Looking for a set of dumbbells to enhance your home workout routine? With a set of dumbbells you have the power to workout whenever suits you from the convenience of your own home.
Not only this but investing in a set of quality dumbbells means you save money on expensive gym memberships that can go unused as well as transportation time.
If you are already familiar with the dumbbell weights you use then if you are budget restricted you can always begin by purchasing just a couple of weights. As your strength builds you can add to your collection.
In saying that there are many cheap dumbbells that offer great value, you don’t have to spend a small fortune on these things!
In the following post I will share the best dumbbells as well as a buyer guide with key information to know before buying a set.
Main Types of Dumbbells
There are two types of dumbbells to choose from and they are fixed dumbbells and adjustable dumbbells.
These are they types of dumbbells you will see in the gym. They are an unchangeable weight and are stored on a weight rack. These are a good option if you know exactly what weights you need and only need a few. You can always add to your collection as your grow stronger and buy them one by one.
Not as space saving as adjustable dumbbells but they are a good option if you only need specific weights or are budget restricted.
In terms of value, these are the most popular dumbbells.
These work by adding or removing weight plates that are included from the bar. To hold them in place there is a metal or plastic screw at the end.
These are the most convenient models and can be used from day one of your workout all the way through as you can keep adding weight to them.
Saving not only money but also on space which is important if your home workout area is limited.
Best Dumbbells for Home Gyms
Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells
$249.98 in stock
5 used from $ 232.48
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- Combines 15 sets of weights into one, using a unique dial system
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells cluttering your workout space
- Two year warranty on weight plates and parts
Bowflex are leaders in home gym equipment and the SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells are a high quality set.
Available on their own or with a stand this set is a pair of dumbbells that can be adjusted from 5 pounds to 52.5 pounds. Adjustable in increments of 2.5 pounds to the first 25 pounds.
This set is easy to adjust which is great for speed of changing weights between exercises and sets. Simply turn the dial on the dumbbells and the weights are adjusted, no need to unscrew, take off weight plates and re-screw.
The wide range of weights means you can do a wide range of exercises such as curls and raises all the way through to shrugs and lunges. In addition, you can download the free Bowflex SelectTech App for a range of trainer lead workouts, to create custom workouts and to journal you workouts.
The durable molding surrounding the metal plates makes for a very smooth lift off as well as noise free workouts.
- No need to fumble around with adjusting weight plates
- Compact and convenient
- Look and feel like regular dumbbells
- Covers a wide weight range
- 2 year warranty
Power Block Adjustable SpeedBlock Dumbbell
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Pair of adjustable dumbbell weights for efficient, cost-effective strength training
- Adjusts from 3 to 24 pounds in 3-pound increments (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 pounds)
- Selector pin lets you change weights easily, just like with weight stack at the gym
- More compact and balanced than traditional dumbbells; padded handle for wrist protection
A unique looking design the Power Block GF-SPDBLK24 Adjustable SpeedBlock Dumbbell is designed to be a space saving set with maximum weight potential.
This is a 24 pound set that ranges from 3-24 pounds increasing in 3 pound increments. With rubberized handles the power blocks are comfortable to use and offer a secure, stable grip.
Speed designed, these adjustable dumbbells are changed with a pin, similar to a weight stack at a gym.
A little more expensive than a standard dumbbell system yet cheaper than the premium sets, this is a speed efficient pair that is high quality.
This set is designed to last and is backed by a limited 10 year warranty which speaks volumes for the quality you can expect.
Compact and engineered for maximum balance and control all of your strength training goals can be met with this convenient set.
- Quick and easy to adjust the weight
- Comfortable grip
- 24 pound set
Although the Power Block GF-SPDBLK24 Adjustable SpeedBlock Dumbbell looks different this is a well designed set that is designed to last. With the ability to adjust the weight quickly, the handles make for easy use. Versatile and suitable for beginners to serious lifters this set is hard to overlook.
Ironmaster Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System
- Quick-Lock design adjusts from 5-45 lbs in 2 1/2 lb increments in just seconds!
- Super heavy duty construction with welded steel, chrome plated handles.
- System includes two dumbbells with weight plates.
- No plastic or fragile parts to break.
- Limited lifetime warranty
The Ironmaster Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System are a square design making it impossible for them to roll around on the floor.
