Top-10 Pull Up Bars
Pull-ups and chin-ups are two of the best upper body exercises you can do. Ideal for strengthening your biceps and upper back, they also work your abs and forearms too.
Pull-ups and chin-ups are popular gym exercises but that doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym to do them. All you need is a chin-up bar and possibly some gloves.
Deciding on the best pull up bar is not easy – there are so many different models to choose from. Some are designed to screw into a doorframe while others go over the top of a door or doorway. Some pull up bars are entirely freestanding.
Which pull-up bar is right for you? It all depends on your training goals, budget, and where you want to do your workout. The one thing for sure is that, if you have an indoor pull-up bar, you have everything you need to build a stronger back and arms in the comfort and convenience of your own home.
Best Pull Up Bars
Garren Fitness Maximiza
- Build Upperbody Strength- This pull up bar for doorway use will strengthen and tone your back, arms, shoulders and abs muscles for the perfect upperbody workout for men and women
- Safe and Secure - Heavy-duty chrome steel doorway pull up bar and door mounts provide great support and safety. Note: Always install and use the supplied screw-in door brackets (comes with 2 sets of heavy-duty and 1 set of medium-duty door mounts)
- Versatile Uses - Get fit and strong by using the door bar for many exercises including pull-ups, chin-ups, hanging leg raises, push ups, dips, situps and crunches. It's truly a multi function piece of at home workout equipment
- Comfortable Hand-Grips - Non-slip extra-long foam grips for extra comfort to minimize hand pain or fatigue
- Use in Different Locations - Multiple screw-in door mount kits give flexibility to move to different places or heights. Adjusts to fit standard door ways between 26 and 39 inches. It's perfect for your home, garage, gym or the office
Pullup bars don’t come much simpler or easier to install as this best doorway pull up bar by Garren Fitness. With three sets of door mounts, you can move this bar from room to room for more workout flexibility.
- Strong, thick bar
- 2 heavy-duty door mounts with 300 lbs. capacity
- 1 medium-duty door mount with 150 lbs. capacity
- Adjustable for doorways between 26 and 39 inches wide
- Padded, non-slip grip hand grips
Most doorway pull-up bars are designed to be installed and then left in place. The Garren Fitness Maximiza Pull Up Bar is supplied with three different sets of mounts so that you can set it up and move it to three different locations. Alternatively, you can put all three mounts in the same doorway so you can adjust the height of your bar for different exercises or users.
- Easy to install and move
- Suitable for users up to 300 lbs.
- Comfortable, non-slip grip
- Fits most doorways
- Can be used with an underhand or overhand grip
- Mounts must be screwed into a doorframe
- No option for neutral/parallel grip
- Clearance limited by the height of the doorway
The Garren Fitness Maximiza is a no-frills pullup bar that is ideal for home use. Budget-friendly and easy to install, if all you want to do is pull-ups and chin-ups, this product could be just what you are looking for.
Stamina Door Gyms
- Multiple (five) grip positions allow you to build and tone upper body muscles
- Professional quality, heavy duty training tool supports up to 250 pounds, Sturdy steel construction
- Comes with thick padding and non-slip comfort grips, Simple assembly, portable, and attaches and removes easily from the doorframe
- Fits standard doorways, Excellent for pull ups, triceps dips, push ups, and sit ups
- Requires sturdy doorframe with trim, Assembled Dimensions: 37" x 16" x 11"
The Stamina Door Gym is an over the door pull up bar that allows you to do several different bodyweight exercises, including dips, push-ups, sit-ups, and pull ups. It requires no screws to hold it in place, making it ideal for users who don’t want to put holes in their doorframes.
- Quick and easy to install and move
- Five different hand grip positions
- Padded, non-slip grips
- 250 lbs. weight capacity
Light and simple to use, the Stamina Door Gym uses your own body weight to hold it in place. This does require a sturdy doorframe so you should take care when deciding where to use this product. Because it is so easy to fit and remove, you can take it down when not using it.
The design also means it can be used for a range of additional exercises, and when placed on the floor is perfect for push-ups, triceps dips, and sit-ups.
- Easy to set up and use
- Provides several different hand position options
- Light, compact design
- Can be removed and stored when not in use
- Fits most standard doorways
- Very budget-friendly
- Requires a strong doorway
- Weight capacity only 250 lbs.
- Bars are quite thin
If you want to do more than pull ups, the Stamina Door Gym could be just what you are looking for. Compact and lightweight, this is not the strongest pull-up bar on the market, but it will certainly stand light or moderate use. At the price, this is one of the options available.
