15 Best Punching Bags
Boxers and MMA fighters are amongst the best athletes on the planet. Training for fighting develops a high level of aerobic fitness and strength and is also excellent for fat burning. They’re real allrounders, and part of any fighters’ training involves working with a punching bag.
Punchbag training is also a great workout for non-fighters too. It’s good for your arms, shoulders, chest, and core and provides a release from stress too.
But which is the best punching bag?
There are lots of different makes and models to choose from. From heavy bags you need to hang from the ceiling to freestanding bags that look like a real person.
To help you make your choice, we’ve tested and reviewed some of the most popular punching bags around, plus some other boxing-related equipment, including gloves and speed trainers.
Armed with this information, you should have no problem finding the best punching bag for your budget and your training needs.
Best Punching Bag
Everlast Omniflex Freestanding
1 used from $129.76
- Nevatear outer shell provides durability and functionality
- Omniflex neck allows for maximum impact absorption and reduced base movement
- Low profile base design for punches and kicks
- Approximately 130lbs when filled with water
- High grade, shock absorbing foam construction
The Everlast name is synonymous with boxing, and they’ve been making quality boxing kit for what seems like forever! This freestanding punch bag is ideal for home use and should provide a fun if light workout for kids and adults alike.
- Fillable base (use water or sand)
- 360-degree spring
- Adjustable height
- Pre-filled bag
- Large striking surface
This is not a heavy punch bag. The spring is relatively light, so you can’t hit it very hard. But, that light spring action means the bag comes back at you pretty fast, so it’s good for sharpening up your reflexes. Think of this product as a lightweight sparring partner, and not a heavyweight contender!
- Easy to use
- Good for cardio workouts
- Will increase speed and reaction time
- Not a heavy bag
- Not suitable for power punching
- Quite expensive
If you want a freestanding punching bag with stand for light workouts, this could be the product for you. But, if you want a punching bag you can really lay into, this model is probably too light. That said, for a fun cardio workout, this punching bag will work fine.
Muay Thai Heavy Bag
- Made in the USA|Ships FILLED 130 pounds|Does not require chains|Filled ONLY with fabric
- Note: The item does not come with a D-ring
When it comes to realistic boxing training, you need a heavy bag. This full-length Muay Thai bag weighs 130 pounds, so it will provide plenty of resistance for your punches and kicks. On the downside, you will need somewhere high to hang it from, as it’s about five-feet long.
- Free hanging kickboxing bag
- Packed with dense material
- Designed for kicking and punching
- Fitted with hanging straps
- Made for heavy use
This punching bag is made for heavy use. You can kick and punch it as hard as you like, and it will keep swinging back for more. At 130 pounds, you will need a strong anchor from which to hang it, such as a joist or concrete ceiling.
- Suitable for heavy use
- Use to increase punching and kicking power
- Heavy and robust
- Very hardwearing
- Will need a strong anchor point – not supplied
If you take your boxing training seriously and have somewhere suitable to hang it, this bag is an excellent choice. Made for hardcore and heavy-duty workouts, this bag would be at home in any boxing or kickboxing gym.
1 used from $150.00
- Durable stitching with double and triple reinforces seams
- Multiple colors to match your style
- The bag weighs 100 lbs.
- Sleek design and synthetic leather means you get professional quality and durability
At 100 pounds, this isn’t the heaviest bag on review, but it’s weighty enough for most users. Durable and well-priced, this bag is ideal for home exercisers. It’s not as long as a Muay Thai kickboxing bag, but that means it’s easier to hang and suitable for training rooms with low ceilings.
- Made from synthetic leather
- Triple-stitched seams for strength
- Fitted with webbing straps with hanging clips
- D loop on base for fixing it to the floor to prevent swinging
- Available in four colors
Unlike a lot of other models, at 43 inches, this is not a long punch bag. That might be a drawback if you want to practice low kicks, but for punching, it’s pretty much ideal. Plus, you won’t need to find a high anchor point from which to hang it. Even with a low hang, it will still be clear of the floor, making it ideal for garage and basement gyms.
- Good weight
- Smooth but solid punching surface is easy on your hands
- Too short for kicking
With hanging straps instead of chains, this bag is very quiet in use. At 100 lbs. it will still swing when hit, but that’s easily remedied by attaching a bungee to the base and then to the floor. For the price, this heavy punch bag is hard to beat.