A solid, well made set these dumbbells can be adjusted from 5 pounds to 45 pounds in 2.5 pound increments.
The handles weigh 5 pounds when empty and each locking screw has a weight of 2.5 pounds so your starting weight is 10 pounds without any dumbbell plates.
Dimensions are 6.5″ x 6.5″ x 11.5″ but you may want to consider purchasing a stand when buying this set.
Heavy duty construction these dumbbells are steel welded with chrome plated handles meaning there are no fragile or breakable parts. Throw them around your yard – these dumbbells can withstand just about anything.
The locking system is a nut that is thin yet secure. Simply load the weight plates and secure the nut with a couple of twists. This is significantly faster than with a spinning collar and it remains in place throughout the use.
- Virtually indestructible
- Solid, welded construction
- Easy lock mechanism
- Square plates
- Adjustable in 2.5 pound increments to 45 pounds
The Ironmaster Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System are an indestructible, solid dumbbell set that although expensive will last a lifetime. The unique design of the plates being square make them ideal for ease of storage and safety during use.
Adjustable Cast Iron Dumbbells
$104.99 in stock
- SET OF 2 DUMBBELLS - 105 LBS TOTAL (52.5 LBS EACH SIDE): TWO 16"x1.15" handles, SIXTEEN 5-pound plates, FOUR 2.5-pound plates, FOUR 1.25-pound plates, FOUR collars handles, shipped in two packages.
- CAST IRON WEIGHT PLATES FIT 1.15-INCH STANDARD BAR: Accommodate all standard 1.15-inch handles. Durable cast iron plates covered with black paint finish preventing rust and corrosion for lifetime use
- 16-INCH DIAMOND KNURLED CHROME HANDLE: Constructed of high-quality, textured chrome handle for secure, firm, and non-slip grip
- STAR-LOCK COLLARS WITH LOOSE-RESISTANT RUBBER TRIMS: Threaded ends with star-lock collars provide a safe, secure workout & easy weight plate changes
- EASY USE & STORAGE: Take seconds to assemble and take out. Compact, convenient, and easy to use and store. All-for-one dumbbells eliminate the need for multiple dumbbells in your workout space. Suitable for performing basic toning body workouts, core fitness, strength exercises and heavy leg lifts
For the heavy lifters out there the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells can be bought from 40 pounds right up to 200 pounds.
A set of 2 dumbbells the weight plates are made from cast iron and come with a standard 1.15 inch bar. The weight plates are finished with a black pain that prevents rust and corrosion.
Adjusted and locked into place with star lock collars these have rubber trims to prevent them loosening off when in use.
With a 16 inch diamond knurled chrome handle this is a high quality, firm and non-slip grip.
There are a few buying options for this set in terms of weight ranges including:
- 40 pounds – standard bar diameter of 1 inch
- 50 pounds – standard bar diameter of 1 inch
- 60 pounds – standard bar diameter of 1 inch
As well as:
- 52.5 pounds – bar diameter 1.15 inches
- 105 pounds – bar diameter 1.15 inches
- 200 pounds – bar diameter 1.15 inches
These dumbbells are suitable for use from the complete beginner to the monster trainer and everything in between.
- Huge range of weight
- Easy to use and adjust
- Solid construction
- Textured grip
- The chrome plates prone to chipping
Easy to store and easy to use, these are compact and convenient. Included with the purchase of the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells is a 60 day return and 5 year warranty on plates and parts.
CAP Barbell Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case
2 used from $ 47.42
- 40 pound set includes two handles, four 2.5-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, 4 collars, and a plastic storage case
- Set features ergonomic grips, comfort handles, and rubber trim collars
- Durable cast iron plates have a semi-gloss finish
- Collars are threaded for a secure fit to handles
- Rust and maintenance-free
A very cheap dumbbell that still presents great value is the CAP 40 pound Adjustable Dumbbell set. Ideal for beginners to working out who want room to adjust as they grow in strength.
The set is two dumbbells with handles weighing 5 pounds, four 2.5 pound plates and four 5 pound plates for ease of adjusting.
Made from cast iron the weight plates are sturdy and durable. Threaded collars are used to lock and secure the weight plates in position.
At the price, these are very affordable, cheap dumbbells that are a great way to kick start your lifting and fitness goals.
