Cycling is a low impact sport on the body compared to other exercises and provides a very challenging workout.
Indoor spin classes are hugely popular and these days the option to have one in your home is easier and cheaper than you probably think.
The following post will cover some key information as well as what we consider the best spin bikes on the market.
Key Differences Between Spin Bikes and Stationary Bikes
Spin bikes are a much more solid and has a heavy weight flywheel. You can adjust the resistance to suit your fitness level and how you would like to be challenged.
The flywheel of the spin bike is the key difference from stationary bikes. The idea is for a spin bike to mimic a road bike.
Through the flywheel the user creates the momentum that can be resisted. It is this momentum that is the challenging part of the workout.
The shape. A spin bike is generally designed to be very similar to a road bike. If we consider a stationary exercise bike you will notice users sit very upright whereas on a spin bike the user leans forward and toward the handles. Although you can also stand up and include the upper body in your workout.
Advantages of a Spin Bike
- The fixed flywheel can work to improve your pedalling technique.
- Generally better built that other, stationary bikes
- Easy to adjust making it easier to tailor the bike to your height.
- Gives the user the ability to climb and sprint more easily
- Ability to isolate muscle groups
Best Spin Bikes 2018
Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike
- Reviewed as a best buy in its price range
- Heavy 48 lb. Flywheel for smooth resistance
- Offers multi seat and handlebar adjustments
- Comfortable ergonomic padded saddle for long distance training
- Vibrant, easy to view console
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike has been designed with the serious athlete in mind. It is one of the more expensive on our list but if you are looking for a top quality spin bike then this is a great choice.
- 48 lb. Flywheel
- Very smooth resistance
- Multi seat and handlebar adjustments
- Seat is comfortable and ergonomically padded
- Blue, backlit LCD console displaying key information
- Wireless chest strap can for her
- Brake pad resistance
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike is a consistent winner in terms of the value for price. The bike has been designed to cater for both indoor and outdoor cyclists.
The LCD console displays RPM, time, KCal, distance as well as speed. Assembled the bike is 42 inches x 21 inches x 40 inches (LxWxH).
This bike uses brake pad resistance which makes it very quiet and smooth.
- Small footprint
- Very smooth and quiet
- Low maintenance
- Great customer service
- Heavy duty bike
- Weighs 140pound so moving it around is not an easy task
The Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike also comes with a warranty. A lifetime warranty for the frame, parts and electronics 3 years and 1 year on the labor. It is incredibly well made, sturdy and built to last.
Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle
- Incredibly durable, made in the U.S.A. and nearly maintenance free
- Smooth, whisper-quiet magnetic resistance
- Connect your bluetooth enabled computer to the Keiser M Series fitness app for data tracking, or connect to BKOOL for an immersive 3D cycling experience
- 4-way handlebar and seat adjustments for the perfect fit every time
- Modern, sleek design compliments any room
The Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle bike is the most expensive on the list. If you have the budget for this bike then it will not disappoint. Built for comfort and to last it is durable, sturdy and very low maintenance.
- Made in the United States
- Low maintenance
- Very quiet and smooth machine
- Magnetic resistance
- 4 way handlebar adjustments
- Seat adjustments
- Connect your computer to the Keiser app to track data
The Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle is a stylish and simplistic design with black and red. The computer with the ability to transmit to a receiver and project onto a screen.
Dimensions of the bike are Height 45” (1143mm), Width 26” (660mm) and Length 49” (1245mm). The total weight is 85lbs (38.56kg) which is quite light and easier to move around. There are also wheels on the base to assist with moving as well.
The magnetic resistance makes this bike the best of the best. It is incredibly smooth and incredibly quiet.
- Magnetic resistance
- Easily adjustable
- Quiet and smooth machine
- High price
With glowing Amazon reviews, this bike is the top of the top. Although it comes with a high price tag if you are looking for quality and are not budget restricted then this the Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle is the best choice.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
- Indoor cycling bike with 40-pound flywheel
- Heavy-duty crank and smooth chain drive mechanism
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebars for comfort
- Adjustable resistance systems; transport wheels
- Supports up to 275 pounds; measures 20 x 46.5 x 48.5 inches (W x H x D)
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike features all the basics that one needs in a home bike. Very easy to set up, it also has transportation wheels making it easy to move around the home.
- Adjustable seat and handlebars for comfort
- Chain drive mechanism
- Heavy duty steel frame
- Adjustable resistance
- 40lb flywheel
- 3year warranty
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a solid steel structure with a 40 pound flywheel.
Fully adjustable seat and handlebars, this bike can be used by almost anyone. The maximum weight capacity is 275lbs.
Bike dimensions are 20W x 46.5H by 48.5D inches and has a total weight of 108 pounds.
- Fully adjustable bike
- 3 year warranty
- Small footprint
- Quite noisy
For a bike that has the features without the high price tag the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a good option.
This bike has a sturdy, steel frame and can be easily moved around the home. Sunny Health Fitness are a very reputable brand and this bike has great Amazon Reviews.
Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike
- FEATURES: This cycling bike offers a belt drive and 40 Ibs flywheel that provides a smooth and quiet ride. Keep track of your fitness with the easy to read LCD monitor. It alternately displays speed, calories, pulse and time.