Everlast 70-Pound MMA
3 used from $82.74
- Specially blended filler mix of sanitized synthetic and natural fibers provide resilient shock absorbency
- Premium synthetic polycanvas along with superior heavy bag construction provides long lasting durability
- Heavy duty nylon straps provide security and safety, while the double end loop provides increased functionality
At 70 lbs. this bag is a light “heavy” bag but should be weighty enough for recreational use. Made by famous boxing equipment manufacturer Everlast, this hardwearing if compact punchbag should provide years of faithful home use.
- Tough poly canvas outer shell
- Filled with shock-absorbing synthetic and natural fibers – no sand
- Fitted with heavy-duty hanging straps
- 53” long
- Loop on base for fixing it to the floor
This medium-weight heavy bag is ideal for home use. It’s heavy enough that it can take a good punch, but not so heavy you’ll injure yourself. This makes it suitable for beginners and intermediate users. The tough outer shell is triple stitched, so it won’t split, even with regular use.
- Firm but shock-absorbing filling
- Easy to hang
- May be too light for more experienced and stronger users
This punching bag from Everlast is perfect for home use. Heavy enough to provide a good workout, but not so heavy that it’s hard to hang, it will provide a good workout for most beginners and intermediates. But, if you are a power hitter, this bag will probably swing too much.
Boxing Reflex Ball Set
- WHAT YOU NEED: Are you searching for a fun way to improve your reaction time, agility, and your punch speed? The answer is here with the American Fist boxing reflex ball kit.
- 4 DIFFICULTY LEVELS: The boxing speed reflex headset comes with 4 different balls corresponding to multiple difficulty levels: newbie, veteran, boxer, and beast mode.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Why chose the American Fist punching ball training kit? Because it comes with a special headband with a premium anti-slip design that makes the set safe and easy to use.
- SPECIAL BONUS: The amazing headband punching ball includes 4 lobster locks that make the entire set easy to assemble and switch between different balls.
- REAL BENEFITS: Using the head punching ball gear regularly will help you train your reaction time, agility, punching speed, fight skill, fitness and hand-eye.
Boxing workouts do not have to be all about hitting hard. In fact, a lot of boxing training involves speed and reflex exercises. This isn’t really a punching bag, but it is a boxing trainer that will develop your speed and reaction time.
- Designed to develop up hand speed, reaction time, and eye-hand coordination
- Suitable for adults and kids
- Four training levels
- Supplied with a user manual and bonus hand wraps
- Easy to use but hard to master!
To use this product, you put the headband on your head and then try to punch and dodge the attached ball. The harder you hit it, the faster the ball comes back at you. With four training levels to choose from, this trainer is suitable for users of all levels of user.
- A fun workout
- Easy on your hands
- An alternative to more traditional boxing workouts
- Won’t develop strength or fitness like a punching bag can
- Looks kinda silly!
- Could snap back and hurt your face if you miss the ball
This training tool won’t do anything for your fitness, strength, or punching power. But it might increase your speed and eye-hand coordination. Think of this product as a skill trainer rather than a fitness tool and be prepared for some funny looks when you use it in company.
Century Original Wavemaster
The Wavemaster is the original freestanding punch bag. Fill the base to make it stable enough to kick or punch. With seven height adjustments, it’s suitable for users of all heights. However, while the base IS heavy, this is not a heavy bag and is not suitable for hardcore use.
- The base can be filled with sand, water, or both
- Flexible spring for fast rebounds
- Firm but forgiving punching surface
- Easy to adjust in 3” height increments
- Can be punched/kicked from 360 degrees
This is an excellent fitness punching bag. If you hit or kick it too hard, it may topple over and is also likely to move. Plus, the rebound spring can be damaged with very heavy use. But, for a cardio-based workout, this product is fun and easy to use.
- Ideal for home workouts
- Easy on the hands
- Suitable for developing fitness, endurance, and speed
- Not suitable for heavy punching
The base can be filled with water or sand. However, when filled with water, the base is prone to moving as the water sloshes about. Because of this, sand is the best filler, especially if you don’t want to have to chase your bag around your workout area! Make it even more stable by using sand and water together. Fill with sand first, and then put in as much water as possible to maximize the weight.