Included with the purchase is an easy to access carry case made from heavy duty plastic. This case has a storage spot for each piece and a secure lid to conceal and secure them.
The two barbells offer knurled grips to ensure a stable and secure hold when using. Suitable for bare hands you may still want to use gloves if you haven’t lifted before.
- Easy to use
- Easy to store
- Convenient storage and travel case included
- Not a large weight range
Overall the CAP 40 pound Adjustable Dumbbell set is an excellent entry level dumbbell set that is affordable yet will do the job.
- Gym quality chromed/spray painted cast iron
- Set up or dismount by hand easily
- Can be set up in increment of 5 lbs (adjustable from 5 lbs to 52.5/100 lbs each dumbbell)
- Optional safety trays for indoor use
- Starring patented sporting equipments
Ringstar Adjustable Dumbbells are a very popular, quality and affordable adjustable dumbbell set. Available as a 105 pound or 200 pound set these are a gym quality chrome painted, cast iron set.
Available to adjust the weight in increments of 5 pounds to 52.5/100 pounds for each dumbbell, finding the ideal weight for you workout needs is easy.
When purchasing this set there is also the option for safety trays which are highly recommended for indoor use. Not only as a safety mechanism but also for protecting the floor of your workout space.
Storing these dumbbells is easy to do and a star collar is used to secure the weight plates to the barbell.
- 100 or 200 pound dumbbells
- Convenient storage tray option
- Durable and built to last
- Chrome or black polish finish
In terms of value for money it is hard to find dumbbells within this weight range for a better price than the Ringstar Adjustable Dumbbells.
CAP Barbell Fitness Urethane Covered Dumbbell
$39.98 in stock
- Made of solid cast iron with a protective black urethane coating.
- Polyurethane infused gripping surface and chrome accents on the handles.
- No odor or greasy feel
- Hexagon shaped dumbbell heads are designed to prevent rolling, as well as provide easier storage.
- Sold as each.
For single weight dumbbells the CAP Urethane Dumbbell is a good choice. Comfortable to grip the hexagonal design makes for easy storage and safety while in use.
Made from solid cast iron these dumbbells have a protective coating of urethane which means they are designed to last! The barbell has a polyurethane infused gripping surface making it comfortable to grip and use. No need for weight lifiting gloves.
Available to buy as a 5 pound, 8 pound, 10 pound and in increments of 5 pounds all the way to 50 pounds.
The price is for a single dumbbell so bear in mind you will need to buy 2 if you want to work out muscles simultaneously.
- Urethane coating for durability
- Comfortable grip on the barbell
- Non slip design
- Range of weights available
- Price is for a single dumbbell
- Fixed weight
Highly rated, the CAP Urethane Dumbbell fixed dumbbells present excellent value for money. If you are budget restricted or looking for a cheap dumbbell then these are a great place to start. You can always add to the collection as your strength grows and you need to increase the weight.
AmazonBasics Dumbbell Set with Stand
$36.99 in stock
5 used from $ 27.74
- 32 pound dumbbell set with stand, including one pair of 3, 5, and 8 pound weights
- Easy-grip neoprene coating for a secure hold
- Printed weight number on each end cap and color-coded for quick identification
- Hexagonal shape prevents dumbbells from rolling away
- Ideal for fitness classes or at-home workout routines; backed by an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
The Neoprene Amazon Basics Dumbbell Set is a complete dumbbell set for those wanting light weights to kick start their home workouts.
Incredibly popular and high quality this set of dumbbells is cheap and effective. The 32 pound set includes the stand, one pair of 3 pound weights, 5 pound weights and 8 pound weights.
Color coded and marked with their weight number makes for ease of use and speed during your workout.
The hexagonal shape prevents the dumbbells from rolling while working out and is also convenient for storing if you don’t want to use the stand.
- Color coded and weight marked for ease and speed of use
- Convenient stand included
- Made from neoprene
- Non-slip and comfortable to grip
- Fixed weight
- Light weights
Backed by a 1 year warranty for those who just want a little boost to their home workout routine, the Amazon Basics Dumbbell Set is the best choice.
