Need to find the best bike for an overweight female? It can be tough to find plus-size bikes. You need to find a bike that both accommodates your extra weight with ease and keeps you safe and comfortable when you ride it.
Sounds pretty simple, right?
Unfortunately, it’s not as easy a search as you would hope. Inventory of bikes for plus-size ladies is more limited than you might expect.
There is some good news, here. Considering that the size of the average jeans of American adult women is a size fourteen, some bicycle makers have responded. Finding a plus-size bicycle is no longer as it once was.
The main barrier to finding the best bike for overweight females is sifting through hundreds of bikes to determine the weight limit, take note of the construction, and whittle down the list to the few that are worth looking at—and we have done that for you.
Best Bikes for an Overweight Female
- HYBRID BIKE FOR WOMEN: Versatile women's hybrid commuter bicycle with 14 inch swooping step-through aluminum frame; perfect for cruise, leisure, and commute rides
- COMFORTABLE AND ERGONOMIC: City bike features an upright riding style which keeps your back and shoulders comfortable while on the move; road bike features a foot-forward design which helps to maintain proper leg extension
- 3-SPEED DESIGN: Beach cruiser bike features a 3-speed internal hub with an easy-to-use shifter, which enables you to handle longer distances and moderate hills; womens hybrid bike features a front handbrake and rear coaster brake to ensure precise stops
- SLEEK STYLE: These bikes for women feature a stylish, curvy frame with a comfortable dual-spring saddle; hybrid bicycles include matching fenders and rear rack for optional bike accessories such as baskets and panniers
- QUALITY TIRES: Adult hybrid bicycle features whitewall semi-slick tires which provide a cushioned, stable ride for easy rolling; each tire measures 24 L x 1. 95 W in inches
Bikes for obese adults can be challenging if you have physical challenges—like hoisting your leg to mount a bike. The EvryJourney step-through bike solves that problem for you. Designed for city riding and not the trails, this bike offers some fun features like a matching fenders and a rear rack.
- Aluminum frame
- Saddle has springs
- White wall semi slick tires
- 24″ tires
- Dutch-inspired step-through bicycle
- 3 speed shimano internal hub
- Rear rack
A Dutch-style bike is designed so that anyone can easily mount the bike by raising one leg just enough to step through to take your seat. It also enables you to ride in an upright position, not hunched over trying to grip the handlebars.
This bike has been designed as a cruiser but could work equally as a city commuter bike or for exploring the country roads. You’ll enjoy this bike in whichever environment you call home.
- Frame will support your weight
- Securely stop with front handbrake and rear coaster brake
- Dutch step-through style make this an ideal plus size bicycle
- Choose 3 or 7 speeds
- Stylish appearance
- Vegan leather grips and saddle cover
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty on the frame and one year on parts.
- Difficulty in assembling
- Cannot be used off-road or on trails
We are certain that the EvryJourney lifetime warranty on the frame should offer reassurance to shoppers who need a plus size bicycle, as they will replace the bike should your weight cause damage to the frame.
Huffy Panama Jack
- You can almost hear the ocean waves when you see this easy, breezy cruiser; ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet; Huffy's exclusive Perfect Fit frame makes this the most comfortable women's bike you'll ever ride
- The Perfect Fit frame's design delivers more comfort for more fun and a better ride; it places the seat farther back with a lower center of gravity; the swept-back handlebars enable a more upright, comfortable riding position with full leg extension
- Lightweight aluminum frame makes it easier to pedal for speed and acceleration; frame is backed by our limited 10-year warranty (see owner's manual for details); rear coaster brake provides dependable control as you need it, just pedal back to stop
- Alloy quick release enables easy seat adjustment and an adjustable handlebar ensures the right fit; seat has dual springs and luxurious padding for real comfort; there's even a roomy wicker basket, beverage holder, rear rack and bottle opener
- Single-speed bike arrives semi-assembled with all tools needed for fast, easy assembly; soft, cork-style grips have a wonderful touch; luscious, tropical blossoms on the chain guard, beverage holder, and frame add a mellow tone to this beautiful ride
If you have visions of yourself cruising down the boardwalk on a hot summer day, the Huffy Panama Jack Beach Cruiser will become your new fave.