Century BOB XL
- Freestanding heavy bag with life-like upper torso
- Creates more striking surface for head or body shot training
- High-strength plastisol body filled with urethane foam
- Polyethylene base holds up to 270 pounds of water or sand
- Rolls easily for transport; multiple height settings
Most punching bags look like exactly that – cylindrical bags. Century BOB is a freestanding punch bag with a lifelike torso, so you can imagine you are punching and kicking an actual person. Work the body and then move to the head with Century BOB’s realistic torso.
- Freestanding, fillable base
- Full-sized human-shaped torso and head
- Adjustable height
- Built-in spring for faster rebounds
- Suitable for fitness training and self-defense
Taking on Century BOB is like fighting a real opponent. You can’t just swing aimlessly. You need to aim your punches at his features. With a realistic head to aim for, you can work on uppercuts and hooks, and then switch to the lower body and hit him in the ribs and solar plexus. With BOB, you’ve got the next best thing to a real sparring partner.
- The stable base can be filled with water and/or sand
- Easy to move around – just lean and roll
- Provides a realistic target to punch and kick
- Helps improve punching and kicking accuracy
- Can fall over if kicked or punched with too much force
Working out with Century BOB is a lot of fun. He takes his punishment like a man and keeps coming back for more. He’s a good sparring partner who can take a good punch. But, he’s a middleweight contender and not a heavyweight champion, so if you want a punchbag for really heavy use, BOB may not be the right choice for you, and a traditional heavy bag could be better.
Hyperflex Strike Bag
- High density plastic base. Designed for reflex workout
This small punching bag is designed to increase speed, reaction time, and hand-eye coordination. With a small target to hit, you’ll need to aim your punches well, and the harder you hit it, the faster it’ll rebound back at you. This is not a bag for building strength, but for skill training, it’s an excellent choice.
- Adjustable height
- Fillable base
- Rapid return spring
- Small punching target
This bag is not designed for power punching. Instead, you should punch it with moderate force and then try and hit it again as it springs back to you. This will develop punching accuracy and hand speed. If you do try and punch this bag with full power, it will a) come back at you faster, and b) may break. This is a useful tool for improving fitness.
- A fun workout
- Easy to use
- The return speed is adjustable
- Not a heavy-duty punching bag
If you want a product for heavy use or developing punching power, this is not the product for you. But, for speed and reflex training, this model is an excellent choice. Fill the base with a combination of sand and water to ensure it won’t tip over during use.
7 used from $97.06
- Included Components: Assembly Instructions
Heavy punch bags are great for hardcore workouts. Hitting one will develop punching power, as well as fitness. Most weigh at least 100 lbs. and that’s a problem. Heavy bags are expensive to ship. This water-filled heavy bag from Everlast ships empty, so you won’t have to pay a fortune for postage.
- Holds up to 100 lbs. of water
- Provides a realistic hitting sensation
- Teardrop shape for practicing uppercuts
- Light and cheap to ship
- Made in the USA
- 2-year warranty
The human body is 60%+ water, so hitting this water-filled punching bag feels a lot like hitting a person. It’s actually easier on your hands and joints than a traditional heavy bag, but the rubber exterior does “slap” your hands in a way that a leather bag will not. This bag is not really suitable for hitting without gloves or wraps.
- A real alternative to traditional heavy bags
- Unique feel when punching
- Easy to fill and hang
- Some users report that the bag leaks when hit, and may even burst
Because of the risk of leaks and bursting, this bag may not be the best choice for indoor use. After all, 100 lbs. of water is about 12 gallons, which will make a terrible mess if spilled all over your floor! But, for outdoor use, this option is an excellent alternative to a standard heavy bag, and, with cheaper shipping, ideal for online purchasing.
Everlast Punch Mitts
- Durable punching mitts from leading boxing gear maker Everlast
- Help boxers sharpen their technique
- Made of durable, premium synthetic polycanvas for long lasting durability and functionality
- Feature improved design to increase functionality by including full glove backing
Punch mitts, also called focus mitts, are an excellent alternative to a punching bag. Designed to be worn by a training partner, they provide you with a moving target to hit and even avoid if you are working on both offense and defense. On the downside, unlike a punching bag, you won’t be able to use this product on your own.
