key information
- Small footprint and transportation wheels
- Belt drive
The digital monitor makes it easy to track your workout and progress. With all the key information displayed including your time, speed, distance, calories burned and RPM. The other great thing is there is a scan mode, as well as pulse readouts if you wish!
Heavy flywheels are linked to a smoother ride and this one weighs in at 40 pounds. The bike is also equipped with front transportation wheels which makes it easy to lift, angle and move the machine to and from your workout area.
Built into the handlebars are pulse grips which are where the monitor can read your heart rate. This is great for those who have targeted heart rate zones for their workouts. The more steady, prolonged and elevated your heart rate the more fat you have the opportunity to burn.
A secure foot cage has been added to the pedals of this bike which prevents foot slippage meaning you can really push yourself. The seat is also adjustable via the twist of a knob- it can moe back and forth as well as up and down.
The resistance of this bike is felt which is what you can expect from the lower-priced models. It is still a quality bike but you will need to replace the felt eventually.
The Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike has a maximum user weight of 300 pounds. The bike is 54L x 20W x 48H inches and has a weight of 109 lbs.
- Well priced
- Smooth and easy to use
- Quick and easy to assembly – all tools packaged with the product
- Easy to adjust handlebars and seat
- Seat is a bit uncomfortable
The Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike is well priced for the features it has. Overall this bike is a basic yet sturdy and well-designed exercise bike.
- Aluminum frame construction manufactured by Giant – provides rust-free performance and is significantly lighter than steel
- 6-Magnet brake system allows for smooth, consistent control and provides maintenance-free resistance that won't wear or change over time
- Virtual Contact Resistance Technology – the magnetic brake does not contact the flywheel, eliminating friction and wear
- Belt drive using Carbon Blue technology for an authentic outdoor ride feel and virtually zero maintenance
- Double link pedals with SPD and toe-clip combination. Lightweight performance handlebars with ErgoLoop, aero bars, and 12 degree incline enable multiple user positions and increased comfort levels
The Iron Company is a premium indoor spin bike that is packed with many different features. Manufactured with an aluminum frame by the reputable cycling company Giant this bike is significantly lighter than steel yet still durable and stable.
- Lightweight yet durable
- 6 magnet braking system
- Adjustable seat and handlebars
- Comfortable and ergonomic handles
- Easy to transport
- Belt driven chain
Using a 6 magnet brake system the resistance of this machine is smooth and consistent. As the magnets never come in contact with the flywheel there is no friction, no wear and therefore no maintenance required on the bike.
ErgoLoop performance handlebars and aero bars make it comfortable for prolonged use. These along with the double link pedals provide a secure area for your footing through those tough hill climbs.
Belt driven, this bike uses carbon blue technology which simulates pretty closely the actual feel of riding outdoors.
Measuring at 44″ x 38″ x 11″ with a total unit weight of 112 pounds. This bike can handle a maximum user weight of 350 pounds.
Suitable for users between the height of 4’11” and 6’8″ the handlebars and seat are adjustable. This design also incorporates a 12-degree incline which allows for multiple users and increased comfort levels.
- Magnetic resistance
- Lightweight yet sturdy and strong
- Comfortable to ride
- No computer monitor
Included with your purchase of the Iron Company is a 10-year warranty on the frame, 2 years on mechanical parts and 1 year on labor.
How to Set Up a Spin Bike
So you’ve bought a spin bike, now you got to dedicate the time to using it but most importantly adjusting it to the correct height for your body and build. Follow my step by step instructions below!
Adjust the Saddle Height
When using a spin bike the saddle of the bike needs to be parallel to your hip bone. If you can’t find the right spot or are unsure then there is one other way to find the ideal height.
I recommend standing near a wall or ask someone to balance on for this method. Lift your thigh until it is at a 90-degree angle to the floor but be sure that it is level and so are your hips. Also, make sure your hips are both facing the front this is known as squaring off the hips. From here adjust by either raising or lowering the saddle height until it is level with the center of your leg.
Move the Saddle Forwards and Backwards
Now you need to find the right distance between your seat and the handlebars, this is important to get right as the knees come into play here. Knees need to be over the feet but not jutting out past your toes.
Finding neutral is key, what and where is neutral? This is the point in between the back and forth motion of cycling where there is a clear middle.
Perhaps a sense of ease of the moment of calm before pushing through another revolution.