Ultimate Body-Press XL
7 used from $21.74
- GET OUT OF THE DOORWAY: Effectively build muscle across the chest, arms, back, and core with pull-ups, push-ups, dips, and sit ups. Elevated Bar sets 1” above trim and 10” from wall to fully leverage your doorway opening for full range of motion
- BUILT FOR REAL WORKOUTS: Premium heavy steel tubing supports up to 300 pounds. Exclusive ABS couplers secure a true, tight, and rigid frame. High density foam grips reduce strain for better workouts. Quickly switch between doorway and floor exercises
- EASY INSTALLATION: Bar installs in seconds with no drilling. Fits residential doorways 6 inches deep when measured from trim face to trim face. Expandable bar ends fit doorways 24" to 36" wide with molding up to 3.5" wide
- IDEAL ANCHOR FOR OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES: Build a full body gym with Ultimate Body Press Ab Straps and Gymnastic Rings for highly metabolic full body workouts and assisted pull up variations. (accessories sold separately)
- DESIGNED IN THE USA: Ultimate Body Press is a North Carolina company committed to delivering better workouts every day. Includes Prime eligible shipping, 30 day returns, and USA customer service
The Ultimate Body-Press XL is a sturdy over the door pull-up bar with many useful features. It’s strong, versatile, and suitable for advanced exercisers.
- 300 lbs. weight capacity
- Easy to install
- Secure fitting
- No screws required
- Multiple padded, non-slip hand placement options
The Ultimate Body-Press XL lives up to its name. This strong and sturdy doorway pull-up bar is built for serious exercisers looking to do more than just a few chin-ups. With this device, you can train all your upper body muscles as well as your abs in the comfort of your own home.
- Will not damage the doorframe or wall
- Suitable for most standard doorways
- Delivers an effective upper body and abs workout
- Easy to assemble and store
- Thick tubing for comfort and strength
- Can be used with abs straps, suspension trainers, and other accessories
- More expensive than similar products
- Requires a strong doorway
More than just a pull-up bar, the Ultimate Body-Press XL is the ideal home workout solution for anyone who wants to build an upper body to be proud of. It’s strong, easy to use, and should last a lifetime. That quality does come at a price but, even then, it’s still cheaper than a month’s gym membership.
19 used from $12.85
- Portable gym that can be used as a doorway pull up bar or turned over to perform sit-ups, pushups, and dips; 300-pound weight capacity
- Wide grip curved ergonomic handles offer three grip options for wide, close, and hammer grip pull-ups; padded handles ensure comfort for sit-ups, pushups, and dips
- Turn over and place on the floor for sit-ups, pushups and dips; padded handles ensure correct form, and provide comfort
- Patented door frame guard and two-way adjustable design; fits door frames up to 33 inches wide and up to 6 inches deep
- Assembled dimensions: 15 x 38 x 14 inches, weight: 6.2 pounds; manufacturer's one-year warranty
The Perfect Fitness is light and compact and suitable for most doorways. Easy to install and use, this doorway pull-up bar also allows you to do push-ups, sit-ups, and triceps dips.
- No screws required
- Offers wide grip pull-up option for better back development
- Three-hand positions for pull ups – wide, narrow, and neutral
- 300 lbs. weight capacity
- Light, compact design
Most pull-up bars offer a range of hand positions, but they usually don’t have a wide-grip option. Wide grip pull-ups are hard, but that’s what makes them so effective. If you want to take them to the next level, this pull-up bar is for you.
- Light and portable
- Easy to install and use
- Will not damage doorframes and requires no drilling or screws
- Can be used with abs straps and other accessories
- Some self-assembly required
- Tubes/handles may be too thin for some users
Light and compact, the Perfect Fitness is a versatile home gym option for exercisers on a budget. The small-diameter tubes may not be ideal for users with big hands, but for most users, this is one of the best doorway pull up bar choices for the price.
- Ergonomic angled end to help protect wirst, ideal for latissimus. The length of the upper bar is firstly shortened to 39.17 inch from 47.24 inch, making it perfect for shoulder width pull ups.
- The form grip on the upper bar is divided into four small ones; with the angled grip ends, they together offer a wide range of different grip options: shoulder width grip or a close grip. SUSPENSION STRPAS are included for maximum versatility in your workouts.