- Made from poly canvas for durability
- Anti-microbial treated for hygiene
- Glove design for easier putting on and taking off
- Striking target on each glove to improve accuracy
Focus mitts are a great way to work on your boxing skills with a partner but without resorting to sparring. Your partner moves their hands, and you try and hit them, often by putting punch combinations together. They’re not the best tool for building punching strength, but for speed and accuracy, they’re tough to beat.
- A fun way to work out
- Develop fitness, speed, and accuracy, all at the same time
- Not suitable for solo use
Providing you train with a partner, these punch mitts provide a cost-effective alternative to working out on a punchbag. Light and portable, they’re also easier to store than a heavy bag. However, without a partner, this product is all but unusable.
- 【Upgraded Adult Freestanding Punching Bag】Stands approx 70'' tall. Best gifts for adult or teens (47-73'' tall). it is helpful in body training and stress buster. Top quality and highly rated from beginners and professional boxers. You can exercise more during this special period when cannot go out.it also easy to set up at home office and get a great workout.
- 【Newest Shock Absorbing System】Dual Tpu absorbers + 4 springs provides rebound and reset quickly, 360° anti-shock and noise absorption. Tip: Springs can be removed for less vibration when you want to do intensive strength training.
- 【More Stable Floor Sucking Base】The thicken ABS round base is engineered for easy roll relocation. Also includes 12 strong suction cups beneath to stop heavy bag movement on smooth and even floors. It can handle your powerful kicks and punches. You can kick and punch with confidence! （Filled with sand can improve stability）
- 【Durable Kickboxing Bag】Multi-layer structure design with high-quality materials：Premium 2mm PU leather cover, eco-friendly fabric buffer, high-density EPE foam, and stainless steel tube stand for comfortable hit & resilient shock absorbency, fast rebound and tear-resistant ensures it stays durable for many workouts to come.
- 【2 boxes you will receive】Base and bag shipped separately due to large size. Another parcel arrives on the same day. If not, it will arrive within 1-2 days. Please wait patiently or Contact us. Our punching bag is not only great quality, but also we offer friendly customer service.
Freestanding punchbags are often more convenient to use than bags you need to hang. You can put them almost anywhere – no fittings or anchors required. However, freestanding bags sometimes lack stability and move across the floor during use. This bag from Kitopia has an added feature designed to make it more stable.
- PU coated leather outer shell
- High-density foam filling
- Strong, adjustable rebound springs
- Adjustable height
- The base can be filled with water, sand, or both
- Base fitted with 12 large suction cups for improved stability
Providing you use this bag on something like a sealed wooden floor, the suction cups should significantly increase stability. But, used on a more porous surface like concrete, this feature could actually decrease stability. Consider where you are going to use this bag before buying.
- Good weight
- Nice striking surface
- Suitable for beginners and intermediates
- Only suitable for use on sealed and smooth floors, and not concrete
This freestanding bag is ideal for beginner and intermediate exercisers, providing you have a good place to put it. On anything other than a smooth surface, this bag will probably move as the suction cups will not grip. But, for indoor use, this is a good product that should deliver an enjoyable, stress-relieving workout.
NUBARKO Punching Bag UNFILLED Set Kick Boxing Heavy MMA Training with Hanging Chain Muay Thai Martial Arts
- 【ADULT HANGING BOXING BAG】 The bag is empty, you can fill it up with sand, old useless cloth, cotton, sponge and more.The chain is packaged in the punching bag，The punch bag is used for boxing, MMA, Muay Thai and contact sport athletes alike to practice kicks, footwork and punches. Perfect for developing hand and foot technique and building nice body.
- 【BOLD METAL CHAIN 】We use the highest quality steel material and thicken the metal chain. The optimized weight is twice that of the unupgraded version on the market. It is more durable and provides you with a more stable and safe boxing experience.
- 【PREMIUM STITCH WORK】 The stitching is solid and delicate. Metal buckles can firmly connect the sandbag and metal chain. Zipper seal, convenient and safe. The metal chain is sturdy and heavy duty, can be hang on wall.