You can tote all you need for a day on the beach, thanks to the wicker basket, cupholder, and rear rack. It’s an easy to operate single speed bike that’s you’ll master in minutes. A classic Panama Jack tropic floral print on the chain guard adds a touch of style.
- Soft cork style grips
- Tropical floral Panama Jack print
- Adjustable seat
- Aluminum frame with a 10-year warranty
- Rear coaster brakes
You’ll have so much fun cruising the beaches on this bike that you’ll forget that your exercising.
- Stylish bike with Panama Jack print and logo
- Champagne gold paint finish
- Adjust the seat height with a quick-release feature
- Swept back handlebars prevent you from hunching forward
- 10-year warranty on the aluminum frame
- Stylish accessories: wicker handlebar basket, cup holder, rear rack
- Size for women 5’ up – might not be as comfortable for taller women
- Single-speed limits riders to flat terrain
Remember that this bike has a 10-year warranty on the frame. Because of that warranty, this is a risk-free purchase.
Schwinn Meridian Tricycle
- Adult trike with 26-inch wheels, offers a comfortable riding experience for riders 5'4" to 6'2" in height, recommended weight limit is 300 pounds
- Low-maintenance single-speed drivetrain, low standover 15.5-inch aluminum frame, this tricycle offers lightweight strength and easy on/off access
- Keep your cargo securely with the redesigned basket, measures 480 x 585 x 290 mm, with a weight limit of 44 pounds, and it conveniently folds flat for storage when not in use
- Three wheels provide a more stable, balanced ride with wide upright adjustable handlebars, extra-large comfort cruiser saddle, great for older riders, lack of mobility, or unconfident riders
- Full coverage fenders add style while helping to keep you dry, and heavy duty double-wall alloy rims with oversized tires add strength and stability
Do you want to try bicycling again—perhaps for the first time in many years? Maybe the best bicycle for you is…a tricycle. Yep, your childhood favorite has made a resurgence in a stylish grown-up version. Not to mention that this bike is made by Schwinn, one of America’s favorite bicycle brands. The Schwinn brand is synonymous with those bikes of our childhoods!
- 24 or 26″ frames
- Attached rear basket
- Three-wheel tricycle – excellent stability
- Ten color choices
- Single-speed or 1-speed
- Step through aluminum frame
- Padded spring seat
- Front and rear fenders
This adult tricycle is a show stopper and conversation starter. Everyone you meet will compliment you on this bike.
The handlebar can also be adjusted from 37 inches to 40 inches tall for ultimate comfort while riding. This trike also includes front and rear linear pull hand brakes.
- Three-wheel bicycle easy for beginner level riders or those looking for more stability
- Fashionable color choices
- Unisex –but don’t let your man steal it!
- Step-through frame to mount easily
- Padded spring
- Requires much assembly
- Fenders are intended to keep clothing clean, but some users say they are more decorative than practical
Schwinn is a household name that you’ve trusted since childhood. Buy this tricycle knowing you are purchasing a brand you know and love.
RALEIGH Bikes Alysa
- Designed specifically for women riders who are ready for longer rides on the road or bike path
- Sizing: xs=5'-5'3", s=5'3"-5'6", m=5'6"-5'9", l=5'9"-6'
- Features a lightweight & durable high performance aluminum frame with Women's specific geometry and lightweight carbon fork for easy maneuverability
- Offers Shimano 16-spd drivetrain for easy shifting in varied terrain and Promax hydraulic disc brakes for ultimate stopping power in all conditions
- Features Raleigh women-specific saddle with chromoly rails and Raleigh comfort lock-on grips for added comfort
Are you shorter or taller than the average woman? That stature, combined with being a curvy gal, might frustrate you when shopping for a plus-size bike.
Enter the Raleigh Bikes Alysa, a fitness bike that comes in different size options, ranging from 5’ to 6’ and a few sizes in between. This bike allows you to choose based on your height, and it is sturdy enough to accommodate plus-size weight.
- Four size options
- Sturdy aluminum frame
- Carbon steel fork
- 16 speeds
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Saddle designed for women
- Upright riding position
- Double-wall rims
These features all mean one thing—the reliable construction that qualifies it as one of the best bikes for obese adults.