Unipack Neoprene Dumbbells
- 6,8,10lbs 3pairs of neoprene dumbbells
- Neoprene coated for a comfortable and non-slip grip
- Hexagonal design to prevent rolling of dumbbells, great for indoor and outdoor use
- Perfect for strength training, at-home workouts, jogging, walking, general exercise, yoga, aerobic and more
- Can be held in hands while walking to sculpt muscles and boost fat-burning
Unipack Neoprene Dumbbells are hexagonal dumbbells, which won’t roll around on your floor. They’re coated with a tacky neoprene finish, and won’t slip no matter how much of a sweat you’re working up.
These weights are very comfortable use, and are also easy to tell apart; they’re both color coded and marked with large, white numbers, so you won’t ever get confused between weights if you buy a set with multiple weights.
Speaking of which, Unipack offers an impressive selection. There are over 24 different combinations of weights available. Whether you’re looking for a basic set of 2-pound weights for running or a 10, 8 and 6-pound combo set for toning, there are plenty of options to find exactly what you need.
The only thing we didn’t like about this weight set was the fact that there’s nothing available heavier than 10 pounds. If you’re looking for strength training weights, look for a beefier set.
- Comfortable, neoprene-coated grip
- Color coded with clear weight markings
- Great for toning, light workouts, and jogging
- 24 different packages available
- Not heavy enough for strength training
These non-slip dumbbells are a perfect choice if you’re using weights during other exercises, like jogging, yoga, or aerobic workouts.
Rubber Round Dumbbell
- Knurled Chrome Handle
- Embossed Numbers
- 5-100 lbs.
- Residential or Commercial
- Resists chipping, flaking, peeling, corrosion
Body-Solid Rubber Round Dumbbell Singles are exactly what they sound like: single barbells, made out of rubber. On the one hand, the rubber design is very nice. It won’t scratch your floor, which is an excellent feature if you have hardwood floors, or any floor that’s easy to scratch. On the other hand, the high-density rubber is expensive. Expect to pay a premium for each individual weight.
Another advantage of the rubber design is their durability. Since there’s no finish to speak of, there’s nothing to chip, scratch, or rust. These dumbbells will last you for the rest of your life, provided you don’t take a chainsaw to them.
These dumbbells are a good choice for just about any exercise, whether you’re looking for low-intensity toning weights or heavy, 100-pound dumbbells for intense strength training. The stainless steel handles are textured along the full length of the grip, which provides plenty of traction while doing curls, aerobics, or other movements.
- Won’t scratch your floor
- Rugged design
- Textured handle for a secure grip
- Heavy enough for intense workouts
- Available from 5 to 100 pounds, in 5-pound increments
- Price is for a single dumbbell
These rubber dumbbells are an ideal choice if you’re working out on a hardwood floor.
DA VINCI Pair of Neoprene Dumbbells
- Neoprene covered dumbbells for a slip free comfortable grip
- Sold in pairs in variety of colors as shown
- Hexagonal design to prevent rolling of dumbbells
- Great for any kind of fitness conditioning
Da Vinci Neoprene Dumbbells are designed primarily for light workouts, such as yoga or toning. They’re also a good choice if you’re looking to carry a dumbbell during aerobic exercise, such as jogging or walking.
Either way, you’re getting very reasonably-priced weights, far more affordable than most you’ll see on the market. On the other hand, you get what you pay for. While the neoprene coating protects your floor and provides a secure grip, it isn’t very thick, and it wears down and cuts easily. When this happens, your weights are vulnerable to rust.
That said, Da Vinci makes a nice product for the price. These dumbbells are sold in pairs, which is convenient for almost all dumbbell exercises. They’re also color coded, with high-visibility white numbers to indicate the exact weight of each dumbbell.
Because these weights are designed primarily for toning, they’re sized for small hands. Depending on your size, this can be a good thing or a bad thing.
- Textured neoprene grip
- Color coded with clear weight markings
- Sold in pairs for convenience
- Neoprene coating isn’t very thick
These dumbbells are a solid, affordable choice for toning, yoga, and other light workouts that don’t require a large amount of weight.
CAP Barbell Hex Dumbbell
3 used from $ 35.44
- #VERSATILE - Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle groups or attain a full body workout.
- #CONSTRUCTION - Heads are made from ASTM A48 Class 20 grey iron joined together by a solid 1018 cold rolled steel chromed handle.