- 【MATERIAL】The heavy punching bag is made of good quality canvas cloth material, which is wear-resistant and durable for years of use. The PU patch on the middle is sleek enough to protect your hand from abrasion.Pls note：The inside of the punching bag can be filled with up to 44 pounds of filler, and overweight filler will cause the punching bag to burst.
- 【PLEASE NOTE】Kids should play under parent's guidance, and prepare a pair of boxing gloves for training,If you are not satisfied with our product you received, you can send emails to us at any time. We will reply you instantly and help you solve your problem.
The Nubarko set contains everything you need to start boxing, except for a pair of gloves. The bag is supplied unfilled, which makes it cheap to ship. But, using sand, rags, sawdust, rice, grains, or a combination of these things, you can have a fully-functional punching bag for very little money.
- Heavy-duty bag with zips for easy filling
- Double-stitched seams for durability
- Made from poly canvas
- Bag fitted with hanging chains
- Supplied with roof anchor and bolts
- Reinforced punching area in the middle of the bag
- Available in two colors – black and red
For the price, this set is hard to beat. Yes, you will need to fill it yourself, but that means you can customize the weight and firmness. Punchbag fillings are cheap, and you can even use things like old discarded blankets. If you want a high-quality set but don’t want to pay a premium price, this is the product for you.
- Great price
- Easy to fill
- Supplied with everything you need to get started
- The filling must be sourced separately
Providing you don’t mind buying an unfilled punching bag, this product is ideal for home use. Supplied with everything you need to hang it from a suitable ceiling or wall bracket, this budget-friendly product should last for years.
RDX Punch Bag
- 14 PIECE FILLED HEAVY PUNCH BAG can withstand pretty much anything you throw at it. Maya Hide Leather with twin layers makes our boxing bag durable and robust. Ideal for MMA, kickboxing, Muay Thai and more.
- MAYA HIDE LEATHER BAG GLOVES are ideal for practicing jabs and upper cuts knowing that the gel foam padding will protect your hands against heavy impacts.
- HG-STEEL CHAINS WITH CEILING HOOK are known for their outstanding holding strength, prime fixture stability and resistant to corrosion properties that make them extra sturdy.
- COMMERCIAL GRADE WALL BRACKET for Punch Bags is designed to sustain the heaviest loads. The Angular attachments on each side controls the movement of the bag.
- BAG SET OFFERS, 1 x Boxing mitts, 1 x Pair of Hand Wraps, 1 x Steel chains, 1 x Swivel, 1 x Jump rope, 1 x D-Shackle, 1 X ceiling hook, 1 x Hand Gripper, 1 x wall bracket, 2 x key rings, 1 x Maya Hide filled Punch bag. 4ft Pre-filled Punch bag, Approx. 18 - 20 KG (Maximum Filling Capacity 40-50 KG), 5ft Pre-filled Punch bag, Approx. 20 - 22 KG (Maximum Filling Capacity 50 - 60 KG).
Getting into boxing or MMA training can be expensive, especially if you are starting from scratch. This beginner’s kit from RDX contains everything you need to start doing combat workouts. All you need is to find somewhere to hang it!
- Filled punching bag – either four- or five-foot size
- Wall bracket and ceiling mount with hanging chains
- Bag gloves and hand wraps
- Jump rope
- Hand gripper
- Available in two colors – white or black
With the choice of a wall mount or a ceiling mount for your punch bag, you can hang this product almost anywhere. The bag itself is made from waterproof material, so it’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use. With a jump rope and hand gripper included, plus the bag mitts and hand wraps, you have everything you need to start training for boxing or MMA.
- All-in-one boxing/MMA training kit
- The bag can be hung indoors or outdoors
- Develop all aspects of your fitness
- A very comprehensive set, with over 12 individual components
- The punching bag is not very heavy, and some users describe it as “squishy”
This is a budget kit, and as such, the components are not the best quality. But you can always refill the bag, so the squishy issue can be easily remedied. If you are looking for a single solution for your boxing or MMA training needs, this set has everything you need to get started.
If you are going to hit a punching bag, especially a heavy bag, you’ll need a good pair of gloves. These gloves are genuine boxing gloves that can also be used for bag work. Available in a range of colors, these well-made gloves will protect your hands no matter how hard you hit your punching bag.