- Aluminum frame and carbon steel fork will accommodate the extra weight
- Hydraulic disc brakes provide smooth stopping
- The saddle is specifically designed to a woman’s backside, adding comfort
- Ride upright to reduce strain on back, neck, and shoulders
- Order the right size according to your stature for a more customized fit
- Requires up to 2 hours of assembly
- Not a step-through frame, which could challenge some overweight people
Don’t hesitate to order this bike, even if the assembly scares you. Raleigh has an online chat function and videos to help you through that daunting process.
Firth Sports Nadine SE
- Lightweight hand-built step-thru alloy frame design with an upright riding position designed for urban commuting, leisurely riding and exercise.
- Equipped with Shimano 7 speed drivetrain, RevoShift grip shifter for ultimate precision, speed and control.
- Front and rear alloy brakes to keep you safe and in control of your ride all times.
- Kenda 700C tires grip the ground for a dependable ride every time. Rear mounted, color matched rack and fender included.
- Fits riders from 5'3" to 6'1" tall; The bike is 85% assembled
Great performance meets great, feminine looks and details with the Firth Sports Nadine Step-thru Bike. This bike comes in a rainbow of female-friendly colors and equipped with a rear rack and leather roll bag to stow away your essentials as you ride.
- 7 speeds
- Front and rear brakes
- City tires
- Step thru frame
- Alloy aluminum
- Rear rack matches the bike’s paint color
- Rear storage bag
- 7 Color options
This is noted as a “medium” size, so it will fit women of average heights.
- 7 speeds Shimano shifter
- Wide faux leather saddle
- Storage roll bag and rear rack allow you to take all you need for a long ride
Fenders to keep you clean and dry
- Fashionable color options: blue, green, black, pink, red, teal, vanilla
- Front and rear hand brakes allow for easy stopping
- Requires assembly, some users noted that the instructions were rather generic
- The saddle could use more padding for added comfort
- Comes in one size for average height women
When you want a great looking bike with many color options and great performance, the Firth Sports Nadine is a serious contender. You’ll really enjoy this bike.
Retrospec Critical Cycles
- Women's 21-speed Hybrid bike with sturdy yet lightweight 6061 aluminum Step-Thru frame designed to take on a variety of terrains
- Zoom suspension fork soaks up the bumps for increased comfort and improved handling
- Kenda Kwest road tires feature a semi slick tread for low rolling resistance and water dispersion grooves for all weather riding
- Brand components such as a Shimano Tourney 21 speed drivetrain for easy reliable shifting & Mega range gearing to help you tackle the steepest hills
- Complete with comfortable upright handlebars, comfort saddle, twist grip shifters, ergonomic brake levers, and a sturdy rear mount kickstand.
For those cyclists who want the style of a beach cruiser but the multi-use flexibility of a performance bike, the best plus size bicycle could be the Retrospec Critical Cycles Lady’s Hybrid Bike.
This bicycle gives you the stylish, easy look and walk through frame you expect from a beach bike and combines it with a 21-speed drive train that allows you to scale hills, commute to work, or get super fit.
- Step thru frame
- Aluminum frame
- 21 speeds
- Road tires
- Shimano twist grip shifters
- Comfort saddle
You’ll be able to tackle tough terrains or cruise the boardwalks with the Retrospec Lady’s Hybrid Bike. It has the features you need and the good looks you want.
- Step thru frame for easy seating
- Road tires that glide easily through most conditions
- Aluminum frame
- Shift easily with the Shimano shifters and experience the performance of 21 speeds
- Tires are not rugged enough for rocky, mountainous trails
For good street performance and casual good looks, the Retrospec is a bike you’ll enjoy. Don’t hesitate to order this product.
Schwinn Phocus 1500
- Aluminum fitness frame with sport suspension fork makes for fast, efficient riding; 700c wheels fit riders 64 to 74 inches tall
- 24 speed shifters with front and rear derailleurs provides a wide gear range and precise shifting while you ride
- Mechanical disc brakes supply crisp, efficient stopping on every ride
- High profile double wall alloy rims are light and strong, offering crucial stability and durability
- Alloy cranks and 8-speed cassette offers optimal gearing performance
Do you plan to ride your bike as your primary way to lose weight or become fitter? Consider the Schwinn Phocus 1500. While it’s sleek look is appealing, it’s truly built for punishing the roadways. As you become more fit, this bike will keep up with you and help you meet every goal.