- Preimum silicone door protectors can prevent damage to your door frame. The bar leaves no mark on your frame. Multiple foldable design make is a best space saver, you can store it in few seconds after a convenient training.
- The distance bewteen the two "hook " is cut down to 22.83", making it almost fit all doors, even doors in the corner. Fits a door width of 22.83" - 36.22"(58-92 cm) and depth of 8.27"(21 cm); Acceptable trim height up to 3.54"(9 cm). It holds up to 400 lbs (200kg).
- Though great efforts are made to let it fits all doorways(the distance between two "hooks " shorted to fit some narrower doors; the upper bar also cut short to fit doors in the corner around walls), we always offer 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE for some special doorways that still don't fit. So buy it at ease now!
A lot of pull-up bars are good for one exercise – pull-ups. The Iron Age is much more versatile than that and can be used for a wide range of upper body and even lower body exercises.
- Angled handles for comfort
- Built-in center anchor for attaching accessories
- Supplied with suspension trainer straps
- Easy to install and move
- 400 lbs. capacity
- Folds flat for easy storage
If you want to do more than just pull-ups, the Iron Age is a great choice. By adding suspension trainer straps (supplied) you can do almost any exercise you would normally do in the gym, including several leg exercises. Like all good over the doorway pull-up bars, this one can also be used for push-ups, dips, and sit-ups too.
- Very versatile
- Non-slip, padded grips for comfort
- Suitable for users up to 400 lbs.
- Narrow door hooks so it will fit more doorways – even smaller than average
- Price – a little more expensive than a standard doorway pull-up bar
If you want to work out but don’t want to go to the gym, the Iron Age could be the answer to your prayers. More versatile than most doorway pull-up bars, this is a compact do-it-all at home workout station really is a viable alternative to an expensive gym membership.
5 used from $9.81
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL – 12 comfortable grips & various handles allow you to perform wide, hammer, close-grip exercises
- UPPER BODY STRENGTH - Strengthen entire upper body and abs with pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, dips, and leg raises; Material: Steel; Foam/PVC grips
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE & INSTALL – Slip-in design fits standard doorways (24” to 36”). Includes 2 optional foam covers for outer handles to protect doorframes
- AT-HOME WORKOUT - Portable design makes it easy to squeeze in workouts and stay fit at home; Exercise guide included
- DURABLE STEEL - Made of high grade steel & built to last, it holds up to 300 lb.
Some doorway pull-up bars lock you into just a couple of hand positions. The ProsourceFit offers 12 different grips to make your workouts more varied, comfortable, and interesting.
- Multifunctional 12-position handles
- Padded, non-slip grips
- 300 lbs. capacity
- Easy to assemble, fit, and move
The ProsourceFit is a budget-friendly home workout solution that is ideal for beginner and intermediate exercisers. The multi-position handles mean that you should have no problem finding the best place to put your hands for the comfortable performance of pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups.
- Lots of hand position options
- Light and easy to use
- Will not damage doorframes
- Easy to remove and store when not in use
- Tubing may be too thin for some users, especially those with large hands
While you might not use all 12 handle options, it’s nice to have the choice of so many different options available. If you are looking for a budget-friendly way to do pull-ups at home, this doorway gym is a good choice.
Ikonfitness Ultimate 4 in 1
- [NO TOOLS REQUIRED] No additional tools, screws, or bolts required. Doorway trainer can be assembled and ready for training in minutes
- [4-in-1 TRAINER] Combines latest generation pull-up bar design with dip station and suspension straps (included) to allow you to achieve an intense full-body workout in virtually any doorway from pull-ups to dips, back rows, mountain climbers, and more.
- [SAFE & STURDY] Heavy duty steel construction able to withstand a maximum load of 440 lb (200 kg), with fully adjustable padding to prevent damage to doorframe and large padded hooks to minimize contact with doorway.
- [WIDE & HIGH] With ergonomic, non-slip foam grips, elevated bar sits a full 8” higher than any doorway trainer. Fits extra wide doorframes with a width of 27.56” - 36.22” (70 - 92 cm).
- [STORES ANYWHERE] Pull-up bar folds flat for quick and easy storage, and pull rods can easily disassemble and fold into small storage spaces.
While most doorway pull-up bars allow you to do push-ups and triceps dips, none of them allow you to full parallel bar dips. That’s a shame because, as chest and triceps exercises go, parallel bar dips are hard to beat. However, the Ikonfitness Ultimate 4 in 1 does have this facility which means it’s a real alternative to hitting the gym.