- Four-layer leather construction for durability
- Twin Velcro closure for a secure fit while still being easy to put on and take off
- Anti-microbial lining
- Perforated palms for ventilation and keeping cool
- Microfiber thumb for wiping sweat away from eyes
- Available in 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 oz. sizes
- 11 colors
These boxing gloves are suitable for bag work and sparring. The 10-12 oz. versions are best for using on a punchbag, whereas the heavier gloves are better suited to sparring. Easy to put on and take off, these gloves should provide years of hand protection. And they look pretty cool too!
- Very well made
- Suitable for most types for boxing and MMA training
- Great range of colors and weights
- Lots of wrist support and impact protection
- Maybe overkill for bag work
These are “real” boxing gloves and maybe too good for punching bag training. That doesn’t mean they can’t be used for this purpose. It’s just that bag mitts are usually much lighter, cheaper, and less well padded. But, if you want the ultimate in hand protection, these gloves are an excellent choice.
Hayabusa T3 Boxing Gloves
- A REVOLUTIONIZED TRAINING GLOVE: You need a glove that checks all of the boxes, from protection and comfort to durability and fit. T3 Boxing Gloves do just that, with a decade of sports science & research to back it up. This modern training glove offers world-renowned protection with patented technology of a new era.
- BUILT FOR COMFORT WITH A TAILORED FIT: Interior fabric feels smooth and cool on your hands and helps to regulate your hand temperature. Two interlocking velcro wrist straps adjust to fit your hands perfectly for Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Kickboxing, and Muay Thai.
- WORLD RENOWNED WRIST SUPPORT: Dual wrist straps and splinting system work together to keep your wrists aligned with each punch. It locks your wrists in place when you strap up, preventing risky and damaging bends.
- ULTIMATE KNUCKLE PROTECTION: Premium foam technology absorbs impacts, dispersing energy for unparalleled knuckle protection during training or sparring.
- COLORS THAT SHOW YOUR STYLE: Black, Black/Gold, Black/Iridescent, Black/Red, Charcoal/Black, Charcoal/Lime, Navy/Yellow, Purple/Black, Red/Black, White/Gold, White/Grey, White/Iridescent, White/Pink, White/Teal Sizes:10 oz, 12 oz, 14 oz, 16 oz & 18 oz
Most punching bag mitts are light and thin. That’s fine if you are tapping your bag lightly, but not so good if you are hitting it with any degree of power. If you are hitting hard, you may need more hand protection. These full-sized Muay Thai-style sparring gloves are ideal for hard punch bag workouts.
- 100% leather construction
- Velcro wrist closure to make them easy to put on and take off
- Handmade in Thailand
- Available in 28 colors
- 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 oz. sizes
- Genuine Fairtex Muay Thai gloves
Fairtex is a famous Thai boxing equipment manufacture in Thailand. These gloves are genuine Fairtex gloves, which means they are a part of martial arts history. The lighter models, up to 12 oz., are ideal for bag work, while the heavier ones are better suited to sparring.
- Supple but hardwearing
- Great choice of colors and sizes
- Excellent wrist support
- Very well padded
Only heavy hitters need the protection offered by these Fairtex Thai boxing gloves but, if you want to wear a little piece of Muay Thai history on your hands, these gloves are the ones for you. Don’t bother with the more expensive 14, 16, and 18 oz. gloves. For bag work, the lighter ones are perfectly acceptable, and they’re cheaper too!
Whether you want to step into the ring and test your mettle, or train like a fighter to get fitter and leaner than ever before, you’re going to need a punching bag. While you could just do jump rope and shadow box, where’s the fun in that? Sometimes, it’s nice to just hit something!
If you want something you can punch and kick will full force, a heavy bag is probably best. Hang it from a ceiling mount or wall bracket but, before you do, make sure that your ceiling or wall is strong enough.
If you’re more of a fitness puncher, a freestanding punch bag maybe batter. They’re easier and more forgiving on your hands and require no installation. You will need to fill the base with sand or water to make them stable, though.
Whichever you choose, always remember the cardinal rule of punching – NEVER tuck your thumb inside your fist. Doing so could mean the first punch you throw will also be your last!
Visit the Fitness Equipment Reviews homepage for more expert product reviews!
Choosing the best punching bag for your training regime is easy with our detailed reviews and ratings.