This can take a little bit of playing around, sliding the saddle forward and back and testing out a few positions.
Once you find that neutral spot, it can be quite easy. If you are a complete beginner, we definitely recommend heading to a spin class and having a teacher or professional explain it to you and help you out.
Handle Bar Adjustment
Important for making sure the spine is in a neutral position while riding, place a slight bend in your elbows and lightly rest your hands on the handlebar. It should feel comfortable and as long as your spine is in a straight, neutral position then it’s fine. Fine-tune the height and level until it feels great for your body – no one knows it better than you.
If you have made all the necessary adjustments may I recommend giving the spin bike a quick check over to ensure you have tightened everything up. There is nothing worse than a horrible accident on a spin bike!
The two big checks for me are that the handlebars and saddle because I don’t even want to experience either of those coming undone and falling off mid-spin!
Key Features to Consider When Purchasing a Spin Bike
There are many things to look for when making your purchase for the best spin bike. Listed below are what we consider are key things to think about.
Resistance is a crucial feature as this is where your workout really comes from. To easily adjust the resistance while in motion is important.
There are a few different ways the user can adjust the resistance and intensity of the workout.
It can be in the form of a knob, lever or button but this varies with the bike model. Which one you prefer is a personal choice.
Having the ability to change the seat height as well as move it forward or backward is very important. In addition, adjustable handlebars are a feature worth paying extra for.
If you plan to share this bike with family members then being able to change these things and easily ought to be considered.
Of course, this is a pretty high consideration. Most spin bike seats are quite hard so don’t be alarmed if you find it very uncomfortable. It can take some getting used to.
If the seat is too uncomfortable, consider purchasing a gel overlay or some padded shorts.
The heavier the flywheel the smoother the ride. The momentum of a heavy flywheel works to keep the bike stable and secure. If you really like to push the limits then the heavier the flywheel the better.
Essentially the heart of your spin bike, the flywheel is the critical component to the functioning of your new bike. Mechanical energy is used and transferred through the flywheel which is actually a large, heavy disk.
Having a ‘real’ wheel is not exactly safe and is not exactly practical so the heavy, weighted flywheel is the replacement.
Further adding to the safety of this wheel is that it is always encased in solid, sturdy housing.
When I say that the flywheel is heavy, it really is, weighing in at around 50 pounds.
The heavier the flywheel the more stable and more of a workout or more of a thrashing you can give the spin bike. This is why when you first jump onto your spin bike that those first few pedals seem like pushing through concrete.
From the flywheel the next big factor is the resistance type, which is how the bike is going to brake and in the process put you through a hard workout.
Types of Resistance
There are three main types of resistance that your indoor spin bike could use including, direct contact resistance, magnetic resistance and fan-based resistance.
When deciding on which type of resistance to go with, not all bikes are created equal. These are many different working components that offer very different rides. Let’s take a look at each resistance type in a little more detail to equip you with the knowledge to make the right decision.
Generally speaking, the majority of spin bikes use a magnetic resistance which isn’t that similar to an actual road bike. So why do they use this? To be fair, it is the easiest way to provide adjustability while cycling.
Direct Contact Resistance
Direct braking is where the brake is applied directly onto the flywheel causing friction and the rotational speed to reduce. With the rotational speed reduced the resistance becomes a whole lot harder and thus a more difficult workout.
This resistance is what I would consider fairly accurate or similar to a road bike riding in the sense of gear changes and hills etc. Direct contact resistance uses brake pads which are mostly made from felt. Although I imagine there are many other material types out there now.
This is arguably the biggest negative about direct contact brake resistance, that they will eventually wear and need replacing. It is impossible to give a life cycle estimate because it will change with many external factors such as weight, level of resistance used and time of use.
If you decided to purchase a spin bike that uses this type of resistance then factor in that sometime down the track you will need either replace the brake pads or buy a new flywheel.
Magnetic resistance spin bikes are now leaders in the indoor cycling market and it’s understandable as to why. The biggest attractive aside from smooth operation is that the parts will never wear down because there is no contact with the brakes and flywheel.
How exactly does it work? Through electromagnetic induction between the magnets the flywheel resistance can be adjusted. Still a little confused? Essentially, this is the same principle that the Japanese bullet train use.
If you didn’t know, bullet trains travel at extremely high speeds but never actually come in contact with the train track. Mind-blowing that we have that technology right? What’s even cooler is that you can have this within your own home, within your own spin bike.