- #FEATURES - Original Hex Shaped heads prevent rolling. The medium depth knurling on the ergo handle provides essential grip and security during use. Coating is extremely durable and does not have an odor.
- #FUNCTIONAL - Perfect for isolations, full body, functional and HIIT workouts.
- #CHOICES - This dumbbell group from CAP is available in sizes from 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15-50 lbs in 5lb increments.
CAP Barbell Coated Hex Dumbbell Weights are rugged dumbbells that are available either individually or as a pair. While most people will prefer to buy a pair, it’s nice to have the option of buying just a single weight. After all, why pay for a second weight you’re not going to use?
These dumbbells have a tough, rubberized coating that protects them from corrosion and provides a minimal amount of scratch protection from your floors. However, this rubber comes with a downside; it outgasses while it’s curing. This means that if you get weights that were recently manufactured, they’re going to stink for up to a month or two.
These CAP barbells are useful for just about any exercise. You can buy 5, 8, 10 or 12-pound weights for lighter workouts. Alternatively, they’re also available in 5-pound increments from 15 to 50 pounds, which means they’re also suitable for strength training and more intense exercise.
- Available in 12 sizes, from 5 to 50 pounds
- Textured stainless steel grips
- Durable rubber coating
- Available individually or as a pair
These dumbbells are tough, rough, and ready to rumble. Expect them to last you for many years to come.
BalanceFrom Dumbbell Set with Stand
3 used from $ 29.96
- 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3-pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound sizes. Ideal for resistance and other trainings
- The durable, neoprene material coated cast iron is great for indoor and outdoor workouts
- Neoprene coating on weights allow for a secure grip. The Hex shape of the dumbbells prevents them from rolling
- Easy to Assemble. Weight stand is included. A Assembly tool is included for your Convenience too
- All genuine everyday essentials products are covered by a 2-year Warranty
BalanceFrom GoFit All-Purpose Dumbbells are neoprene-coated dumbbells that are available in 13 different sizes. All of these sizes are 18 pounds or lighter, so don’t expect to use them for any kind of intense strength training.
That said, they’re good quality for what they are. The neoprene coating provides plenty of grip, and prevents them from scratching tile, wood, and concrete. Not only that, but there are 15 different packages available. Not only can you buy a pair of dumbbells in any size, but there’s a 20-pound six-pack and a 3-pound six-pack available.
These six-packs come with a plastic stand. In theory, this would be a nice add-on, especially at the low price. Unfortunately, the stands are fairly flimsy, and they don’t come with instructions.
That said, if you’re looking for a good budget pair of dumbbells, BalanceFrom’s GoFit is a solid choice.
- Neoprene coated for extra grip
- Ideal for toning and other light workouts
- Color coded with bold white numbering
- Available in pairs or as a complete set
- Complete set comes with a stand
- Flimsy stand
- No stand assembly instructions
As long as you’re not looking for a top-quality stand, these dumbbells are a fantastic value for the price.
TELK Adjustable Dumbbells
- ADJUSTABLE SET OF 2 DUMBBELLS - 5 lbs to 52.5 lbs in 2.5-lbs increments. Includes TWO 16"x1.15" handles, SIXTEEN 5-lb plates, FOUR 2.5-lb plates, FOUR 1.25-lbs Plates, and FOUR Collars
- 100% CAST IRON WEIGHT PLATES - fit any standard bar. Baked enamel finish is rust-free and corrosion proof for a lifetime use of fitness and muscle building
- TWO 16-INCH TEXTURED CHROME HANDLES coated in high-quality chrome for a secure, non-slip grip. This set does NOT include the chrome barbell rod section.
- STAR-LOCK COLLARS WITH THREADED ENDS make it simple to swap plates while ensuring a safe, secure workout
- EASY STORAGE: Compact, all-in-one dumbbells eliminate the need for multiple dumbbells in your gym, garage, or workout space. Takes seconds to assemble so you can focus on strength exercises, toning muscle, and losing weight. Five-year warranty on weight plates and parts.
TELK Adjustable Dumbbells are much more than just a set of dumbbells. They also include a 10-inch adapter that can be used to screw both dumbbells together and convert them into a barbell. Essentially, you’re looking at a complete workout kit that can be broken down and stored easily without taking up a lot of space.