- RIDE WITH COMFORT: Front and rear foot levelers provide stability to achieve a smooth and comfortable ride. Seat is fully adjustable as it moves Up, Down, Fore (forward), Aft (backward) and handlebars move up and down (Inseam Min 27.4/ Max 38.3 in). Toe caged pedals secures your foot placement. Max user weight is 300 Ibs.
- ADJUST AS YOUR FITNESS IMPROVES: Adjust the resistance and you will have the ability to simulate flat ground cycling and cycling up slight and steep inclines which will increase your heart rate and of course, burn more calories for every minute you exercise. Push down on the tension knob to brake and bring the bike to an immediate stop.
- READY, SET GO!: Reach your fitness goals with the meter that's help you achieve them! Speed, time, distance, RPM, calories and pulse readouts. You'll be able to meet your goals every time you ride the Premier Belt Drive Indoor Cycling Bike.
- SPACE EFFICIENT: If you are tight on space, just wheel it out using the transportation wheels and you are on your way to a healthier future.
The ICO14 Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike presents many great features without the high price. With a 40 pound flywheel this bike performs well and is quiet.
- Very sturdy, stable bike
- Adjustable seat and handlebars
- Toe caged pedals
- Adjustable resistance
- LCD monitor with key information
- Small footprint and transportation wheels
- Belt drive
LCD display shows speed, time, distance, RPM, calories as well as pulse readouts making it easy to track your workout.
The Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike has a maximum user weight of 300 pounds. The bike is 54L x 20W x 48H inches and has a weight of 109 lbs.
- Well priced
- Smooth and easy to use
- Quick and easy to assemble – all tools packaged with the product
- Easy to adjust handlebars and seat
- Seat is a bit uncomfortable
The Indoor Cycle Bike, Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike is well priced for the features it has. Overall this bike is a basic yet sturdy and well designed exercise bike.
Indoor Cycle Bike, Quiet Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike
- FLYWHEEL - With a 22 lb chromed flywheel, the heavier the flywheel, the smoother the ride! Creating more momentum for longer periods of time keeps your workout going the distance.
- ADJUSTABLE SEAT - With a 4-way adjustable seat that allows you to adjust it up/down & forward/back, this bike can accommodate most users comfortably.
- DIGITAL MONITOR - Tracking your progress is simple with the Digital Monitor screen! Displaying your time, speed, distance, and calories burned, you will be able to see your results to keep you motivated and on pace.
- RESISTANCE - Switch up the intensity of your workout with the convenient Felt Pad tension knob. With a simple twist, you can increase or decrease resistance so your workout can remain challenging and effective throughout your fitness journey. Perfect for any user's skill level!
- BELT DRIVE - Cause who wants a noisy chain on their bike? A belt driven mechanism is quieter and virtually maintenance free.
The IC007 Indoor Cycle Bike, Quiet Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike has made the list for the best budget spin bike. If you are happy with the basics and don’t have a big budget then this is a good choice.
- 4 way adjustable seat
- Twist knob resistance
- 22lb flywheel
- Digital monitor
- Belt drive
The flywheel on the IC007 Indoor Cycle Bike, Quiet Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike is half the weight of the previous models but is ok. If you are a serious athlete then this bike won’t do.
The digital monitor displays time, speed, distance as well as calories burned. With a belt drive you can expect this bike to be quiet and also very low maintenance.
- Low maintenance
- Belt drive
- Light flywheel
If you are looking for basic spin bike the Indoor Cycle Bike, Quiet Belt Drive Cycling Trainer Exercise Bike is the best choice. While it is much lighter than the others one can still have a solid work
Key Features to Consider When Purchasing a Spin Bike
There are many things to look for when making your purchase for the best spin bike. Listed below are what we consider are key things to think about.
Resistance is a crucial feature as this is where your workout really comes from. To easily adjust the resistance while in motion is important.
There are a few different ways the user can adjust the resistance and intensity of the workout.
It can be in the form of a knob, lever or button but this varies with the bike model. Which one you prefer is a personal choice.
Having the ability to change the seat height as well as move it forwards or backwards is very important. In addition adjustable handlebars are a feature worth paying extra for.
If you plan to share this bike with family members then being able to change these things and easily ought to be considered.
Of course this is a pretty high consideration. Most spin bike seats are quite hard so don’t be alarmed if you find it very uncomfortable. It can take some getting used to.
If the seat is too uncomfortable, consider purchasing a gel overlay or some padded shorts.
The heavier the flywheel the smoother the ride. The momentum of a heavy flywheel works to keep the bike stable and secure. If you really like to push the limits then the heavier the flywheel the better.
Spin bikes are a great way to get a very intense workout. There are many on the market and they are increasing in popularity. When choosing the right spin bike for yourself consider the flywheel weight (the heavier the better) as well as adjustability features. We recommend the Sole Fitness SB700 Exercise Bike. If you are budget restricted then the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a great choice.
There are literally hundreds of new spin bike models being added to Amazon monthly and every new spin bike has some new feature you’ve probably never seen before. However, these new features that have not been tested for long periods of time may end up with breaking quickly or worse yet causing an injury. As such this list is the top spin bikes for 2018.