- Choice of 17” or 19” frame to suit taller women
- Shimano shifter grips
- 24 speed
- Front and rear disc handbrakes
- Double-wall rims are strong
- Aluminum fitness frame
If you have every intention of getting fit, select a bike that will continue to serve your needs. This Schwinn is the best bike for an overweight female who plans to get lean.
- Designed for use as a fitness bike
- Two frame options allow you to order according to your height
- 24 speeds allow you to shred even the steepest hills
- Aluminum frame is lightweight but strong
- Only comes in one color, a silvery gray
- Not for off-road use
Feel confident ordering knowing that you are investing in Schwinn, a beloved American brand.
ENSTVER Urban Lady Beach Cruiser
- Single-speed bike great for cruising on flat terrain for casual, comfortable riding around the neighborhood
- 26-inch,2.125-inch wide wheels with large waffle tread tires provide a cushioned ride for easy rolling
- Simple pedal backwards coaster brake makes stoping easy
- Oversized seat with dual springs for added comfort; wide handlebars with foam grips,both height is adjustable
- Fits riders from 5 feet to 6 feet, 2 inches tall
Those who wish to invest in an easy-to-use one-speed bike for cruising at the beach or around the neighborhood should take a look at the ENSTVER Urban Lady Beach Cruiser. Not only will you master riding this bike quickly, you’ll look stylish doing it!
- Comes in three stylish color options: purple, red, or teal
- On-speed bike
- Oversized seat with foam cushion
- Dual springs seat post
- Wide tread tires
- Fenders add style and protection from splashes
- Rear coaster brakes
You’ll love the stylish color choices, which include a hard-to-find purple as much as you’ll enjoy the widened, cushy seat.
- Single-speed, no learning curve for shifting gears
- Coaster brakes
- Three great color, choose your favorite
- Cushioned saddle with dual springs and foam seat pad
- Step-through frame for easy seating
- Single-speed limits cyclists to flatter terrain
- Because of the rear fender, it’s not compatible with a rear rack
We consider this bicycle for overweight females because of the seat. With the dual springs and the padded saddle that’s wide enough for your curves, we are confident you will love this beach bike.
Diamondback Bicycles Lux
- Devine designs Women's specific fit 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame with added standover clearance
- 27.5 inch wheels provide great traction and a stable ride
- SR Suntour soft spring 80mm suspension fork provides a compliant ride
- Shimano 8-speed shifters and derailleurs deliver reliable performance
The Diamondback mountain bike brand is one of the most beloved bikes by cycling enthusiasts. They are famous for the sturdy but lightweight aluminum alloy frame construction and making tires that hold up to dirt and rocky mountain trails.
- 5” wheels
- Women fitted bike
- Aluminum alloy frame
- Stand over clearance
- Shimano shifters
- 3 x 8 drivetrain for 24 gears
- Disc brakes
- Coil-spring fork
- Adjustable seat
- Ready to ride
- The dedicated customer service team
We added the Diamondback Lux bike to the “Best Bike for Overweight Female” list because of the wheels. These 27.5” wheels add traction and stability that will help the bike distribute the extra weight with ease.
One of the greatest features of this plus size bicycle is the “Ready Ride” functionality. It is shipped fully assembled. All you need to do is fill the tires and ride.
- Arrives fully assembled, just pump up the tires
- 24 total gears
- Oversized tires allow easier operation for a larger person
- Coil spring fork will help control the bike
- Adjustable seat
- Sized for ladies 5’5” and under
- Some users indicated that the purchased a gel seat cover to increase saddle comfort
Because of Diamondback’s reputation for excellence and the fact that you won’t need the tool skills to assemble this bike, you can purchase this bike with confidence.
There are many bicycle styles out there. Decide if you want a beach cruiser, road bike, mountain bike, or a hybrid that mashes up two of those styles. Also, keep in mind your height and order the frame that will fit you most comfortably.
Comfort features are essential when seeking the best bike for an overweight female or the best bike for a fat person because, without that comfy feeling, you will not be inspired to keep riding. If you need a helmet or bike rack to go with your new purchase, Fitness Equipment Reviews have selected the best brands & choices.
Choosing the best bike for overweight females is easy with our detailed reviews.