- Includes parallel dip attachment
- 400 lbs. capacity
- Use to perform pull-ups, dips, push-ups, and many others
- Supplied with suspension trainer straps
- Quick and easy to assemble, install, remove, and store
As home gyms go, the Ikonfitness Ultimate 4 in 1 Doorway Trainer is probably the most versatile. With the supplied dip station and suspension straps, there really aren’t many exercises you can’t do with this product. Suitable even for the heaviest of users, this is a strong and study doorway gym suitable for intense workouts.
- Use to exercise every muscle
- Large doorway hooks for security and less risk of damage to doorframe
- Can be used with a range of accessories, including abs straps
- Suitable for intense workouts and heavy use
- No screws or drilling required
- No neutral/parallel grip option for pull-ups
- Larger than most doorway pull-up bars
- Requires some self-assembly
Probably the most versatile doorway pull-up station around, armed with nothing more than the Ikonfitness Ultimate 4 in 1, you should have no problem training every muscle in your body. No neutral grip pull-up option is a drawback, but it’s such a small one that it’s barely worth considering.
- All-Purpose Workout System – A doorframe pull-up bar doorway, dip bar, pushup bar, and sit up support, you can get serious home workouts in that build core strength, lean muscle, tight and toned abs, and more!
- Cushioned, Non-Slip Handles Power Tower Exercise Equipment – Our doorway pull up bar features slip-resistant foam grips to give you more control over your pulls, hangs, and exercises and to ensure stability and comfort during movements.
- Strong, Heavy-Duty Frame Machine Gym – Able to support up to 300 total pounds, this workout bar is perfect for doing pull ups or chin ups, hanging leg raises, and core-building exercises with strong, reliable support.
- No Installation Necessary – The wide, well-balanced frame can fit in almost any standard-sized 32” door frame and uses leverage to hold firmly in place. It can also be used on a bedroom, garage, or laundry room door for portable convenience.
- Includes Resistance Bands Set – We’ve also included five color-coded resistance bands, each with their own progressive resistance level, to help improve your strength, flexibility, and mobility while expanding personal workouts.
The ZinFit is a fairly standard example of this type of workout device. What separates it from many others is the addition of a set of resistance bands and abs slings so you can have a more complete workout in the comfort of your own home.
- Cushioned, non-slip handles
- Strong, heavy-duty steel frame
- 300 lbs. capacity
- Can be used for pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, dips, and abs exercises
- No screws required
Each ZinFit Total Body System Pull Up Bar for Doorway comes with a set of five color-coded resistance bands with which you can train and tone any muscles not used during pull-ups and push-ups. The abs sling also make exercises like hanging leg raises easier and more comfortable to perform.
- Large selection of applications can be performed with the additional resistance bands
- Easy to install, use, move, and store
- Suitable for most doorways
- Will not damage doorframe
- Chin-up/pull-up bar is straight so limited handgrip options
- Does not fold flat for easier storage
The ZinFit is a very standard doorway pull-up bar, but the bands and abs slings make it much more versatile. If you are serious about pull-ups, this doorway pull-up bar may leave something to be desired, but if you want to combine bodyweight exercises with resistance band exercises, the ZinFit Total Body System Pull Up Bar for Doorway is a good home gym package.
- EXERCISE: The GoFit Elevated Chin Up Station allows you to perform multiple exercises either in a doorframe or on a floor, making it the complete system!
- MULTI USE: Skip the gym and perform chin ups or pull ups at home or work with GoFit’s Elevated Chin Up Station! Perform sit ups, pushups, and dips when mounted low or placed on the floor.
- DURABLE: Constructed of molded steel and painted with durable enamel, the GoFit Elevated Chin Up Station is built to last. The three foam handle grips help secure a tight hold while exercising.
- PORTABLE: Using only leverage and gravity to stand strong, the GoFit Elevated Chin Up Station can be easily mounted and removed with no screws or other tools necessary!
- INSTALLATION: Mount GoFit’s Elevated Chin Up Station in most standard-sized doorways measuring 32” to 34” with 2”-6” moldings and at least 1/2 “ depth. The padded tubing helps protect your doorframe.
With its tubular construction and clever design, the GoFit is light and versatile and allows you to work all of your major upper body muscles in the comfort of your own home.