These dumbbells are available in three different packages: a lightweight 65-pound set, a 105-pound set, and a heavy-duty 200-pound set for serious strength training. The individual weight plates come in 2.5-pound, 5-pound, and 10-pound sizes, so you can mix and match them to provide exactly the weight you need for your individual workout.
The weights also feature a baked enamel finish. This finish won’t chip as easily as a painted finish, and provides better corrosion resistance. The entire set comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty, which tells us that TELK is very confident in their product.
- Available in 65-pound, 105-pound, and 200-pound sets
- Can be converted into a barbell
- Excellent choice for strength training
- Baked enamel finish resists corrosion
- Takes up very little space
- 5-year manufacturer’s warranty on weights and parts
- Lock collars come loose easily
These weights can be used as dumbbells, or converted into a barbell.
Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set
- Includes 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 lb pairs of rubber coated hex dumbbells, a heavy duty REP 3-tier dumbbell rack, measuring 3 ft high, 4 ft long, and 2 ft deep, and a free rubber mat
- Premium low odor rubber, fully knurled straight handle, secure press-fit and welded handle to secure dumbbell head to handle.
- Weight is accurate to within 3% for 25 lb and under, 2% for 30 lb and above
- Fully knurled straight handle with 28mm diameter from 5 to 20 lbs, and 34mm diameter handle for 25+ lbs. 34mm diameter adds comfort for heavy dumbbells, and full knurl offers superior grip versus semi-knurled "ergonomic" handles
- This item will be shipped via freight so your address must be accessible by a 40' truck and you will need to provide your phone number. The shipper will deliver to curbside only, and any changes to the delivery address will require an additional fee. Please see our shipping policy for more details.
The Rep Fitness Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set with Racks is a complete dumbbell kit that’s available in several configurations. Most of these configurations include a stand, and we heartily recommend this option. The weights are already expensive, and the stands don’t add much to the price, while they add a lot of value. Also, when you buy a set with a stand, you get a rubber floor mat, which can either be placed under the rack or used to cushion the floor while you work out.
The dumbbells themselves are well-engineered, with a tough, rubberized finish that can take a lot of abuse. If you’re trying to outfit a gym, it’s hard to do better than this weight set.
Be aware of your location, though. These dumbbells are shipped by freight, and your home or gym needs to be accessible by a 40-foot freight truck. That said, they’re well worth the money and the headache if quality is your primary concern.
- Complete kit, including rack
- Multiple selections available
- Rugged enough for gym use
- Tough, rubberized finish
- Includes a rubber floor mat
- Delivered by freight
If money is no object and you’re looking for a complete barbell kit, this is an excellent choice.
Key Features to Look For When Buying Dumbbells
There is a huge variety of dumbbells available from cheap dumbbells to premium dumbbells. Before making your decision on the best dumbbells for you it pays to research and inform yourself on the key things to look for. So let’s take a deeper look into the world of dumbbells.
Shape of Dumbbells
Generally speaking dumbbells come either rounded or hexagonal, hexagonal are preferred as once you place them down they can’t roll anywhere. This is a pretty clever yet simple safety feature.
Weight of Dumbbells
The weighting of dumbbells is important as this is the foundation of your strength exercise. Fixed dumbbells are exactly that – you can’t adjust the weight of them but you can buy these singularly. A cheaper option if you are looking for cheap dumbbells without sacrificing your home workout ability.
Adjustable dumbbells are the better choice as you can change the weights and workout out all the muscles in your body. Better for muscle progression this is the ideal choice.
Although often overlooked this is an important consideration in my opinion. Metal weight discs are very noisy if dropped and over time will wear at wooden floor boards. If you live anywhere near the ocean they are prone to rusting too.
Rubber coated weights are less noisy and will create significantly less mess. If you live near the ocean then these are the only realistic type as they cannot rust.
Different Types of Material Available
Urethane – High quality, very durable, this is commonly used with commercial gym dumbbells.
SBX – A synthetic, odorless and hard wearing rubber that is a combination of urethane and rubber.
Rubber – Durable, very tough and thick, the easiest to grip.
Steel – Solid, masculine dumbbells. Can be damaging to wooden floors.
With a good set of dumbbells your workout options are virtually endless. From muscle-building to fat-shredding dumbbells have got you covered. A must have for any home workout, the best dumbbells will have you achieving your fitness goals and sculpting your body within no time.