While many people are yet to experience the smooth, comfortable ride a bullet train offers, let me tell you, that riding a magnetic resistance bike is smooth. Another great feature is that they are virtually silent in operation and the resistance can be adjusted with the touch of a button.
Not as popular these days but still a spin bike definitely worth considering, simple and easy to fix should any issues arise.
The fan and your pedal power pushing the air through it is your resistance. Simply adjust the speed of your peddling, increase your speed and you will also increase the air resistance. Decrease your speed and your resistance will decrease too.
It may seem pretty simple and it is, the fan connects via a belt and pulley system to the pedals. The other great thing? The fan actually pumps out a decent breeze!
Spin Bike Warm-Ups
Like any exercise, it is very important to warm up your muscles before diving into a tough workout. Not only will this prevent injuries but it also allows the body to push itself that little bit harder. While cycling and spinning itself is a fantastic warm-up there are a few things we recommend doing beforehand.
Many people will let out a groan when we mention this but stretching really is key, especially if you have tight hamstrings, hip flexors, and glutes which the vast majority of the male population do have. So don’t skip out the stretching part!
Not only does warming up prevent injury but it also decreases the muscle recovery period. Especially if you stretch after the workout as well. Remember, stretching shouldn’t cause pain, slight discomfort but definitely not any pain. Know your body and don’t push things.
So what stretches do we recommend?
Start with slow and steady shoulder rolls to loosen up the upper body. People tend to tense the upper body in a bid to work out the legs so be mindful of this and try to begin your workout with loose shoulders. It becomes much more apparent that you’re clenching and tensing if you have already paid attention to them.
Stand up, lift your shoulders to your ears then roll them backward then forward and back up to the ears. Do this five times rolling backward then forward and then reverse it.
Tight shoulders can also mean a tight neck. Begin by lowering your chin to your chest and stretch the back of the neck, hold for 15 seconds then reverse it and lift your chin to the sky.
Drop your right ear to your right shoulder, hold for 15 seconds, swap sides.
A few neck rolls, say 3 in each direction so stretch things out nicely.
Particularly important for those working behind desks or on their mobile devices a lot.
If you do work a desk job try doing these stretches before leaving work so you’ll be prepped and ready for your spin bike session when you get home!
Hold the right wrist with the middle finger and thumb of your left hand for support, complete 10 wrist circles of the right hand in one direction and 10 in the other. Swap sides.
Holding your arm out straight make a stop sign with your hand then pull the fingers back toward you with the free arm.
Hold for 15 seconds, on the same outstretched hand drop the fingers so they are pointing to the ground and pull them back toward you. Swap arms.
Standing up, lift your hands over your head and begin to hinge at the hips until your body makes a right angle with the floor. Sometimes using a chair, table or even your spin bike will assist with achieving the 90-degree angle and allow you to pull back and stretch out the lower back. Release and flop towards the floor. Repeat this a few times.
Stretch the Hips & Legs
Light cycling seems to awaken the legs, hips, and glutes but if you’re already tight then be sure to do a few leg kicks (bring your leg up an back 10 times on each side).
A quad stretch. This is done by bringing the heel of your right foot to the right butt cheek while standing, hold for 15 seconds then swap legs.
Lastly, a hamstring stretch. Hamstrings can be stretched by either sitting or standing and leaning down the leg you are stretching, reaching for the toes.
Spin bikes are a great way to get a very intense workout and nowadays there is the ability to do so from the comfort of your home!
There are many on the market and they are increasing in popularity.
When choosing the right spin bike for yourself consider the flywheel weight (the heavier the better) as well as adjustability features.
If you still aren’t convinced a study completed in August 2019 analyzed several studies about the positive effect on one’s Health from indoor cycling, the results being excellent (2).
It must be said that all of the spin bikes listed in this review are high quality and we have tried to cater to a range of budgets. The choice is, of course, a personal one that will change depending on your needs and any accessories or key features you want in a spin bike. Either way, spinning is an excellent form of exercise and we’re sure you’ll be happy with your purchase! In in our opinion the Stryde bike is our clear cut winner!
Consider our individual reviews here:
- US Department of Transportation. October 2019. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812826
- Manuel Chavarrias et al. 2019. Health Benefits of Indoor Cycling: A Systematic Review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6722762/
Check out our ratings for the best spin bikes before choosing which one to buy.