- Padded, non-slip handles with three grip options
- Can be used for pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups
- Built-in eyelets for attaching accessories such as resistance bands and abs slings
- Enameled framework for durability
The built-in eyelets mean that the GoFit No Screw Chin Up Station Elevated, Multi-Use Fitness System is more versatile than many other similar products. It makes adding and using things like resistance bands, suspension trainer straps, and abs slings much easier so you can train more than just your upper body.
- Do wide, narrow, and parallel grip pull-ups
- Angled bar for pull-up comfort
- Use on the floor for push-ups, sit-ups, and triceps dips
- Provides an effective at-home upper body workout
- Requires no screws or drilling
- Suitable for most standard-sized doorways
- Does not fold flat for storage
- Requires some assembly
Light, strong, and versatile, the GoFit is a good home workout option for anyone who does not want to join a gym. It’s quite big and bulky and doesn’t fold flat for easy storage, but apart from that, this doorway gym is light and easy to install and use.
2 used from $44.61
- NEW IMPROVEMENTS FOR 2019: Target more muscles with four fully padded grip positions - Parallel | Narrow | Standard | Wide. Exclusive lowered parallel grips improve range of motion so you can focus on form and repetition.
- PREMIUM FEATURES: Heavy-duty joist mounted pull up bar with parallel grips, mounting hardware and complete instructions. Thick welded steel construction is commercial-strength with premium high density foam pads over knurled steel grips.
- TOTAL COMPATIBILITY: Joist mounting gets your workout space away from the wall and your installation is easy with Instructions, template, and all hardware provided including thru-bolts and lag bolts for compatibility with thicker beams.
- THE ULTIMATE UPGRADE: Ultra stable and always ready, a mounted pull up bar is the ultimate upgrade from a doorway bar. 14” risers, 21” wide parallel grips, and a 42” wide bar define a generous workout space for your home gym.
- ANCHOR ACCESSORIES: Optional accessories like Ab Straps and Bodyweight Resistance Trainers turn your pull up bar into a full body gym and let you complete full sets of pull ups, dips, squats, and more with assisted exercise variations. (sold separately)
Unlike doorway pull-up bars, the Ultimate Body Press Joist Mount is not portable or designed to be taken down easily. Instead, once installed, it provides a strong and stable place to do pull-ups and chin-ups.
- Three padded, non-slip grips – narrow, wide, and parallel
- Heavy-duty construction
- 10-year warranty
- Very strong, stable design
If you work out in a garage or basement, doorway pull-up bars you may not have anywhere to put a doorway pull-up bar. But if you have a suitable overhead joist, this install-and-forget Ultimate Body Press Joist Mount Pull Up Bar could be a good solution. As well as being perfect for pull-ups and chin-ups, this strong overhead bar can also be used as an anchor for suspension trainers and abs slings.
- Permanent mounting
- Very strong
- More stable than doorway pull-up bars
- Suitable for home and light commercial use
- Requires a suitable overhead joist
- Once installed, not easy to move
- Height is dependent on the joist available
- Requires drilling into the joist
If you want a more permanent pull-up station, the Ultimate Body Press Joist Mount could be a good option. You won’t be able to move it once it’s installed, and you can’t use it for things like push-ups and dips. But, if you are serious about pull-ups and chin-ups, this could be the solution you are looking for.
Pull-ups and chin-ups are two of the best upper body exercises you can do. Of course, both require that you can lift your own body weight using just your arms which is quite a feat of strength.
With both these exercises, the best way to get better at them is to do them often. They take time and regular practice to master. Doing them once a week at the gym won’t cut it. Having a pull-up bar at home means you can do a few pull-ups every day, and if you do that, you’ll soon find your performance improves.
Any pull-up bar will work, but doorway pull-up bars are best for most users. Some doorway pull-ups bars are so versatile that they allow you to work not just your upper body but your legs too. With a device like this in your home, you don’t even need to join a gym to get fit.
Which type of pull-up bar is best for you? Consider things like strength, functionality, and ease of installation before buying. Screw-in doorway pull-up bars are simple and cheap, but they don’t allow you to do things like push-ups and dips. They do tend to be strong and stable though.
Over the door pull-up bars require no screws or holes to hold them in place, and you can use them for various additional exercises, but their lightness and portability can mean they aren’t suitable for heavy use.
At the end of the day, you should choose the pull-up bar you are most likely to use regularly. After all, if you don’t practice your pull-ups and chin-ups, you won’t get better at them!
Head over to the Fitness Equipment Reviews homepage for more reviews & guides!
Choosing the best pull up bar can be a somewhat challenging task! Here are the top 10 options for any and all possible situations.